ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #241
JHVA OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,864
Hey Todd,

Gonna try and get out this week sometime unless someone beats me to it! That road the Tag is on has long since been ruined. Used to be a nice pot holy dirt road when I first moved to Williamsburg back in 1987.

j

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #242
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 564
Dirt Roads

Hey inmates-

Looking for local dirt roads. I need to log some time on the loose gravel and don't want to travel to the mountains every time.

So I looking for winding dirt roads within 60 mins of Williamsburg.

Who can help?
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #243
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post
Hey inmates-

Looking for local dirt roads. I need to log some time on the loose gravel and don't want to travel to the mountains every time.

So I looking for winding dirt roads within 60 mins of Williamsburg.

Who can help?

The farther out the more there is. In Gloucester there is some at Cunningham Road then up by Salem Church. Last near oh I better not say. But with the Cooler weather and less.light more of us stay close.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:15 AM   #244
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Okay which inmate rides a Red GS...saw you this am on 199 around Monticello @ 7:35
Old 11-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #245
JHVA OP
Beastly Adventurer

Last year there was gravel and dirt roads in a new subdivision being cleared off of Forge rd in upper James City County. On the left as you head toward Chickahominy Haven.

Like Mike said Salem Church Rd is gravel. Take 33 through West Point, at light go across to Glenn's Rd, Salem Church is a couple miles on the right.

Also go 33 through West Point and before Rapp Comm College there's a left for Pierce Rd (647) follow Pierce to around a curve and then bear left onto Batt Rd. Batt Rd dead ends but a nice narrow gravel Road.

From West Point, 14 to Lombardy to a left on Iris Rd, Iris crosses an intersection and a few miles (bearing right) down Iris you will come to the Jeep Trail on the right. If you end up at the entrance to King and Queen landfill then you passed the entrance to the trail.

Truhart Rd off of 14. Grab 14 out of West Point and head West. Truhart will be on your right about 6-8 miles.

Then there's the road to the VOR in Gloucester. Will have to dig up the directions (Has been tagged many times :)

So, there are a few places plus the short road behind Stonehouse that I have told ya about already.

cheers,

j

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster

JHVA screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 09:17 AM
Old 12-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #246
JHVA OP
Beastly Adventurer

Todd,

I see you and Ryan hit the mud road today! Did you guys find the jeep trail over near the King and Queen Landfill? There's also a bit of off-roading to the VOR out behind the West Point airport.

j

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
Old 12-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #247
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
Todd,

I see you and Ryan hit the mud road today! Did you guys find the jeep trail over near the King and Queen Landfill? There's also a bit of off-roading to the VOR out behind the West Point airport.

j
There were a few muddy motorcycles at Nick's on 14.

Wee Strommin along.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #248
JHVA OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
Those were ADVers that rode the mud road today!

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
Old 12-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #249
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
Yeah that was Nicole, michub, splitlaneslikemoses, Jeremy, & I after the mud road and some gravel...
Old 03-08-2014, 03:01 PM   #250
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Wow this got left in December of 2012. It needed a bump.

Wee Strommin along.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #251
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Yuz guyz need to hit Northern Neck Burger Company in Kilmarnock.

Wee Strommin along.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:29 AM   #252
laughatmyvanagon111
Wet Side of the Mountains

Oddometer: 209
Help me learn...

Hi Williamsburg area inmates.

I've been on this site for a while but I mostly lurk and learn. I recently purchased a '02 BMW GSA and I need some help. I'm taking a longer ride out of country in the fall and I need someone or a recommendation of someone (or a repair shop) that I could pay to spend a few hours running me through some of the emergency repairs I might need to make out in the middle of nowhere.

I've recently ordered a repair manual for my bike and I plan on studying it but I need some more hands on experience. I'm mechanically inclined but I've never had to do so much as change a flat tire out on the road. Basically, I don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere out on my own trying to figure things out. So I would be willing to pay someone to show me and run through some things that may happen out on the road and how I can do the necessary repairs. I've always done the basic maintenance on my other bike (a GSXR1000) but this GSA is new to me.

Even better if someone knows of someone that has bike specific experience with the GSA although I don't know if that is absolutely necessary.

A little background...my technical address is out in Tacoma, WA. I drive a truck long haul and use that Tacoma, WA address basically for licensing purposes. I also keep my GSXR out there at my company's truck terminal so I can ride when I'm out there. However, my parents live in Williamsburg and I keep my new-to-me GSA out here. I spend most of my time off in Williamsburg these days and will probably relocate near there in the next couple of years.

As an aside, I look forward maybe to hooking up with a few of you nuts for some riding when I get my hometime back in Williamsburg. I come back every couple of months for about 3-4 days at a time. I gotta keep the truck tires rolling to make money so I don't take a lot of time off but when I do, it's usually in Williamsburg.

So, does anyone know where I can start with my request? Should I just contact the previous owner's mechanics (a BMW dealership north of Richmond) and just pay the mechanic his hourly rate to run me through the issues I may encounter?

Thanks for any help everyone!
John
laughatmyvanagon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:53 AM   #253
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Welcome to the area when you get here.

Hey there are a bunch of GS and GSA owners in this area and Northern Virginia. Though the Vstrom may be taking over. If you hang out on the chatter forums for Hampton Roads, Richmond, Southern Maryland, Charlottesville, Northern Virginia and Cat Herders are some good people and maintenance get togethers. Just stay clear of the SMIB thread . The place North of Richmond sounds like Mortons. They have a good reputation.

There is a maintenance get together up in Northern Virginia next weekend with a BMW crowd. See this forum. I don;t have any but the guy sells some maintenance DvD.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=950749

I don't know much about it but I believe the BMW BMW may be something to look at.

http://www.bmwbmw.org/

You may add what your plans for a trip. There are several in area that have been on trip outside the US and may have good advice.

These could be all merged together
Hampton Roads
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8228&page=1322
N Virginia
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...52022&page=351
Richmond
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...6843&page=1881
Catherders
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2683&page=1918

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughatmyvanagon111 View Post
Hi Williamsburg area inmates.

I've been on this site for a while but I mostly lurk and learn. I recently purchased a '02 BMW GSA and I need some help. I'm taking a longer ride out of country in the fall and I need someone or a recommendation of someone (or a repair shop) that I could pay to spend a few hours running me through some of the emergency repairs I might need to make out in the middle of nowhere.

I've recently ordered a repair manual for my bike and I plan on studying it but I need some more hands on experience. I'm mechanically inclined but I've never had to do so much as change a flat tire out on the road. Basically, I don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere out on my own trying to figure things out. So I would be willing to pay someone to show me and run through some things that may happen out on the road and how I can do the necessary repairs. I've always done the basic maintenance on my other bike (a GSXR1000) but this GSA is new to me.

Even better if someone knows of someone that has bike specific experience with the GSA although I don't know if that is absolutely necessary.

A little background...my technical address is out in Tacoma, WA. I drive a truck long haul and use that Tacoma, WA address basically for licensing purposes. I also keep my GSXR out there at my company's truck terminal so I can ride when I'm out there. However, my parents live in Williamsburg and I keep my new-to-me GSA out here. I spend most of my time off in Williamsburg these days and will probably relocate near there in the next couple of years.

As an aside, I look forward maybe to hooking up with a few of you nuts for some riding when I get my hometime back in Williamsburg. I come back every couple of months for about 3-4 days at a time. I gotta keep the truck tires rolling to make money so I don't take a lot of time off but when I do, it's usually in Williamsburg.

So, does anyone know where I can start with my request? Should I just contact the previous owner's mechanics (a BMW dealership north of Richmond) and just pay the mechanic his hourly rate to run me through the issues I may encounter?

Thanks for any help everyone!
John

Wee Strommin along.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:20 PM   #254
laughatmyvanagon111
Wet Side of the Mountains

Oddometer: 209
thanks!

Thanks Biker128 for all the info.

Wish I was around that area for the maintenance meet up next weekend but I'm actuly heading back out to Washington again.

Yes Mortins is correct. I'll look into those other forums and threads when I have legitimate WiFi and not using my phone.

My plans are roughly a trip through Mexico and Guatemala in late fall. Thanks again for the info and looking forward to possibly riding with everyone when I'm back in town.
laughatmyvanagon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:43 AM   #255
JHVA OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughatmyvanagon111 View Post
Thanks Biker128 for all the info.

Wish I was around that area for the maintenance meet up next weekend but I'm actuly heading back out to Washington again.

Yes Mortins is correct. I'll look into those other forums and threads when I have legitimate WiFi and not using my phone.

My plans are roughly a trip through Mexico and Guatemala in late fall. Thanks again for the info and looking forward to possibly riding with everyone when I'm back in town.
Get in contact with an inmate on here Jeff Munn. He's traveled outside the country and South of the border. He would be a great resource. His inmate info is here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=4663

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster