Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #48976
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by pngaudioguy View Post
I remember hearing someone say that "Baldy", the one who runs advrider is somehow affiliated with smugmug, and it somehow benefits him if you use smugmug, but can't remember how. Anyone with insight?

Baldy owns smug mug.

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #48977
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane_N View Post
Thanks for the confirmation Wayne, I'm thinking that might be the way I'd like to go with mine too. Besides It would be a shame to not keep our Honzuki's as similar as possible, wouldn't it?
Indeed!
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #48978
XR BADGER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR BADGER View Post
Ok, I think I got it now, thanks everyone for the help with this, whew 07 with 475 miles now.

XR BADGER screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 05:23 PM
XR BADGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #48979
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
I told Barron I would get back to him about some electrical issues I was having last week with the rear lights. Barron... Thanks for responding with some tips. I was never able to get the lights working properly. I did get the turn signals working somewhat but not the tail light. I don't think my tail light is fried because I was able to get both lights (brake and tail) to light by connecting one of the wires... I think the problem is in my green/yellow wire... never could get anything to light when connecting with it. I'm going to get back to this wiring issue later in the Winter and use the last few (somewhat) warm weeks here riding instead. I plan to completely rework the wiring, add heated grips, and maybe an additional power source/plug-in over the Winter... So I'll just deal with it all at the same time.

Saturday was an exceptionally nice day where I live so I decided it would be better to forgo maintenance in the garage and spend the day riding instead! I quickly patched up the wires and hit the road. I just got my XRL a few ago and until Saturday had yet to put her in the dirt. Figured I head to an old 4wheeler trail that I hadn't been on in years.......

I was just cruising along and all of sudden............. whoops!

I never saw this mud hole! Perfectly disguised by the leaves! I knew that after looking at the front wheel I was doomed!

This was damn sticky mud. I ended up having to call for help... Still after all of these years my dad is happy to come to the rescue for dumb shit I do! I don't have a pic of the truck and tow strap pulling it out but here's the front wheel after exiting the hole.

That's a Kenda Challenger up front and Bridgestone Spitfire on the rear... Not recommended for mud holes! After picking as much mud out as we could with a stick I mounted her again for a very slick ride home.

Here I am just before heading home. Notice that little tiny wet spot just beyond my left handlebar grip... That was the only indication of the mud hole... otherwise it was covered with leaves and looked identical to the rest of the trail.

The rest of the day was spent with a hose pipe in one hand and a beer in the other. Little adventure and quality time with my dad... Not too bad of a day after all!

Soooo... lessons learned:

1. Leaves hide mud really well.
2. Get new tires.
3. Probably better idea to ride with someone (this wasn't possible though).
4. Think of some way to self-rescue... Maybe bring a come-along with me on solo rides.

Anybody have experience with a come-along, dual sports, and mud? Anyone know of a good compact come-along?
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #48980
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
i'll tell you whats wrong with your bike it needs a compression check! If you ride an xr650l, please be careful. Yes, low compression happens and can strike without notice. Be prepaired. Did you know you only have a limited time to check your compression? Did you know that fritzcoinc can help even if you don't have a license or insurance? And we never charge when you have your compression checked.

here's what you need. Sell or trade. Someone take my compression gage, please! Make offer by pm.

sold!!!
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #48981
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Laugh Another aftermarket slip-on fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsdad View Post
let me preface by saying i'm a fan of mendoteach, and follow his advice word for word, typically; however, my experience was much different in the aftermarket exhaust realm. i put the vance and hines xcr exhaust on (with a ceramic coated stock header), and it made a HUGE difference to me. i'm 250 lbs, and it will pull wheelies much easier now, even in third with a good yank of the bars and a little clutch. power over all is much better through the whole curve, with quite a bit more top end than before. my exhaust is definitely on the loud side, fyi. just my $0.02.
Same here, I put on a Big Gun slip-on, its a straight-through design, not internally baffled like Mendoteachs FMF quiet pipe, and it gave me big gains from the bottom all the way up...it revs quicker and pulls longer on top, plus gave me even more of the massive torque I love most about this bike....and made the throttle response snappier ta' boot

My Big Gun is also much lighter than the stocker, and with the quiet insert in I can trail ride without earplugs no prob, it only barks when you're getting on it hard, and then it just sounds good to me, still not too loud imo. Plus it looks really good on the bike
For me it was money well spent
Old 11-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #48982
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
Anybody have experience with a come-along, dual sports, and mud? Anyone know of a good compact come-along?
That mud just looked nasty. Never thought about a come-along, but I had considered one of those small block and tackle rigs they use for lifting game up in the tree to field dress them.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #48983
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I told Barron I would get back to him about some electrical issues I was having last week with the rear lights. Barron... Thanks for responding with some tips. I was never able to get the lights working properly. I did get the turn signals working somewhat but not the tail light. I don't think my tail light is fried because I was able to get both lights (brake and tail) to light by connecting one of the wires... I think the problem is in my green/yellow wire... never could get anything to light when connecting with it. I'm going to get back to this wiring issue later in the Winter and use the last few (somewhat) warm weeks here riding instead. I plan to completely rework the wiring, add heated grips, and maybe an additional power source/plug-in over the Winter... So I'll just deal with it all at the same time.

Saturday was an exceptionally nice day where I live so I decided it would be better to forgo maintenance in the garage and spend the day riding instead! I quickly patched up the wires and hit the road. I just got my XRL a few ago and until Saturday had yet to put her in the dirt. Figured I head to an old 4wheeler trail that I hadn't been on in years.......

I was just cruising along and all of sudden............. whoops!

I never saw this mud hole! Perfectly disguised by the leaves! I knew that after looking at the front wheel I was doomed!

This was damn sticky mud. I ended up having to call for help... Still after all of these years my dad is happy to come to the rescue for dumb shit I do! I don't have a pic of the truck and tow strap pulling it out but here's the front wheel after exiting the hole.

That's a Kenda Challenger up front and Bridgestone Spitfire on the rear... Not recommended for mud holes! After picking as much mud out as we could with a stick I mounted her again for a very slick ride home.

Here I am just before heading home. Notice that little tiny wet spot just beyond my left handlebar grip... That was the only indication of the mud hole... otherwise it was covered with leaves and looked identical to the rest of the trail.

The rest of the day was spent with a hose pipe in one hand and a beer in the other. Little adventure and quality time with my dad... Not too bad of a day after all!

Soooo... lessons learned:

1. Leaves hide mud really well.
2. Get new tires.
3. Probably better idea to ride with someone (this wasn't possible though).
4. Think of some way to self-rescue... Maybe bring a come-along with me on solo rides.

I'm not sure whats worse, that suprise mudhole....or seeing all the smog stuff still stuck on the side of you're bike
Old 11-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #48984
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I'm not sure whats worse, that suprise mudhole....or seeing all the smog stuff still stuck on the side of you're bike
Ha! Funny you mention that... I'm looking up de-smogging right now... One of the many things I plan to do this Winter... My Winter to-do list is getting really long.
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #48985
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech View Post
Went to place my order, when i checked for shipping, the cost was $30 bucks... WTF! it is so expensive shipping to Canada . Thanks for the link Spud!
I'm sorry to hear of the exorbitant shipping charges, CC. Shipping inside the United States is only $7.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #48986
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Ha! Funny you mention that... I'm looking up de-smogging right now... One of the many things I plan to do this Winter... My Winter to-do list is getting really long.
Yeah but when you get those winter mods done you're not going to believe its the same bike that you bought stock
Old 11-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #48987
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Damn Spud, I think you single handedly caused a run on Tusk grip heaters today! I got two pair also... Thanks for the heads up!...

You're welcome.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 11-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #48988
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
...I was just cruising along and all of sudden............. whoops!

Not that's a mud hole!

Spud
Old 11-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #48989
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,547
Yes, I remember that NC mud... sticky sticky stuff! Not much worse than the Oregon clay out here though.

I hope Santa comes early this year. I need my new clutch soon!
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:59 AM   #48990
XR650L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Rack

Custom made to take Rotapac Fuel tanks and sleeping bag, tent etc on back. Bolt straight onto subframe supports. Let me know if you want more pictures of it.

Quote:
Hey... what rear rack is that? Looks wide and solid!