Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #31501
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attico View Post
My r1200gs is cheaper to insure than the wrr. Mine is about $320/ year. The GS is about $250
That doesn't even make sense, a $15,000+ dollar bike costs less to insure than a $6,000 one?

Of my bikes, I only have full coverage on my Tenere due to the loan, but adding the WR to my policy with liability, animal strikes, and fire / theft coverage was... $12 a year.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #31502
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
None of these numbers are comparable to one another. Everyone's insurance profile and history are different, and different insurance companies have different risk profiles and loss histories. For example, my insurance is always high, to cover the gap between normal limits and a business-derived umbrella cap.

The only way to know if a WRR is expensive or cheap to insure is to work with your agent and get an apples-to-apples quote for a wide variety of motorcyles. Use the same liability limits, un / under-insured and medical limits, same collision and comprehensive limits. I can get quotes on-line from my insurance company. Every January I get quotes for 20-30 motorcyles of various types and model years (back to a 1990 CB-1 and a 1998 YZF-600R, which I used as reference points). Each year, the premiums change a little, generally trending downward as bikes age. Supersports and Hypersports cost the most for me; DS bikes and that old CB-1 are the cheapest.

Also note that it can take a year or two (or five) for some insurance companies to get a "new" bike into the correct risk/loss category. For 5 years, my quoted premium for a Sprint ST was the same as a GSX-R1000. Finally it is now in the correct category - at about half the cost.

Also, a WRX is twice the price for me as the similar WRR, due to the risk profile of a street bike (same premium as a Ninja 250) versus that of a dirt bike (same premium as a CRF230L, despite very different purchase / replacement costs).

Insurance is complicated. You must use an apples-to-apples approach for comparison with only your company. You have to do it twice to cross-shop companies. Welcome to 21st Century America. Have fun and stay safe.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #31503
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
Hey mpatch,

I am interested in a TCI products Borega rack like yours. Did you have any mounting problems? Is it functioning the way you wanted? I have Wolfman racks on so I'm not sure if there is any interference. If anyone has that setup can you chime in with any known problems in mounting both.
Paul
I have the Wolfman racks and at one time tried to mount the TCI. It was a no go and I definitely wanted to keep the Wolfmans so I just went with the ProMoto Billet rack. As I recall the TCI and the Wolfmans both use a common attachment point and it looked like some custom fabrication would be required to make them both work.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #31504
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #31505
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetors View Post
That's an amazing image.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #31506
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhd1223 View Post
That's an amazing image.
Right place at the right time, my friend! When I left from my house it was 33 degrees, probably about 45 at the time of the pic.I thought it was really cool seeing the water evaporating from the creek. This part of the oklahoma TAT too.
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:49 AM   #31507
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset_ryder View Post
About how much for full coverage insurance on one of these?
$90/yr in SW Colorado.
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:50 AM   #31508
jkstehn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset_ryder View Post
About how much for full coverage insurance on one of these?
280 per year in LA area with Progressive.

This was my first year on a motorcycle and only third year with endorsement and I am sure the insurance computers that know everything about me know it. Hoping it will go down at some point.
jkstehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:11 AM   #31509
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW Ronin View Post
I have the Wolfman racks and at one time tried to mount the TCI. It was a no go and I definitely wanted to keep the Wolfmans so I just went with the ProMoto Billet rack. As I recall the TCI and the Wolfmans both use a common attachment point and it looked like some custom fabrication would be required to make them both work.
Same thing re: the GYTR rack and Wolfman racks, which also use the same attachment point on the left side. When I inquired, Wolfman advised me by email these 2 are incompatible. I posted the same here, and immediately several people posted photos of GYTR rack and Wolfman racks, proving it can be done.

You are probably correct since you tried it yourself, just saying...
Old 11-15-2012, 07:07 AM   #31510
coresports
coresports

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetors View Post
excellent photo!!!
coresports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #31511
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW Ronin View Post
TNX WW Ronin,

That is what I needed to find out before doing another this farkle don't fit with that farkle mistake; (Lot of experience with that problem on my KTM 990) Does anyone sell a large area flatplate rack for the rear that just uses the 4 top threaded bolts like the pro moto racks? I'm trying to get a wider mounting surface than the smaller triangle shape racks to support a medium size ortlieb bag and camping gear. Yes you can use the small triangle racks, but I'd like to try for a little more support and attachment points.

pfy50 screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 07:37 AM
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #31512
Buzzbomber
Not Dr. Who...

Oddometer: 1,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
TNX WW Ronin,
Does anyone sell a large area flatplate rack for the rear that just uses the 4 top threaded bolts like the pro moto racks? I'm trying to get a wider mounting surface than the smaller triangle shape racks to support a medium size ortlieb bag and camping gear. Yes you can use the small triangle racks, but I'd like to try for a little more support and attachment points.
Yes - these guys. http://www.automotivemachine.com/ind...d=51&Itemid=56

I have their triangle rack and it's worked great for my needs. They don't include attachment bolts though. When I bought mine it didn't come with spacers either but I see they include them now.
Buzzbomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:19 AM   #31513
bradrh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
ktm windscreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech View Post
http://www.ktm-parts.com/76508065000.html

blam orderd on friday got it on tuesday to illnois

the shape is better than those old man shields

had to order a new headlight shroud today to i butcherd the old one finding a good place for the shield and from the frankin alumin shield i had on it before i bought the ktm

16.99 for the oem shroud from the local yamaha dealer
How about some pix of your mounting system?
Old 11-15-2012, 08:22 AM   #31514
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,252
So with the demise of the rear Pirelli MT16 tire (it didn't stand up to 200 miles of highway at 80 mph, shedding knobs and spliting knobs.) I've opted to go with the following:

Pirelli Scorpion XC Mid-hard. According to Pirelli it's a DOT tire rated to 100 mph.

First comments:
The rear knobs are definitely harder rubber than the MT16 and shorter. The tire carcass is also much, much stiffer. Not really any heavier, just stiffer.

The Front tire - I'm sure if I should be impressed or frightened! The knobs are smaller, wider spaced than the MT16 and a harder rubber. I truly believe that street riding is going to be heavily impacted - that the front tire's going to be pretty sketch at speeds over 65. That it's supposed to be good to 100+ mph, LOL! I'm not going to go that fast!

I'll post up in a couple weeks on other thoughts. I'll get them mounted and reviewed in a week.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #31515
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrh View Post
How about some pix of your mounting system?
I had one of those on my 950SE. Just drill four holes in the headlight shroud plastic and bolt it on. However, I think the plastic on the WR-R is smaller, thinner, flimsier than the shroud on my SE. If it were me I'd reinforce the WR plastic with something to stiffen it. YRMV.

In any case, it was better for looks than for functionality, though it did deflect a minimal amount of wind on my chest.
GSBS is online now   Reply With Quote