User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #31
tdvt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
I have my parents abandoned '02 Passat 4motion wagon sitting in my yard. It wouldn't pass inspection with the loose front end (8 sups. links, I think) & the brakes are trashed. It still actually runs quite well & the body work isn't bad for 164,000 miles of Vermont roads & winters. From the parts "kits" available, it seems the front ends are are common problem area. They've also had the oil pressure warning issue, as well as the leaking sunroof, which then corrodes some key electrical components under the floor mat. My son & I are going to resurrect it for this winter then pass it along next year.

As for a euro car, I love my '98 Volvo V70. I have the base version; no turbo, manual transmission, FWD (not AWD) reasonable to repair & simple by comparison to cars these days. On the other hand, my wife's V70 XC(AWD) really went in the snow & was generally reliable but had so many mickey-mouse issues that we burnt out, It was overly complex & was always $$$$ to fix. We had a love/hate relationship with it but finally sold it last week (205,000 mi)
tdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #32
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,243
My past three vehicles have been VW's. I drive 50K-60K a year and keep the cars until about 200K rounds. First was a 2004 Jetta GLI VR6. That car ran to 200K on nothing but oil changes, tires, one timing belt and set of plugs. Maybe a couple of bulbs, original brakes, clutch, etc...

Next up was a 2008 GTi 2.0T. Great car except the direct injection turbo was a problem. Kept carboning up and running like shit. Spent well over 2K on repairs to get it to 160K, but still on original clutch, brakes, etc...

Currently driving a 2011 CC 2.0T. Love the car and was hoping the got the direct injection problems solved. I was wrong. Just spent about 1.2K getting that sorted out at 70K miles.

I love the VW's ergonomics, they just fit me. Fun to drive and generally pretty reliable. I would not recommend any of them with the 2.0T direction injection motor, unless you're willing to open up your wallet.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #33
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,033
Our Passat hit 80k miles today. Still waiting for it to blow up so I can rebuild it with a K04 big turbo kit.

Mike, what did they do for $1200? Clean the valves and replace the intake manifold assembly?
jdiaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #34
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro View Post
My wife's on her 2nd mini. Fantastic cars so far with excellent, though really not used warranty coverage.

Very long service intervals as well.
I flirted with the notion of Mini ownership a few years back, but dismissed it because of lack of service/parts availability locally.

They really do look like cool cars.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #35
bigsnowdog
Sylvan Dweller

Oddometer: 18,908
I could not find anything as nicely detailed, with enough leg room, as the A6. I looked at everything American, Japanese, and European, except for Benz. Nothing was better as far as I could see. No manufacturer made something in which I could straighten out my legs other than Audi and the Passat. I found it remarkable that manufacturers like Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, did not have the leg room.

NRA life

"It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on."
Marilyn Monroe

bigsnowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #36
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,301
No matter what breaks on an Audi its costs a minimum of $1200!

No matter what breaks on an Audi it ends up being called "Oh Yeah the Dreaded Audi (insert name of malady here) problem" and every Audi owner is aware of it.

No matter what breaks on an Audi you must fully disassemble the automobile in order to repair it. Then you are told that even though its just the thermostat you might as well and go ahead and rebuild the engine as long as the car is completely apart.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #37
bigsnowdog
Sylvan Dweller

Oddometer: 18,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamala View Post
No matter what breaks on an Audi its costs a minimum of $1200!

No matter what breaks on an Audi it ends up being called "Oh Yeah the Dreaded Audi problem" and every Audi owner is aware of it.

No matter what breaks on an Audi you must fully disassemble the automobile in order to repair it. Then you are told that even thoughts its just the thermostat you might as well and go ahead and rebuild the engine as long as the car is completely apart.
It's good that you don't exaggerate.

NRA life

"It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on."
Marilyn Monroe

bigsnowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #38
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnowdog View Post
It's good that you don't exaggerate.

Wanna Bet?

1/2 way to replacing the Thermostat! Just a few more hours of disassembly left to get to it
That stage of disassembly is called "Putting the Bumper in the Service Position"!
Old 11-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #39
09Prodigy OP
Instigator

Oddometer: 733
Holy Crap! Glad I asked! lol

Thanks again!
Old 11-15-2012, 05:15 AM   #40
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
Our Passat hit 80k miles today. Still waiting for it to blow up so I can rebuild it with a K04 big turbo kit.

Mike, what did they do for $1200? Clean the valves and replace the intake manifold assembly?
Bingo!

The car still has a rough idle when first started, but it runs fine as soon as you get going. We'll see how long this lasts, because the old GTi redeveloped the problem about 50K later.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:22 AM   #41
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09Prodigy View Post
Looking at buy a 2003 - 2006 Audi A4/6 or Passat

I have never owned a euro car and am ignorant as to the Maintenance and/or issues. I know there has to be some experience here and would like to hear your thoughts.

Don't.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #42
NJjeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamala View Post
Wanna Bet?

1/2 way to replacing the Thermostat! Just a few more hours of disassembly left to get to it
That stage of disassembly is called "Putting the Bumper in the Service Position"!

You have to be kidding?!?!?!

Where the hell is the thermostat?
NJjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:03 AM   #43
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 3,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJjeff View Post
You have to be kidding?!?!?!

Where the hell is the thermostat?
Even on the easier 2.0l, the thermostat is on the waterpump. Which is typically buried underneath a bunch of shit.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #44
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
The car still has a rough idle when first started, but it runs fine as soon as you get going. We'll see how long this lasts, because the old GTi redeveloped the problem about 50K later.
That sucks. VW has replacing intake manifolds like popcorn on the TSI motors......they should have given you some goodwill on the repair, even tho you were past the end of the powertrain warranty.
jdiaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #45
cardoctor1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
i love when a customer that has always owned jap. cars and never really had to spend money on maint. decides to treat themselves to a used german car. the warm and fuzzy feeling usually wear off the first time the car need repairs. $1,000 for brakes $ 1600 for timing belt /waterpump the warm and fuzzy becomes ass puckering and sobbing. .

different mind set jap stuff runs with nothing more than simple maint. euorpean cars no such thing as simple maint..
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: