ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #18526
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Todd, The simple answer is good tires and saddle time...just like on a race track, RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE and don't ride over your head. It takes time to feel comfortable with 550 pounds of GS moving around under you at 50 with no input on your part! I still think it's scary, but have gotten more used to it. If I go weeks without doing it, I am much slower for the first hour or two until I get my balls back. You'll be there soon...Wait until you encounter SAND!
Eddy,
Bring on the sand...I love sand. I grew up riding and jumping the dunes at Silver Lake in Michigan...

Nothing like coming over the top of Test Hill and Flying 100ft and wondering if you are ever going to land...I know just from my experience with the gravel roads it will be different, but I have ran some sand with the GS and it is not to different. Butt back, relaxed arms, and study speed, smooth is fast in the sand.
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #18527
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,698
Teach us how to do that Todd!

we need to find a beach!
Old 11-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #18528
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloochdog View Post
Teach us how to do that Todd!

we need to find a beach!
The OBX is not 2 hrs from here. (okay, a little more for you blooch). There are 10-15 miles of sandy beach north from Duck. Teresa and I have done most of it two-up on the GS, with Tourance tires. We need to set a Saturday ride for those who want to experiment. Trust me, the only difficult part is the 100m from the pavement to the packed wave line. After that it is a piece o'cake, and a LOT of fun. I would defer to Todd for training though. I can do sand, but it doesn't make me all giggly.....

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #18529
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
VaCommuter

Get well Mike. Sorry to hear you had a get off but glad to hear you had your ATGATT on. Like the others have said holler if you need anything. Be well brother.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #18530
Banshee
hi

Oddometer: 6,083
dang Mike, sorry about your get-off. heal up quick!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #18531
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
The OBX is not 2 hrs from here. (okay, a little more for you blooch). There are 10-15 miles of sandy beach north from Duck. Teresa and I have done most of it two-up on the GS, with Tourance tires. We need to set a Saturday ride for those who want to experiment. Trust me, the only difficult part is the 100m from the pavement to the packed wave line. After that it is a piece o'cake, and a LOT of fun. I would defer to Todd for training though. I can do sand, but it doesn't make me all giggly.....

jeff
Good point Jeff. Actually it is less for me . , I have lived in Norfolk all my and still work there.
I love Duck. Spent many days on the beaches down there with family. Kith and Kin spread from Corolla to Frisco. Those are some fun beaches.. BTW anybody interested in sound front land in Buxton? Thinking of letting some of it go.
?

bloochdog screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 07:53 AM
bloochdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:04 AM   #18532
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post

jeff
+2 for Corolla...ever since I bought my bike I have said that is a place I wanted to take it. The only thing that had me wondering was the approach either way on the GS. Loose momentum either direction and I think the big bike sinks. You also need to let more air then usual out & you can practically run slicks.

The nice thing about sand is, you let the bike take you and not many objects to fixate on. Your just not battling avoiding things so you have longer to correct. If you have the right posture and steady speed you can throw your bars back & forth like a shimmy without losing course.

That's is on my list, so anyone who wants to go, let's make plans.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:18 AM   #18533
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloochdog View Post
Good point Jeff.

I love Duck. Spent many days on the beaches down there with family. Kith and Kin spread from Corolla to Frisco. Those are some fun beaches.. BTW anybody interested in sound front land in Buxton? Thinking of letting some of it go.
?
Ummm crispy Duck....

OBXr here. Been going there almost every year since 76. Been staying in Frisco lately.
trade you Buxton waterfront for Elizabeth City waterfront.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:28 AM   #18534
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,205
Akida Japanese is this the place to get sushi in the Richmond area? I will be in the short pump area this week-end and thought I would try to find a good shushi joint.
goosecreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:34 AM   #18535
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecreek View Post
Akida Japanese is this the place to get sushi in the Richmond area? I will be in the short pump area this week-end and thought I would try to find a good shushi joint.
Hi Goose, I like Osaka in Short Pump... mall area, next to movie theatre.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:46 AM   #18536
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Quote:
Goose- as Brenda said Osaka is good. A friend of mine said Akida I the place. I have only been once and it was better than Osaka, but have not done it again to have a repeat performance. Akida is downtown by boulevard so little ways from Short pump, but worth the drive IMHO...
Old 11-15-2012, 07:14 AM   #18537
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,046
I have a stack of duplicate motorcycle magazines, mainly BMW ON and some Rider/Cycle World/Motorcycist/BMW RA variety, that I hate to throw away and I am too lazy/short on time to list on eBay.
*Congrats Todd, you are the speedy and lucky winner! See you at Jeff's tonight.

FREE! First come first served...PM/call/e-mail me if you want them.

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 07:43 AM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #18538
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,344
Wabi Sabi has excellent sushi in Petersburg.

I got a re-do on 56 one time. Count my blessings too
Old 11-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #18539
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,205
Hey Brenda, thanks guys I will be there for a couple of days so I will try both.
goosecreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #18540
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Quote:
Kona grill near the Whole Foods in Glen Allen is a chain resturant but is solid for Cocktails seafood, steaks and Sushi.

The have a revese happy hour that is pretty cool. Not big on chains so much but it is in the middle of the area you are staying..