Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #16
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by H14 View Post
Garrett, your mentioning the beat downs and get-offs brings back plenty of memories. That braking lesson was one of the best ones for me. I went into that class with a fear of the front brake. Feeling comfortable using plenty of front brake made me a better rider than before I went to the class. Glad you all felt it was worthwhile.
Shane Watts does a similar exercise in his class. Although he doesn't beat you if you get it wrong... he doesn't have to, the riding does that for him. I was so sore I could barely walk for several days after 2 days of riding with him.

Cornerspin sounds awesome. I'll have to make a trip out to one of their classes sometime.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #17
mtnflow
LFC, more pie please

Oddometer: 2,228
Bahahahaa, I was getting the beat downs for elbows. Elbows up! Almost every picture of me is with 'em down. The class definitely helped me riding in gravel. I knew y'all would love it.
mtnflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #18
littlelionmonster
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 767
I'm finally getting to the point where I can walk normally, turn my head more the 15 deg and don't audibly groan every time I stand up. It was pretty funny watching everyone drag themselves to their cars at the end of the day.

Really hard to say how good the class was because there was so much information thrown at you in a short time and its still sinking in. It was the hardest thing I've done in awhile, but one of the most rewarding experiences I have.

Just something about hauling ass into a corner, having the backend start to drift around on you and have complete confidence that your going to make the corning and then actually make the corner.

And the beatings weren't that bad... Garrett got the worse because he kept smarting off to the 7yr old drill Sargent.

Buy my Jetta TDI
Buy my jacket
littlelionmonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #19
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,095
You have great friends! I did CornerSpeed and then the CornerSpin class. What a hoot! Besides all of the great skills they teach you, I learned how much fitness, conditioning and, more importantly, fatigue play when riding around technical trails which require fast and good judgement, even on a little CRF100! My first, of many, falls was after lunch! I found myself making stupid errors that I would never do during the morning sessions while my body and brain were still fresh. This is why to this day I still skip the last 4:00 PM-ish track day session no matter how good I think I feel.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #20
macaroni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
Still day one

So far so good right?

All of us, to this point, felt pretty good about the progress and improvements we're making. We're taking turns faster with controled slides, learning to use both front and rear brakes, being patient and staying on the throttle...and then. Aaron tells us we're going to do the same thing at the same speed except this time one handed...

This is the look of fear:

Here we go in the circle first:

The point of the exercise is getting used to shifting your body weight to the opposite side of the turn. This more than any other helped me "get it". It was the light bulb that went off in my head. Of course my memory isn't what it used to be...
Old 11-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #21
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 11,116
Thanks for the info about turning on dirt. It is not intuitive, and tough to master.
Originally Posted by LadyDraco View Post
Dang ..That thing is huge!!! Jax
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #22
macaroni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
The end of day one

At the end of the day, we had a "free ride". Basically, we ride with the instructors and they make us look stupid. They make everything look so easy and fluid.

Here's my poor attempt to keep up:

http://youtu.be/wTkpobOqRxQ
Old 11-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #23
gastone OP
R.I.P. sweet Angus

Oddometer: 2,042
Dean, we got beat for a whole slew of reasons, including elbows and gas. In fact, I thought my name was 'Elbows Up' by the end of day one.

Saturday evening saw me beat up pretty bad. My left knee hurt like hell and I was starting to show a little road rash... on my elbows... knees... forearms... shins... and back. But that's it, it didn't show up anywhere else, not even on Sunday. Outside of the physical punishment that I took, mentally it was tough as well. I was forced to unlearn a bunch of bad habits I had developed on the street over the past 5 years. Trying to put everything together was tough. And I was afraid I wasn't getting it.

The entire group, including instructors went out to eat at Outback Saturday night. There were 15 of us total. Aaron has an arrangement where we get free appetizers. A nice perk, but from wait to check was close to 3 hours.

Sunday morning had us arriving to a very saturated track. The 'corkscrew' was disturbingly wet and I couldn't for the life of me make it around without duck walking. After 20 minutes or so of that punishment they saw fit to have us do the same lap one handed. As in with our left hand affixed to the gas cap. We had done a few one handed activities on Saturday as well. Surprisingly enough it was a bit easier than two handed. You were forced to use your core and lower body to manipulate the bike instead of defaulting to handlebar manipulation. I never would have thought that I'd be able to do it, and I still wouldn't say that I did it successfully.

Station 1 - The Circle. The idea was to turn the circle into a triangle. There were three cones forming a triangle circumscribed about the circle. The idea was to push hard for the first cone. As you get close, brake hard, turn your head to locate the next cone, leverage the bike over with your knees and then hammer it to the next cone. Rinse, repeat.

Here's Matt doing the circle:

I'll be back later with more. Gotta run out for a spell.
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #24
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,933
Ha! Love the Vid commentary.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #25
blaster11
Ecuador here we come

Oddometer: 6,525
Nice! Keep it coming, any footage of you tearing it up?
Old 11-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #26
gastone OP
R.I.P. sweet Angus

Bruce, none, nada. In fact, they aren't any pictures of me riding. So either:

A: I didn't fucking ride.

B: Matt never got off the bike to take pics/vid.

Hint, mostly it wasn't A. Matt definitely did more laps around than anyone else over the course of the weekend.
VAC
Old 11-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #27
gastone OP
R.I.P. sweet Angus

Station 2 - The Ribbon. The idea was to work on transitions. The course was a straightaway, sharp right, immediate 180 hairpin followed by some tight/technical curves leading back to the straightaway. We were told repeatedly to take fast turns fast and slow turns slow. This course is where it really came into effect. You hammered down the straightaway, braked hard getting the rear end loose, swung the bike to the right and got on the gas again. Brake hard once more, but this time you had to be cautious with the throttle or the hairpin would screw you over. Definitely my favorite station. No time to take pics/vid as we were immediately off to station 3.

Station 3 - The Kidney Bean. Depending upon which way you were going it was either an uphill or downhill 180 hairpin that was off camber. Downhill fucking killed me. I'd blow the turn cause I couldn't get my head around, go off the track and re-enter at the next turn. Coming uphill was much easier for me but we were only able to run it that way a few times before we had to move on.

Lunch break followed by more talking. Aaron is a great talked and full of stories. He works/worked for Speed TV and knows everyone in the racing industry. He would hit us with excellent impersonations of famous racers and great stories which related to our instruction.

After lunch we hit the oval track. It was wet down pretty good so we had to spend 20 minutes or so packing it in. Sixteen of us on that little track was scary, especially with the mixed experience that we had going. I know my lines sucked and I know the fast guys who were lapping me pretty regularly definitely had to keep an eye out lest I take them out. We ran it in our groups, first counterclockwise and then clockwise. I was definitely beat to shit by the end of it. I ended up rolling my back off the track as group three was coming on. I waited, hung over my bars, for someone to come over and kick the bike over for me. It didn't happen.

Back down to the main track for the remained of the day. Putting it all together. This was playtime. I ran for about 40 minutes or so, but at the end I was just plain tired. I hadn't suffered any serious injury and therefore it seemed like a good time to call it a day. Matt and Paul continued to ride which allowed me to get some more vids/photos.

The chicane:

Tim riding his son around the track:

More of Matt:
VAC

gastone screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 09:21 AM
Old 11-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #28
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 11,116
Blindfolded

Good times.
Originally Posted by LadyDraco View Post
Dang ..That thing is huge!!! Jax
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:02 AM   #29
blaster11
Ecuador here we come

Oddometer: 6,525
Well c'mon your not done yet! We need final thoughts, best part, best thing you learned, biggest misconception about riding before the class and now after, etc. We want more!!!!! Remember they still have my money so I will definitely be going this coming year. Oh and what kind of preps could one do prior to going to the class to ensure you get the most out of it?
Old 11-17-2012, 07:20 AM   #30
littlelionmonster
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 767
so final thoughts from my end
-work out more. I think I'm in decent shape and manage to hit the elliptical machine a couple times a week and do some core exercises, but I should have done more. Its amazing how much you engage your core muscles when flipping the little bike around during the class. My legs, shoulders and hands are still sore after a week.

- riding the track is different then riding the street. on the track you can practice different lines and setups and push everything. there's no guard rails or drops offs to worry about. There are a lot of skills that will transfer to the street / trail riding, but there's no way I'm riding on the street like I road in the class.

- who ever design motorcross clothes is on acid. Thats the only way the patterns and colors make sense.

- always go to the bathroom before Gastone.

Buy my Jetta TDI
Buy my jacket
littlelionmonster is online now   Reply With Quote