Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
ngads OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Traveling and Photography

Hey guys,

new to posting, but i've been lurking on this site for awhile. Just starting out with my career and financially close to a new bike, I am looking into biking trips and won't go without bringing my proper camera to document the journey. (Nikon dslr).

Who here takes there dslr's with them, and how do you secure/store them so that incase of a fall or weather they won't break. (obviously im talking about a minor crash).

Thanks !
ngads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,026
Welcome!

I have a Contour roam for video, and I carry my Sony NEX 5N for quality shots.

I have a small case for it and it's in my tank bag in good weather and the top-box if it rains.

The trick is to keep it easily accessible. If it's not right there you'll miss the good shots. I often don't bother taking pictures if the camera is in the top box and I know I have to stop, park, get off, take off my gloves, open the top box and case...etc etc.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
fierostetz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
i take an olympus PEN with me (with a panasonic 14mm f2.5 lens) in addition to my SLR - the SLR is in a well padded backpack stashed within a hard topbox. The PEN gets a lot more use simply because it's more of a "quickdraw" camera, and the 14mm lens is great.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
ngads OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Cool2

thanks for the responses guys

I have a gopro hero 2 for video and quick pictures, just wondering if anyone actually brought there slr's riding with them
ngads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
cyron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngads View Post
thanks for the responses guys

I have a gopro hero 2 for video and quick pictures, just wondering if anyone actually brought there slr's riding with them
I kept mine in my tank bag with a bunch of padding around it. I was more nervous about vibration and Slr's the mirror than falls.
+1 on it needs to be accessible. I wish I took more pictures & video on my Nova Scotia trip.
You may want to look into a descent point and shoot for when you're on the bike.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
cialowicz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I stick my DSLR in the tank bag, which converts into a backpack for walks away from the motorcycle. I keep a dry bag in there, in case it really starts pouring. Works pretty well, but you have to be very selective with your lenses.

Destination: Montenegro by Mike Cialowicz, on Flickr

Go Exploring by Mike Cialowicz, on Flickr
cialowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
EggChaser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
I have a padded Lowepro waist bag that just takes my DSLR and one spare lens, that happens to fit in the tank bag. Have used that on at least one trip where all my luggage is used for other stuff.

When not using all my luggage usually use a Lowepro padded rucksack in my top box.

Although I don't really like doing it have once or twice just worn the rucksack to carry the DSLR (which I have also done while snowboarding/skiing)

I haven't come off the bike while carrying the DSLR on the bike in any of those locations to know how well it would survive, I have crashed while snowboarding (at maybe 15-20mph) with the rucksack on and slid along on the rucksack with no damage to the camera or lenses.

I have also seen metal edged, re-inforced equipment cases (that contain internal padding) strapped to bikes instead of top boxes.
EggChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
what car??
down the road

Oddometer: 357
I know this may seem like overkill, I have three cameras traveling with me in Central America currently. I have a Contour mounted to the helmet, a Nikon Coolpix P6000 that fits in my front jacket pocket, and a Canon DSLR with an extra 75-300mm lens (I bought this one in Guatemala, avid Nikon user but couldn't find what I wanted). The Nikon is great for shots that are fairly close and I don't really want to dismount or just want a few shots etc.... But if I find something interesting or far away I do pull out the Canon and use it. Sometimes with the tripod, depending on what I'm shooting. The Canon bag is padded and I have it sitting in the middle of the pannier pretty protected. I do not ride with a tank bag.
what car?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:22 AM   #9
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by what car?? View Post
I know this may seem like overkill, I have three cameras traveling with me in Central America currently. I have a Contour mounted to the helmet, a Nikon Coolpix P6000 that fits in my front jacket pocket, and a Canon DSLR with an extra 75-300mm lens (I bought this one in Guatemala, avid Nikon user but couldn't find what I wanted). The Nikon is great for shots that are fairly close and I don't really want to dismount or just want a few shots etc.... But if I find something interesting or far away I do pull out the Canon and use it. Sometimes with the tripod, depending on what I'm shooting. The Canon bag is padded and I have it sitting in the middle of the pannier pretty protected. I do not ride with a tank bag.
Sounds like the perfect set-up to me. My NEX has mostly replaced my DSLR and Point-n-shoot, but having a small camera in your pocket that you can yank ouy and use with gloves is great. Even better if you don't care about the odd scratch. It's also better for wandering around with off the bike in less savory neighborhoods.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:29 AM   #10
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,862
I like P&S cams for motorcycles...

In the past five years I've illustrated my two books, taken photos for over 100 magazine articles and more than 30 magazine covers using high-end P&S cameras in the 10-16 MP range.

As a professional photographer for more than 30 years, I also have DSLR Canons and an nice array of Canon L glass to go with them, but I see no point in risking vibrating them to death and dealing with the extra weight and bulk unless I'm doing long telephoto shots, which I seldom do when on my bikes.

It's not the camera, it's the vision and skill of the person holding the camera, IMO. The high-end P&Ss are very workable tools provided you know their capabilities and limitations. And more often than not are faster to work with when shooting from a bike (can be used in left hand easier due to smaller size).

For the bikes I'm likely to pick up Canon's new EOS-M mirrorless APS-sized sensor camera next year that offers the ability to use my EF lenses when needed and comes with a very compact 22mm (35mm equiv.) pancake lens.

These cameras to me might just be the best of both worlds! Not damaged by the vibrations inherent in motorcycle riding, compact, yet able to produce large, low-noise files with the cropped frame sensor that's perfect for telephoto work.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #11
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,926
When I take my DSLR (or any of my cameras, really) on the bike, it's in my pack. I don't want it taking the abuse/shock of a dirt bike.

On the snowmobile, I've got a hard case on the tunnel I keep my Sony in.
Re-rigged the setup on my new sled, got a bit more vibration reduction to the case, but i'm still probably going to carry the Nikon in my pack and leave the Sony in the case.

Biggest thing is a camera that's easy to get to. If it takes 5mins to stop, pull the pack off, dig the camera out, turn it on, dial in the settings, and get the shot... you're gonna miss a lot of shots.

I roll with a Contour on my helmet for the "Oh-Shit!" shots, and the Sony in the case is pretty quick to get at.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:39 AM   #12
kojack
My bikes Suck!

Oddometer: 895
I have a sony P&S for travel. it takes great photos, for the more special times I have a sony alpha 350. I love the fact that you can bolt on the old minolta glass to the body.

I do have a soft spot for olympus DSLR. the photos that come from the e system are like no other.
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote