Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #16
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,620
I don't like new cars and have no desire to own one, unless it was just a basic transportation appliance, and then it would be a small pickup, like a Chevy Colorado, base model with A/C. I am currently using a $4000 2001 Chevy Malibu for transportation, and it is so boring I can't even consider it a car. I do like cars, especially vintage sports and muscle cars. I think the most fun I've ever had in any car was my old 1971 Porsche 911. It was not pretty, but I had the mechanicals sorted out, and some suspension mods. This car was very basic and very rough. It didn't have anything it didn't need, not even a heater. It's ride was bone jarring, but the engine had a sweet raspy sound. This was a car that took skill to drive right. Get sloppy with it and it would bite you hard. I never crashed it, but had some hairy rides (also known as fun) Todays ares are so refined and computer controlled they are no longer fun, even the high dollar exotics. The manufacturers have done their very best to isolate you from the driving experience, and their goal seems to be complete isolation. All control inputs are controlled by computers, to protect you if you get in over your head. Most of the danger (and the fun) has been engineered out of them. I would love to have that old Porsche back, but now they are expensive classics, most have been totally restored, and are collecting dust in some wealthy persons garage. The only time they get out is to go to car shows. What a shame.

Many of the old bikes were similar. Many had power, and they could also be made to handle very well, by someone who knew what they were doing. I remember the 1983 Kawasaki Eddie Lawson Replica. Now that was a sportbike. Watch some early '80s superbike racing, and it will blow your mind what those guys did with those "old tech" bikes.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #17
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,235
Janis owned and drove a Porsche. A 356. She rode, too. Only on the back. Of Harley's.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote