ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #107
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
He is talking about using explosives to remove a beaver dam that abuts a public road, so in a way, yes. If he doesn't block the road, what guarantee is there that there won't be a carload of kids driving by just when it goes boom? There will need to be a NOTAM, too, to make sure no one overflies the area during the event. And depending on the amount of water that's been impounded, he might need to get the Corps of Engineers involved to see if there are any downstream flooding issues to worry about.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #108
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Laugh Off Topic

Continuing off topic but along the lines of the video is this story from my school days

Back when I was in college in the early 70’s, I had a friend (the statute of limitations is long past but lets just call him ‘Pete’) who like myself was an engineering student. His dad was an engineer and builder and they had decided that rather than pay for room and board in the dormitory, it would be cost effective to build a house that ‘Pete’ could live in while in school and then they would sell it. The land they bought was a little rocky, being on the lower slope of Pat’s Peak in Henniker, so as was common then, they got some dynamite to make the excavation go a little easier. The house was built and all was well for a while.
There were some ‘characters’ around town back in those days, among them one known as ‘Winnebago’, I never knew if he was actually a student there but he got the name because virtually everything he owned traveled with him in and on a huge backpack. As it got on into fall, Winnebago apparently decided that he needed a more substantial ‘home’ than his back pack so he set out to build himself a cabin in the woods. As it turned out, the woods he chose was on the back side of ‘Pete’s’ land. It didn’t take long for it to be noticed and ‘Pete’ went and had a talk with Winnebago, he thought that it went OK but when he checked back later, construction was still in progress. This went on over a period of time, ‘Pete’ even offered to help dismantle the cabin and said that he would provide a truck to move it to whatever new location Winnebago found but he made it clear that the cabin was not going to stay on his land. Ignoring the ‘friendly advice’ to find a new location, Winnebago had moved into his home to the point that he no longer carried all his belongings with him.
‘Pete’ having run short of patience and knowing that he had just seen Winnebago in town, decided that it was time for the cabin to ’go’. He gathered up the remaining dynamite from the excavation work and set it all in and around the cabin. It really made quite a boom, poor old Lester got shaken right off his chair in the fire lookout tower on top of the ‘mountain’ (big hill really), we were a popular school for returning veterans and more than one apparently ‘took cover’ in the library (not the first time but that’s another story for another occasion). There was nothing above ground level at the cabin site except a large number of toothpicks and an occasional pot or pan.
‘Pete’ didn’t think a lot more about it, problem solved to his way of thinking and he calmly gave us the detailed rundown of the event in class the next day as explanation for the ‘boom’ that everyone had experienced. A few days passed and the story spread around town, if Winnebago had had any doubts as to what had occurred he was now sure so he decided that he would enlist the aid of the law to get his cabin replaced. ‘Pete’ was at the house a couple of days later when the police cruiser (I think that we only had one) drove in with Chief Hassler and Winnebago inside. The Chief proceeded to tell ‘Pete’ that it had been reported that ‘Pete’ had blown up Winnebago’s cabin with 51 sticks of dynamite.
‘Pete’ listened quietly and then proceeded to explain that a) the cabin had been built, without his permission but upon his land, b) that he had offered to help dismantle and move the cabin to a suitable location and that c) he had used 52 sticks of dynamite not 51. Chief Hassler looked at him and back into the car at Winnebago then said something to the effect of ‘come on, lets see if we can find what’s left of your stuff and get it off of his property’.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #109
thumperbuddy
Outdoorsman?

Oddometer: 40
If i may make a suggestion, Id:
1. clear a shooting lane so you have a clear path for a bullet to travel.
2. set a paint can or four of tannerite toward the bottom of the upstream side of the dam, set into it a bit if possible.
3. a bit of gasoline to help ignite the cans of smokeless that you set around the tannerite, because when tannerite blows, its reletivaly flameless, and the gas may help create a fireball to ignite the smokeless powder.
4. back up 200 yards, ignite via .308.
5. quickly reload and take out any survivng beavers in the vicinity, secure the area, call in the helo, and go home.
thumperbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #110
Fe Man OP
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,472
I have something interesting...
I lit one last weekend and pitched it off the cabin onto a seriously hard parked dirt road (think log truck traffic) and it blew a hole in the ground

The problem I have discovered is that the culvert has totally collapsed so blowing up the beaver damn is pointless. I'm thinking I will just bore a hole into culvert, fill it with explosive, blow the whole frickin' road up then regrade it and replace the culvert...

I did find the beaver lodge so the first explosion is going to in their POS mud hut!

Fe Man screwed with this post 11-30-2012 at 12:28 PM
Fe Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #111
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,449
Believe we can arrange a long weekend event out of your...plan. And so the ADV Exploding Beaver Rally was born
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #112
Fe Man OP
I am Iron Moran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post
believe we can arrange a long weekend event out of your...plan. And so the adv exploding beaver rally was born
+1

The beavers have occupied an undercut bank on the edge of my lake. I'm going to open a small hole in the roof of their lodge and drop one of these little beauties into their midst! Anything that swims out is going to be fired upon with a few evil black rifles, one very evil OD green one and an 870 with 00 buck.

Fe Man screwed with this post 11-30-2012 at 12:41 PM
Fe Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #113
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Man View Post
+1

The beavers have occupied an undercut bank on the edge of my lake. I'm going to open a small hole in the roof of their lodge and drop one of these little beauties into their midst! Anything that swims out is going to be fired upon with a few evil black rifles, one very evil OD green one and an 870 with 00 buck.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #114
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,388
So when you take out the beavers, do you expect the coyotes to keep your cattails (and other nuisance plants) down?
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #115
iyaoyas98
Bored Silly

Oddometer: 5,685
Quote:
+1

I am in.

Please send directions ASAP.
iyaoyas98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #116
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,029
find a trapper to take those beavers out!
they will usually do it for the beaver pelt
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #117
Fe Man OP
I am Iron Moran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
So when you take out the beavers, do you expect the coyotes to keep your cattails (and other nuisance plants) down?
We don't have nuisance plants; and what does it matter if we can't get to the cabin because the road is underwater or washed away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
find a trapper to take those beavers out!
they will usually do it for the beaver pelt
We had a guy come up and trap a few but he hasn't been back and the beavers have been busy!
Old 11-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #118
Fe Man OP
I am Iron Moran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyaoyas98 View Post
I am in.

Please send directions ASAP.
Interstate 75 south of Chattanooga to the Red Bud Rd exit in Calhoun, classified from there.
We will have our people meet you!
Old 12-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #119
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,163
Quote:
I have something interesting...
I lit one last weekend and pitched it off the cabin onto a seriously hard parked dirt road (think log truck traffic) and it blew a hole in the ground

The problem I have discovered is that the culvert has totally collapsed so blowing up the beaver damn is pointless. I'm thinking I will just bore a hole into culvert, fill it with explosive, blow the whole frickin' road up then regrade it and replace the culvert...

I did find the beaver lodge so the first explosion is going to in their POS mud hut!
If no one has mentioned it, I would explore whether removing the beavers is legal; there are a number of people who have done what you are planning and got in big time trouble with the feds because it was considered protected wetlands.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #120
Fe Man OP
I am Iron Moran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
If no one has mentioned it, I would explore whether removing the beavers is legal; there are a number of people who have done what you are planning and got in big time trouble with the feds because it was considered protected wetlands.
Not a wetland; used to be my driveway and parking area until the engineer rats showed up...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: