User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
Steve G. OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,582
Salute to the 'Greatest Generation'

On the 65th anniversary, as a proud Canadian, I'm nodding my head in salute to those men that went onto Juno Beach in Normandy. I'm truly humbled by what courage it took for ALL the men to run into a rain of bullets, whether American, British, Canadian, and any others. I honestly can't say if I would have 'the bollocks' to do what all these guys did.
I'm willing to overlook for now the fact that the French Govt. did not want representatives of the UK, Canada, or the British Royal Family to have anything to do with memorial proceedings marking D Day. The men involved in D-Day I'm sure would have swept pettyness like this aside, and forged ahead to kick ass!
The Greatest Generation!!!!
Steve

One of my must do's in my life, to visit the many memorials dotted around Normandy, of ALL the allies.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:31 PM   #2
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Cheers
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:14 AM   #3
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
I'd love to eventaully get to see Dieppe, Juno Beach, Beaumont Hamel & Vimy Ridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G.

One of my must do's in my life, to visit the many memorials dotted around Normandy, of ALL the allies.

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #4
bald1Rides
!BeenThere !DoneThat

Oddometer: 381
My dad was there, though he was in the artillery so he didn't have to storm the hellish beach. When I asked him why he joined up (volunteer from Nfld) he replied "The Adventure, that's what most of us signed up for."

Still think the old bastard has balls as big as church bells. Gotta give props to the beach stormers. Brave men who ran into a literal hail of bullets and shrapnel.
bald1Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,984
well worth a thread

salute indeed
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
MANXMAN
Overlander

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
Seems fitting to post this picture today. It was impossible to walk through this memorial and keep it together. I hope their sacrifice is never forgotten.

Canadian Cemetery at Beny-sur-Mer, Normandy
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Amen............thanks to all that served and still serve............we owe our freedom to you!!!

Cheers
Old 11-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
toddiscdn
Take off, EH!

Oddometer: 984
Good bump Manxman, it is the day to remember, I was there in Sept. and had the same experience as you, moving place. Thanks to all who served.

Juno

Canadian Cemetery, Beny-sur-Mer

toddiscdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #9
blue01
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Wolf View Post
I'd love to eventaully get to see Dieppe, Juno Beach, Beaumont Hamel & Vimy Ridge
Great post to bump up.
I started a "Vimy" account a couple of years ago with plans to attend their 100th anniversary in 2017. Will definitely take in a number of other memorials too, especially Juno Beach.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:34 AM   #10
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,516
bald1rides, my Dad was also overseas in '43-'45 in the artillery. Don't know much about his service, as he VERY rarely could ever be convinced to talk about it. He normally only talked about the beauty of many of the places (aside from the destruction all around).

He's passed away now, but just yesterday I was going through some of his things, including army paybooks, a rare few photos and some business cards from places in France and England. Really brings it home.

I'd really like to know more, but respected that he never wanted to talk about it. Now I wouldn't know where to begin.

On a separate note, one of my co-worker's son's had the opportunity to visit Vimy on a school trip. He's only 16 or so, but said it was very moving. The day they walked the route the troops took it was freezing and raining, which made it even more real. Said he couldn't even image the trek under a hail of gunfire, as the hike was substantial even in modern times.
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:16 AM   #11
Natnewt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Wolf View Post

I was there in my youth as my father was posted in Baden Baden during the 80's its quite humbling being there and surprisingly really quite. It's like the birds even respect the dead.
2006 XR650L heavily farklefied Tendering in the garage.
2012 F800GS Triple Black Let the mods begin.
Natnewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #12
blue01
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTT View Post
bald1rides, my Dad was also overseas in '43-'45 in the artillery. Don't know much about his service, as he VERY rarely could ever be convinced to talk about it. He normally only talked about the beauty of many of the places (aside from the destruction all around).

He's passed away now, but just yesterday I was going through some of his things, including army paybooks, a rare few photos and some business cards from places in France and England. Really brings it home.

I'd really like to know more, but respected that he never wanted to talk about it. Now I wouldn't know where to begin.

On a separate note, one of my co-worker's son's had the opportunity to visit Vimy on a school trip. He's only 16 or so, but said it was very moving. The day they walked the route the troops took it was freezing and raining, which made it even more real. Said he couldn't even image the trek under a hail of gunfire, as the hike was substantial even in modern times.
You can apply for copies of his war records, things like pay stubs, etc. through Archives Canada. At least I believe that's where I got my fathers. There is a small fee, but that's really quite minor.
My son went to Europe when he was in grade 10, and toured Vimy Ridge, about the same time of year, April. He still talks about it, so I bought him the book, Vimy, by Pierre Berton. A fascinating story, which I have read more than my son.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:43 AM   #13
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,006
My Dad, on the right..