Old 11-12-2012, 06:46 AM   #46
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
You will need the Hippo hands and good winter gloves
This.

Hippo hands keep the wind off your hands, that lets your gloves and heated grips deal with the ambient temp in a reasonably calm environment.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #47
spoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Wind control, Wind control, Wind control. I need hippo-hands (home made) and heated gloves (W&S). If I could build a fire in the bark buster I'd do that too.
spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #48
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4lnutz View Post
I am looking for info on Gloves that will keep my hands warm in negative 30

I rode the other day with two pairs of gloves on at 70 mph and the weather just standing was 39 so the air on the bike was around -25 and my hands were numb I ride year around and at night this year so i was curious

what Gloves are out there that have stood the test of the weather.

electric gloves have terrible reviews so those are out!
I've ridden at 6 with Gerbing gloves and toasty hands. Not sure where you get your reviews from.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #49
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpierce View Post
I commute about 45 minutes each way, year round in Maine as long as as there's not snow and ice on the roads. I have heated grips and just got a heated vest -- both of which make a huge difference.

Adjusting your speed is another weapon in your arsenal against cold. In spring/summer/fall, I tend to ride 70 - 75mph, but when the ambient temps get into the low 20s, that speed (and subsequent wind) get me pretty chilled in about 20 minutes. If I adjust my speed down to about 60mph, I feel like I could ride for hours.

Reducing wind chill by riding slower isn't necessarily the definitive solution, but it's one of the variables over which your have control -- so it's good to experiment with it a little so you can use it to your advantage. One of the scenarios I have in the back of my mind is that if my heated grips or heated vest were to fail, I bet I could get to my destination by dropping my speed to 45mph.

+1 on this - wind chill can make an extreme difference, even in summer. Also remember that when it's cold your tires will be harder and less grippy, switches, levers, chains, etc. don't work as well, etc. and can cause an accident if you aren't careful.

Doug
Old 11-16-2012, 07:17 AM   #50
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon View Post
Wind control, Wind control, Wind control. I need hippo-hands (home made) and heated gloves (W&S). If I could build a fire in the bark buster I'd do that too.
What he said.

I rode in this morning, 30F. Regular GS hand guards, heated grips on low and Held warm and dry mid-weight gloves. Hands were warm as toast at 60mph.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #51
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 6,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
Not sure what you're riding but a cheap alternative to the Hippo Hands can be had at Rocky Mountain ATV for $7.99 right now. They fit my DR650 nicely but a bit too small for the Tiger.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...nd-Mitts-Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
This.

Hippo hands keep the wind off your hands, that lets your gloves and heated grips deal with the ambient temp in a reasonably calm environment.
Liked the look of those so I bought a set. Tried em today with my Summer gloves and the heaters and my hands got HOT. Admittedly it wasnt very cool out but I wanted to try em. Im happy with the fit and the look.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:36 AM   #52
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,211
Good formula - heated liners & neoprene

I've tried lots of combinations: Warm-n-Safe heated gloves, Hippo-Hands, Powerlet heated liners... I think I found a good combination for very cold riding and I know others have posted on this before: neoprene gloves and heated liners. I bought some neoprene "fishin' gloves" from my local sporting goods store - 1 size larger than I need. I wore my Powerlet heated liners under that. I was warm and dry at 30F this morning with the heat down very low. I think I could go much, much colder with this combination. I'll let you know when it gets colder here.

The gloves were relatively cheap ($22), but they had even cheaper ($15) ones that looked the same, but were not advertised as waterproof. My guess is that these cheap ones would let air squeak in through the seams - so don't try those. I've heard others use kayaking gloves - which I expect are very similar, but probably more expensive.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #53
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 6,023
I want protection if something goes wrong. Those neoprene gloves are NOT protective.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #54
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,753
Olympia

Olympia Gore-Tex winter gloves. Gauntlet style. I will wear liners with those if it gets into the low 20s. I don't ride a M/C in the snow because out here, the crap they put on the roads will eat through your bike.

I am trying a chinese scooter for winter riding this year.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #55
16VGTIDave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
I just bought a pair of silk gloves to wear under my snowmobile gloves. Hopefully they should do me for the remainder of my riding season. I'm getting tired of washing the de-icing fluid (urea) off my bike that the roads departments are spraying on every bridge and sharp corner around here...

Dave
16VGTIDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:23 AM   #56
Kannonball8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
How much good do glove liners (the thin silk ones) do? Some people swear by them, but I tried a set once and couldn't tell any difference. Do they really help when used with proper gloves. Rider Wearhouse sells a couple of different types, is one better than another?
Thanks,
Bruce
Ural Patrol-T
Triumph Tiger 800 & Ural-T (wife's)
Kannonball8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #57
Sp4Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
The temps never bugged me that much. When my hands get cold I just hug the motor! I commute 21 miles each way down to about 20F so far this year.

My question is how do you guys deal with the ice? I look at the road in front of my house and it's dry, but in some of the valleys that I ride though the condensation makes the road a sheet of ice.
Sp4Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:26 AM   #58
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp4Mike View Post
My question is how do you guys deal with the ice?.
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #59
FJracer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Welding Gloves

I use Leather Welding Gloves size 2XL over my insulated riding gloves on a 35-40 commute to work. Kinda risky cause there's not much Brake Control.
FJracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #60
16VGTIDave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
I can't give much info yet about glove liners. I've only worn my silk liners for about 100 km in 5 - 10 C weather. I can say that my hands felt dryer than normal - and my hands tend to sweat easily. The only other thing I noticed was that I didn't really notice the liners. No bulk. No reduction in the feel of the controls. Maybe a slightly slippery feel inside my snowmobile gloves, but nothing disconcerting.

HTH,
Dave

Sent from my iPad2
16VGTIDave is offline   Reply With Quote