User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #346
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 13,870
Went blackpowder for the first time this year, had to sit out the last few season (I went scouting, but couldn't fire the 7mm because of the shoulder replacements) and lucked out (as in got caught with my shorts down, I didn't expect to actually draw and had to hurry up and get a muzzleloader so this was a real treat!). I usually get cow tags, this has only been the second bull I've taken, so doubly exciting! Season was early and short, September 8-16th, it was hot hot hot and the until I hunt in is mostly elk wintering grounds, but I know it very well and even with far less animals than usual, I was into them every day which was a blast. Mid week I finally got my opportunity, it wasn't "Sherman Tank" the massive bull I'd tracked opening day, but this young 5x5 looked mighty fine, I'd already blown one chance with him the day before. this time everything was just perfect-he started out about 120 yards out, I got a little closer and was patient and ended up with a solid lung shot at about 80 yards. He just looked up at the sound of the shot, took a few steps, started to nibble grass again, then dropped like a rock. Never realized he'd been hit. Best, most tender elk I've ever had, even the tip and arm steaks are like filets, absolutely fantastic. Probably due to a combination of factors, a young bull (about a 3 year old), early in the season and before the rut got going (the cows weren't even talking yet), very good in feed (about 300 pounds of processes, de-boned meat), no stress/adrenaline and an excellent processor-they did a great job.
I really like the early season and hunting with open sights is a blast

And the pups are loving the treats, nothing goes to waste!

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #347
Dysco
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,664
Nice one, Nat! Congrats on being able to shoot again!

I turned in my elk tag this year since my hunting partner was 7 months pregnant... and I'll never be able to haul my own elk out unless there's a good bit of snow. I still have my either-sex Plains whitetail tag coming up in December, though. Should be a hoot.
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #348
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 13,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysco View Post
Nice one, Nat! Congrats on being able to shoot again!

I turned in my elk tag this year since my hunting partner was 7 months pregnant... and I'll never be able to haul my own elk out unless there's a good bit of snow. I still have my either-sex Plains whitetail tag coming up in December, though. Should be a hoot.
Thanks Mike, I was pretty stoked to say the least
I've really come to enjoy hunting by myself and I'm really grateful to have access to & through private land that affords me to do so and neighbors eager to pack the elk out for me on their horses if I get something down. But this bull was nice enough to make it easy for me that morning after I'd tracked him through hell and high water the previous days, it's almost as if he back-tracked me and just about wandered into camp, so all I had to do was drag him down a hill a ways and I was able to get to him from there through a pasture. Easiest ever, didn't have to quarter him at all
I didn't draw a deer this year, the right shoulder is bad enough as it is, no need to push my luck and I suck shooting left with a long gun, far to risky.

Didn't realize you were preggers-congrats to you and Kate and good luck with your Whitetail!

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #349
Toadady
Push'n parts

Oddometer: 3,504
first day of modern firearms deer season opened this morning.

Toad and I went out this morning and the only thing i saw was this "calf killer" he was just coming out of a field that had cattle in it.

went out this evening and jumped a nice buck, i tryed to out flank it and sat down to wait it out, but in about 10 minuts i heard the neighbor's gun go off, so at least i know they got a nice buck.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #350
Mr Weebles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post
Beautiful buck. Congrats!

And this is really weird but you're the spitting image of my hunting buddy Bob. It's uncanny.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #351
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadady View Post
first day of modern firearms deer season opened this morning.

Toad and I went out this morning and the only thing i saw was this "calf killer" he was just coming out of a field that had cattle in it.

Good lookin coat
Old 11-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #352
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Ruffies

A good first day out with a new to me 16 gauge.
Littlepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #353
iamcanjim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Went blackpowder for the first time this year, had to sit out the last few season (I went scouting, but couldn't fire the 7mm because of the shoulder replacements) and lucked out (as in got caught with my shorts down, I didn't expect to actually draw and had to hurry up and get a muzzleloader so this was a real treat!). I usually get cow tags, this has only been the second bull I've taken, so doubly exciting! Season was early and short, September 8-16th, it was hot hot hot and the until I hunt in is mostly elk wintering grounds, but I know it very well and even with far less animals than usual, I was into them every day which was a blast. Mid week I finally got my opportunity, it wasn't "Sherman Tank" the massive bull I'd tracked opening day, but this young 5x5 looked mighty fine, I'd already blown one chance with him the day before. this time everything was just perfect-he started out about 120 yards out, I got a little closer and was patient and ended up with a solid lung shot at about 80 yards. He just looked up at the sound of the shot, took a few steps, started to nibble grass again, then dropped like a rock. Never realized he'd been hit. Best, most tender elk I've ever had, even the tip and arm steaks are like filets, absolutely fantastic. Probably due to a combination of factors, a young bull (about a 3 year old), early in the season and before the rut got going (the cows weren't even talking yet), very good in feed (about 300 pounds of processes, de-boned meat), no stress/adrenaline and an excellent processor-they did a great job.

Be careful not to feed the pups uncooked organs.
iamcanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #354
DWalt
I shot my TV

Oddometer: 3,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post

Hey Natalie!!!!

Great to see you around!!!

Nice one with the smoke pole!!!

I"ve been playing with iron sights lately too. It's become way too easy to blast a doe with 12x duplex. the iron sights are fun.

I'm headed back to Venice to blast some more ducks tonight, I'll post pics later!!
DWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #355
NDEBT OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Weebles View Post
Beautiful buck. Congrats!

And this is really weird but you're the spitting image of my hunting buddy Bob. It's uncanny.
That is not me. My Sister did a story on this place I think it is about as cool as it gets. http://www.oklahomatoday.com/MAGAZIN...39;s_Walk.html
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:49 AM   #356
tcs06
The Clueless Wonder

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
That is not me. My Sister did a story on this place I think it is about as cool as it gets. http://www.oklahomatoday.com/MAGAZIN...39;s_Walk.html

The story needs to have a Facebook "Like" button .
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.
tcs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #357
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,294
Got this one yesterday afternoon in the woods that are behind my house.
Decent 6PT for around here, took him with a black powder rifle at about 12 ft down and 10 feet out from my stand.

[IMG][/IMG]
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #358
h2o_snow
Water, snow & dirt too.

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Wow - great story and lodge - thanks for sharing.
Over the hills where the spirits fly,
I really don't know.
h2o_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #359
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,402
Southern Wisconsin
8 points
.270 Win

siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #360
tcs06
The Clueless Wonder

Oddometer: 239

Sunday morning. Dewey Marsh, WI. Marlin 1894, 45 Colt.

Another pic to show off his size better!

Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.

tcs06 screwed with this post 11-18-2012 at 06:48 PM Reason: Moar Pics!
tcs06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: