Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #76
Stinky151
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Okay. I am going to have to learn the TSD navigation and how it works. Good thing I have some time. I am trying to scrounge the money for a road book holder next. Anyone have any good reads on how the navigation for this ever will work? I have no intention winning anything, but I want know how to do it right before I show up.

"If you're in control, you're not going fast enough." -- Parnelli Jones
Stinky151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #77
Pantah OP
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky151 View Post
Okay. I am going to have to learn the TSD navigation and how it works. Good thing I have some time. I am trying to scrounge the money for a road book holder next. Anyone have any good reads on how the navigation for this ever will work? I have no intention winning anything, but I want know how to do it right before I show up.
You don't really need a roadbook holder. The motorized units are nice, but not worth the expense for one ride IMO. I bought my 950 with this specific event the objective, so they threw in my motorized holder. It went to the new owner of my 950. I hope he finds a use for it. In 2014 I'll use a manual Acerbis holder,,,, or make up a large map case tankbag envelope big enough to hold a TSD section. I think I need about 12 inches. Maybe more, but not much. The TSD roadbook instructions are generally short on length. The whole day navigation is long, but most of it isn't timed.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #78
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I found the US guards are somewhat surley. If I took my helmet off before they asked they were a lot more friendly, particularly at the AK crossing. Also the crossing above Seattle was very slow in both directions. Maybe an hour wait coming back into the US.

I carried a passport, proof of insurance and license. Nobody asked for anything but my DL.
You have an honest face, Bob.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #79
Stinky151
Gnarly Adventurer

Bob, I just finished reading your story from 2006. Holy crap, this is going to be such a good time. With your experience, can I pick your brain about my bike setup? My KLR is pretty well built, but just wanna know if I need to do any more work. I need to work on my techniques for cornering at speed on dirt. I just hope I stand a chance at finishing the race and not be last. I feel like a little kid, I can't wait.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #80
Pantah OP
Patriot Nation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky151 View Post
Bob, I just finished reading your story from 2006. Holy crap, this is going to be such a good time. With your experience, can I pick your brain about my bike setup? My KLR is pretty well built, but just wanna know if I need to do any more work. I need to work on my techniques for cornering at speed on dirt. I just hope I stand a chance at finishing the race and not be last. I feel like a little kid, I can't wait.
Thanks. Yeah 2006 was special because I got to ride with my old boss, Ned. I liked writing that article. I signed up for 2014 because of the route. It is similar to 2006 except we go up the Haul road instead of the Dempster.

I'd be glad to help you any way I can. You have a most excellent machine for it. It's comfy enough and good in the mud if you use the right tires. Regarding outright speed, you'll pick it up. I was pretty timid the first couple days but by the end of the South Canol, I could keep up with anybody. The TKC 80 was a good front tire for that bike and the conditions we had.

You can use my email address. I think it's in my profile somewhere.

-Bob
Old 11-13-2012, 06:56 AM   #81
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,071
Always late to the party.......
Pantah

Holycrapoly this looks like TOO MUCH FUN!!!

Lemme get out the crystal ball..... Hmmmmmmm.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #82
Pantah OP
Patriot Nation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
Always late to the party.......
Pantah

Holycrapoly this looks like TOO MUCH FUN!!!

Lemme get out the crystal ball..... Hmmmmmmm.
Hi Jax

You and maybe a buddy should really look into this event. But even if no buddy, we all buddy up soon enough. It's the last one. It has the best route.

It is truly a great way to see the Great White North in a supported ride at a very attractive price. You couldn't even do it very well by yourself because some of the best stages require fuel truck support. Add in the luxury of riding light every day because they haul our gear...2014 will be the best.

I see the Alcan5000 like a cruise ship vacation for die hard motorcyclists... It is well scripted, well supported, but we get to ride our own dirt bikes through exotic terrain! Add in the competitive element and you have something totally unique and close to our hearts.

Don't miss it.

-P
Old 11-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #83
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,532
FUN

I will have to do this, someday.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #84
carl johansson
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Team Semper Fi injured Marines Invade Alaska!

Alright guys, we are in. originally i was toying with trying to man up and somehow, impossibly make a husky 450TE go through the torture. But then I got a better idea. we wioll be running 1 or 2 cars, and possibly a bike. team members will be guys from Team Semper Fi, the injured Marine fund. These are guys who came back with TBI, PTSD, missing 1, 2, 3 limbs. So we wil put 2 or 3 guys in each car. If we can find one who is qualified, perhaps we will run a bike as well.

The whole thing will be to raise money for the fund (rated A+, one of the top 10 charities in the country, etc) so far 66 million given to marines and other service men to support them in whatever they need to progess and move forward and adjust. One of the things that helps alot, is that they formed the sports team, these guys participate in the para Olympics, the warrior games, triathlons biathlons ebndurance bike rides, marathons, you name it. But we have never attempted something like this before. But i figure marine training, adapt adjust overcome, training in navigation, perserverence, all of that stuff will help us through this.

Anyway, their website is a bit sparse, and dated, and they use an old discussion group on yahoo to communicate, so I am hoping a few of the veterans residing here will be able to help me out with advise!

thanks guys
carl johansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:42 AM   #85
Pantah OP
Patriot Nation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl johansson View Post
Alright guys, we are in. originally i was toying with trying to man up and somehow, impossibly make a husky 450TE go through the torture. But then I got a better idea. we wioll be running 1 or 2 cars, and possibly a bike. team members will be guys from Team Semper Fi, the injured Marine fund. These are guys who came back with TBI, PTSD, missing 1, 2, 3 limbs. So we wil put 2 or 3 guys in each car. If we can find one who is qualified, perhaps we will run a bike as well.

The whole thing will be to raise money for the fund (rated A+, one of the top 10 charities in the country, etc) so far 66 million given to marines and other service men to support them in whatever they need to progess and move forward and adjust. One of the things that helps alot, is that they formed the sports team, these guys participate in the para Olympics, the warrior games, triathlons biathlons ebndurance bike rides, marathons, you name it. But we have never attempted something like this before. But i figure marine training, adapt adjust overcome, training in navigation, perserverence, all of that stuff will help us through this.

Anyway, their website is a bit sparse, and dated, and they use an old discussion group on yahoo to communicate, so I am hoping a few of the veterans residing here will be able to help me out with advise!

thanks guys
Hello Carl, and glad you are entering. It sounds like a good cause. I support something similar called 'Homes for our Troops'. The charity builds specially equipped houses for wounded veterans and gives them away. I have a nephew who was one of the first recipients and he went on to raise money for the cause. Great kid and doing well in life. Just got his bachelors degree.

Regarding the event, I think you should send deposits to make sure you secure your entries. They can only field about 35-40 entries and while they never filled up before, they could this time.

They had a team competition in 2010 that might be appealing to you. Two cars drafted one bike rider from the entry list and they started training in the months leading up. Turned out the rider they drafted was my buddy from HS. Anyway, the fellow who ran the team taught my buddy his time keeping and they won the whole thing. I was pissed!

You can PM me with questions if you want and I'll give you my email address and phone # for better communication. Acerph has run it a couple times too, so he could be helpful. I think the website is pretty up-to-date, but you can always email the rallymaster, Jerry Hines. The main thing is to understand the rules, schedule, itinerary and general route. We don't get specific route sheets until the night before the next stage. Given who you are bringing along, you might need special room accommodations too. Jerry is very helpful in that way. The Yahoogroups thing is set up to protect our privacy I think.

BTW: for the riders--- They are considering allowing Rotopax fuel cells with a permenant mount system. They are looking for input so send Jerry your thoughts if you are for or against. Motorcycles need 170 miles fuel range. Some of the bikes entered would require an aftermarket tank, which can be extremely expensive for one event.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:56 AM   #86
Stinky151
Gnarly Adventurer

Being active duty military going to this, all I can say is....AWESOME!!! I have always admired the marines, and often wish I would have gone that route.

I spoke with Jerry on the phone about ten days ago. I am sure they will do ANYTHING to help out, as their son is a marine finishing his IRR time. Can't wait to meet you guys there!

Old 11-19-2012, 07:37 AM   #87
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah
Acerph has run it a couple times too, so he could be helpful.
I would be happy to help, but before any of you ask any questions, you should know that I didn't place very well in either of the two events.

What I did was have a fabulous time, meet some great folks, see amazing country, eat really good food, ride every day for about a month, and get that traveling fever that never goes away.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #88
carl johansson
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Thanks guys, I am sure i will be leaning on you often to get information and ideas. We have only entered one car so far. simply because i do not yet know how the fund raising will go. i need to raise money for each entry to get 2 marines to the race, and back home. and if i need more than one car, i need to find a way to cover that as well. I take care of all my expenses, but I cannot fund the marines, and I do not want this to come out of the charity budget,. This is all about 3 things, 1. Marine Participation, 2. raising the awareness of the fund -3. adding money to the charity! (Ie the charity is not funding this, I am raising money to fund the marine portion of the venture, with hopefully a significant amount left over to contribute to the fund!

so thats why I started with one entry, we will see how that progresses!
carl johansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #89
novaboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Well, I am really, really interested in this, I have to get my buddy onboard and then run it by the Opposition Minister, I mean my wife, save some money, get a new bike, find out about shipping it to Washington, and then home again from Anchorage and we're all set. Damn I hate living on the east coast sometimes.

Next years practice for this will be the NFLD T'Railway and then the Trans Labrador Highway, that should be a good shakedown run.
https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #90
Pantah OP
Patriot Nation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaboy View Post
Well, I am really, really interested in this, I have to get my buddy onboard and then run it by the Opposition Minister, I mean my wife, save some money, get a new bike, find out about shipping it to Washington, and then home again from Anchorage and we're all set. Damn I hate living on the east coast sometimes.

Next years practice for this will be the NFLD T'Railway and then the Trans Labrador Highway, that should be a good shakedown run.

novaboy - There are several Canadians entered from the east part of the continent. Maybe there is a way to tow a box trailer with all your bikes and gear to Seattle and back. That way you can get some economies. Shipping one way to Seattle on a pallet is about $600.

In 2006 Crankshaft and I both towed coast/coast and back a couple hours apart! There is a possibility of getting space on the sweep trailers from Anchorage back to Seattle too. But it's still a 3.5 day trip trailering or riding...