User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
Glowbug OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Blue Point vs. Snap On combo wrench opinions/experiences

I know, I know they're not US-made, but does anyone have input on whether or not a few sets of Blue Point combo wrenches would be a good buy for someone putting together a starting tool set? I've bought US-made sockets and ratchets already, but the sets I'm looking at from Proto will run about $500 new - I could pick up a set of BPs for a lot less than that.

Before Gearwrench went to the PRC, their Taiwanese-produced lines seemed to get decent reviews - so I shouldn't be afraid of these, right?

Thanks in advance.
Glowbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,555
I don't see why not. Why is everyone of the opinion that if a tool isn't made in the USA it's junk?

Blueproint wrenches fit the bolt head just as well as SnapOn, I have a few of both, but most of my wrenches are Craftsman and I have no complaints about them either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,567
I have a LOT of Snap On tools and a couple sets of the Blue Point gear ratchet wrench sets. They work just fine. I actually like them better than the Snap On gear wrenchs.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,506
Quality is only one part of the equation. Doesn't using tools made in America give you a good feeling inside? It does it for me. I am always willing to pay a little more for American made products everything else being equal.
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
Rd650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Snapon=Lifetime warranty on hand tools
Blue Point= No lifetime warranty on hand tools.
Look at the online catalog for country of origin
Rd650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
Tammy
Team 2nd Wind

Oddometer: 1,462
SnapOn
AMA / CJCR / ECEA
In a world that what we want is only what we want until it's ours
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,359
I have Snap-On. I also have two sets of Craftsman Professional long arm fully polished wrenches. The Crafty Pros are a VERY CLOSE second at a fraction of the cost. US made http://www.sears.com/craftsman-profe...p-00945963000P
Old 11-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowbug View Post
I know, I know they're not US-made, but does anyone have input on whether or not a few sets of Blue Point combo wrenches would be a good buy for someone putting together a starting tool set? I've bought US-made sockets and ratchets already, but the sets I'm looking at from Proto will run about $500 new - I could pick up a set of BPs for a lot less than that.

Before Gearwrench went to the PRC, their Taiwanese-produced lines seemed to get decent reviews - so I shouldn't be afraid of these, right?

Thanks in advance.
Proto was stamped or set by forged on tools during the VN war. Proto was a US Gov't contract name made by the Thorsen Tool Co in Emeryville, CA, during the 60s. These tools were used everywhere in VN & by Military Units being transferred. They were good strong tools. Funny to see the name pop up after so many decades.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowbug View Post

Thanks in advance.
go with real Snap-on ... track record wise Snap-on has the highest reseal values. forget blue point wrenches... might as well get Craftsman.

almost never purchase Snap-on wrench sets new... too frigging expensive. always keep an eye open for used Snap-on tools.

used retail at say a pawnshop for Snap-on hand tools are about 50% of book retail. this means pawnshops will pay about 10% of book retail.

so if you can purchase Snap-on hand tools for 25% of book retail... generally your $$$ is pretty safe. if you pay full book retail from the Snap-on truck... you will lose! there's no way around it. that said... when I visit a Snap-on truck, will almost always buy something. you still need their support on warranty issues.

unless you've got a paying job that needs special Snap-on tool... forget about buying it from a snap-on tool truck.

_cy_ screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 01:40 AM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
mudmonster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Guys I am a Snap on franchisee down under and the bulk of ratchet scanners I sell is Bluepoint spherical drive and 12 point standard drive. Bluepoint as far as ratchet scanners does has a lifetime warranty ,but rarely needs it.I have Snapon and Bluepoint scanners and apart from the chrome quality it's hard to tell the difference. That's my five cents worth !
mudmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #11
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
Proto was stamped or set by forged on tools during the VN war. Proto was a US Gov't contract name made by the Thorsen Tool Co in Emeryville, CA, during the 60s. These tools were used everywhere in VN & by Military Units being transferred. They were good strong tools. Funny to see the name pop up after so many decades.
Proto is a Stanley brand, now.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #12
macd7919
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
I've got a full set of snap on flank drives and also blue point ratcheting. The blue points aren't quite as nice finish quality but they work well. You may notice on the open end of the snap ons there will be a couple grooves that grab the edges of the nuts, the blue points (at least mine) don't have that feature. Honestly I probably use my blue points more than my snap on. Also, check with your local dealer, most of them will give you the same warranty on the blue points as snap on, just ask them. I've had three separate dealers for different regions and they all warrantied my blue point no questions asked. I wouldn't hesitate to buy blue point again.
macd7919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #13
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,235
I have a roll away tool box full of mostly Snap-On, some Mac, Matco, & a few Craftsman. Craftsman is a good dollar value for the home mechanic. I've got no complaints with the Craftsman wrenches.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:14 PM   #14
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rd650 View Post
Snapon=Lifetime warranty on hand tools
Blue Point= No lifetime warranty on hand tools.
Look at the online catalog for country of origin
You have been misinformed , Blue Point has a lifetime warranty just like Snap On .

For a home mechanic , to save some money , Craftsman would be another option .
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #15
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,156
While I am always happy to pay "a little more" for US-made stuff, I am not willing to pay five to ten times more.

Anyway, I'm not sure why the OP feels that a beginner in the dark arts of wrenchery needs arse-bleedingly expensive tools. Go to your local Sears or Lowes, get some Craftsman or Kobalt stuff, and dig in. When you break stuff on a Saturday afternoon (and you will) you won't need to track down a Snap-On truck.

Also, we seem to be discussing a couple of different things. Ratcheting wrenches are NOT a substitute for combination wrenches -- whatever their pedigree, the ratcheting mechanisms can't withstand nearly the same force.

The solution, of course, is to buy both...
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote