Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #556
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,057
Yeah, mine locks at about 45 degrees left from straight ahead, most my other bikes lock further left so it took awhile to get used to

I show ambient temperature after trip meter #2, but before odometer.

Mine ca,e with the owners manual, which is pretty detailed. I haven't bought the DVD service manual yet but I plan to.

Congrats on the new ride!
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #557
ktmjvh15
n00b

Oddometer: 9
thanks for the feedback. I did end up getting the ignition lock working by moving the handle bars forward. All good there.

And the ambient temp for some reason that doesn't show up so I will have to take that in to get looked at.

I found on the KTM website you can download the spare parts manuals for the engine and the chasis for the bike. You just need to enter your VIN # and delivery certificate #. Apparently all that comes with the bike is the owners manual. At least this is what the sales manager from the place I bought it from told me today. He said this is what his KTM rep told him. I am assuming he's telling the truth.
ktmjvh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #558
ktmjvh15
n00b

Steering dampers for this bike. Does anyone use one here? Is it necessary?

Do they even make one that fits the bike Scotts or GPR? Just curious what others are using or not using.

Also from most of the reading I have been doing people have good feedback about the motobox for this bike. I found a local shop here that has the Rottweiler intake system. Has anyone used this one? This is basically the same concept.

http://www.cprfabrications.com/Rottw...akeSystem.html
Old 09-21-2012, 11:04 PM   #559
ktmjvh15
n00b

Does anyone here use a steering damper for the bike? Is it necessary? If so what brand GPR or Scotts.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #560
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
I've been running an Emig damper on my 950SMR for several years now. Is it necessary... well that depends. Strickly speaking I'd say no. However I noticed at elevated highway speeds in traffic the wind turbulance off of SUV's and large trucks would cause instability. I tried several suggested fixes, the only thing that worked was the damper. I find the damper very useful on bumpy back roads and at the Track as well. Plus the upgraded tripple clamps improved stearing response and feel. Overall it's made an amazing bike even better in my mind.

The only down side is price. I've long since forgot the pain of the nearly $1k purchase and would say it's made a much greater overall improvment in the ride than the simularly priced Akro end cans I'm running.

Enjoy your new ride!

NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmjvh15 View Post
Does anyone here use a steering damper for the bike? Is it necessary? If so what brand GPR or Scotts.
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #561
Taz1200

Oddometer: 176
I bought a 16 tooth sprocket a while ago and just got around to putting it on.....much better ride now....first is a bit quick but now it made 6th gear much more usable at highway speeds...If I lived in the land of constant twisties like some other SMR owners I know it ..and the was no such thing as highway riding it may not be an improvement.....for me I just wish I did it sooner....now just need a day off to go ride...
Taz1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #562
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Any new 990SMRs available?

Any body know of a new 990SMR sitting in dealer stock somewhere?
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #563
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Not sure if they still have this

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...oto-R-98894086

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones View Post
Any body know of a new 990SMR sitting in dealer stock somewhere?
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #564
ktmMike OP
roadscout

Oddometer: 1,216
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz1200 View Post
I bought a 16 tooth sprocket a while ago and just got around to putting it on.....much better ride now....first is a bit quick but now it made 6th gear much more usable at highway speeds...If I lived in the land of constant twisties like some other SMR owners I know it ..and the was no such thing as highway riding it may not be an improvement.....for me I just wish I did it sooner....now just need a day off to go ride...

Well actually I did finally settle on the 16 tooth,
but the decision had little to do with 6th gear, which I rarely use.

The Nottarally is going on now in Hot Springs. I'm heading up there in the morning.

ktmMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #565
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmMike View Post
All you need to do is call KTM of North America in Amhearst,
440 985 3553 and talk to Carol.
She will make copies of the parts manuals and mail them to you in a big envelope.
crap, didn't work for me. Kept trying to get to Carol, the guy that answered the phone said they didn't do that any longer but he would talk to Carol. He called back an hour later and left the message that she said "no."

any of you FF's that have it wanna send it to me to copy, I'll pay shipping both ways???
Old 11-12-2012, 04:13 AM   #566
gkaan
Bikes on the Brain

Oddometer: 506
KTM carbon Fibre wheels

im selling my KTM carbon fibre wheels in flea market if anyones interested. Its the best performance upgrade you do buy IMO for you SM.
gkaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #567
Dirty Dharma Bum
worlds slowest rider

Oddometer: 88
strange concern

Had my SMR about 4 months and 4k miles, it's my daily commuter and love the bike. My one strange complaint is getting the mother luvin' gas cap off. This operation can take anywhere from 3 seconds to 3 minutes (which is far too long while sitting at a gas pump). I cannot discover the gremlin causing the frustration and i'm curious if anyone has ever heard of this problem on these bikes or better yet a solution to the dilemna?
'12 BMW K 1300 (here 'busa, 'busa, 'busa
“Live, travel, adventure, bless, and don't be sorry.”
Dirty Dharma Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #568
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dharma Bum View Post
Had my SMR about 4 months and 4k miles, it's my daily commuter and love the bike. My one strange complaint is getting the mother luvin' gas cap off. This operation can take anywhere from 3 seconds to 3 minutes (which is far too long while sitting at a gas pump). I cannot discover the gremlin causing the frustration and i'm curious if anyone has ever heard of this problem on these bikes or better yet a solution to the dilemna?
The plastic lip at the bottom of the cap is swelling. I think it has something to do with ethanol, but there is an inmate on this thread who swears he has only used non-ethanol fuel and still had the same problem. I had to take a knife and shave the edge of the lip off, all away around the circumference of that plastic piece, so that it would slide in and out of the fuel opening easily. I sent pics to my dealer and he acknowledged that there is a problem, and that the "fix" per KTM is to do exactly what I had done. I find that hard to believe - but maybe he is right. I do see that that part of the cap,sits in the fuel if the tank is full, and that trimming or shaving the bottom lip fixed the problem for me.

I can post a pic later if you need, of how I trimmed my cap, just LMK. And welcome to the thread, they are awesome bikes!
Old 11-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #569
Dirty Dharma Bum
worlds slowest rider

Oddometer: 88
thanks for the advice

appreciate the recommendation Piney, i'll give it a shot or better yet ask my local dealer to bust out the dremmel and do it for me.
'12 BMW K 1300 (here 'busa, 'busa, 'busa
“Live, travel, adventure, bless, and don't be sorry.”
Dirty Dharma Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #570
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dharma Bum View Post
appreciate the recommendation Piney, i'll give it a shot or better yet ask my local dealer to bust out the dremmel and do it for me.
IIRC, the plastic didn't "file" very well, a Dremel might just "melt" the edge. A razor did the job, I was going to clean it up a bit but I never see it anyway, and I forgot about it until you posted up LOL.