Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 315 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #26056
BmoreBandit
Gnarly something..

Oddometer: 492
First class, Gumm! Thanks!

I forgot to mention skate and pump track forays, too. I am too old to really kick ass but would like to get techincally better and have some urban fun.
See, you can have tight tight shorts and do it all amazingly well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmJtYaUTa0

My fav video in a while...

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
BmoreBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #26057
HappyRiding
Grumpy

Oddometer: 3,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Marry me?!

M
Can you build wheels? Please PM pics of your bicycle tools and road bikes.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:19 AM   #26058
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreBandit View Post
I like HD because it has a lot less maintenance (and I break stuff) and in y view allows me to be as fast on uphills as I can get. So for awhile I was thinking still of upgrading to a F/S, either a Rumblefish or a Stumpy but nowadays I am thinking of staying with my HD Kona and picking up a 'fun' and city bike.
Here comes the questions part-
Is the general opinion that F/S is really just for rider comfort and some traction help on a trail ride? Curious what riders here think.
Like you, I used to think that nothing climbs like a HT, especially a 29er. Well, after spending two weeks and 155 miles of singletrack on a FS29er that myth has been quashed. I am 2-3 minutes faster per lap which equates to a 1-1.5 mph avg increase in speed. The bike puts the power to the ground on the climbs and it just flat rails the corners. However, its a 5k dollar bike (Pivot Mach429). Would a FS at half price ride as well? I dunno. I had a cheapish FS 26er and it truly sucked, so for many years I was biased. I rode the 29er HT on Wednesday and was sliding all over the place and spinning up the climbs, which were covered with dry leaves. I didn't buy the Pivot for rider comfort, but that has been a nice side benefit as well. I can now ride 5 days in a row without my back killing me like it used to on the HT. The mileage and the fun factor has gone way up with this bike. A fast racer buddy has a Stumpy and loves it. I can actually keep him in sight now.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #26059
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Like you, I used to think that nothing climbs like a HT, especially a 29er. Well, after spending two weeks and 155 miles of singletrack on a FS29er that myth has been quashed. I am 2-3 minutes faster per lap which equates to a 1-1.5 mph avg increase in speed. The bike puts the power to the ground on the climbs and it just flat rails the corners.
I've had the same experience. I was initially very skeptical that a 29er would perform as well or better than my 26er, but repeated timed comparisons show that it really is faster except on trails consisting of hairpin turns. On steep hill climbs, the 29er wins hands down.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #26060
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRiding View Post
Can you build wheels? Please PM pics of your bicycle tools and road bikes.
Yes, I can build wheels. All but 2.5 of my wheelsets are built by me.

Unfortunately, my tool(s) are in a rather small box. Hard to take a picture of em.

You've seen pics of the bikes. If you don't remember, they're in the 'show us your bicycle' thread around here somewhere.

So... there I was... off on a whirlwind adventure out in The Plains, VA with a couple of buddies. Gravel road riding on our cross bikes. I put my Racing Ralph clincher on the front of a front wheel I'd built up pending finding a black Open Pro to match for the rear. Built it appx 12mos ago and just last week found an Open Pro for a deal.

...so I'm bombing down this gravel road at a high rate of speed when all of a sudden

WHAM!

WTF? Why's my handling all wonky?! Damn! Front flat at 'busting a gut down a hill speed?!' SHIT! I can't stop now, so I'll have to ride it out till the bottom. Thank doG it turned to pavement about a meter before I flatted.

So I get to the bottom of the hill, pull the tube and notice that I've ripped the top part where the valve screws shut. Blow it up to see where the hole is and find a round hole opposite the valve.

I musta hit something REALLY 'just wrong' to get that to happen. First time in 20+ years of riding.

Oh, and did I mention today was the first ride EVAR on that wheel? Yeah. Effed up the front rim on the first time out on it. How's THAT for a sonofabitch?!

Put the spare tube in and finished the rest of the ride except now every time I go to brake I get a thumpthumpthump and shuddering on the front.

Up and over Busthead Rd. then up and over the other part of Busthead road to 55. Crossed that and detoured left up and over Old Georgetown Pike to get to another stretch of dirt road before the pavement slog to my buddy's house.

3:38 on the 'road' and no assholes

M
Old 11-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #26061
BmoreBandit
Gnarly something..

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I've had the same experience. I was initially very skeptical that a 29er would perform as well or better than my 26er, but repeated timed comparisons show that it really is faster except on trails consisting of hairpin turns. On steep hill climbs, the 29er wins hands down.
Oh, I am fully for 29ers on the trail- that is unless one is under 5', then I would consider a 26er. However, aside of some downhill it is only on steep climbs that one could be better off with smaller wheels.
a) easier to get them spinning than the mass of a 29 wheel, could be usefull when it is steep
b) lower 1X1 than 29er gearing 1X1, and sometimes it's usefull to go that low

That being said, I am a bigger guy and have no problem powering the 29er momentum.
It is the silver lining of a F/S as opposed to a HD that I was questioning. I do feel like I need to be careful of my line a lot more, and for some reason I find it easier to do certain moves shock assissted (like bunny hops).
I don't sit down (or feel it) much so comfort is not of an issue.
That Pivot is a nice bike, indeed. I think it cost more than my dirt bikes combined, so it better be good!

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
BmoreBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #26062
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreBandit View Post
I don't have a street bicycle, so no idea regaridng paces and clubs...to me it looks like just 'workout', as much as I enjoy that, I like to have it peppered with some fun and if I lived in PHX I would sure own a mt bike.
My question here has more to do with different bike purposes. I am looking to get more technical. I've been riding a HD 29er pretty much in AM style and it has been working out. Being the only HD in a group I get props every time I don't suck too much on a downhill. I like HD because it has a lot less maintenance (and I break stuff) and in y view allows me to be as fast on uphills as I can get. So for awhile I was thinking still of upgrading to a F/S, either a Rumblefish or a Stumpy but nowadays I am thinking of staying with my HD Kona and picking up a 'fun' and city bike.
Here comes the questions part-
Is the general opinion that F/S is really just for rider comfort and some traction help on a trail ride? Curious what riders here think.
What is the legit difference between a trials bike and a DJ? I see a relatively cheap Kona Shonty here..would that work for the fun stuff like city riding, few smaller jumps, lite trials stuff? Or should I go for a ridgid trials bike for the around the neighborhood fun...? I don't see either of these bikes going ona serious trail ride.
And finally, would a DH like Kona Stinky be good at all for around town and stunt playing?
Thanks, hopefully not every one here is wearing tight, tight shorts!
OK,
1st, if you want a trialsy HT 29er, check this out.... RCP NE29ER Ryan can do custom, his Kickstart didn't pan out, but he will build the frame on a small scale. Here is his website RCP fabrication

The problem with going to a trials specific frame is that that is about all they are good for. They have evolved with SUPER high bottombrackets... Look for an older trials frame if that is what you want.

DH bikes have SUPER slack headtube angles, make them really floppy unless you are flying down hill, or stairs....

If you want a FS all-mountain 29er check out these.
Transition makes a covert 29er (140mm) and a bandit 29er (120mm).
Banshee makes the Prime.
Intense makes a variety also 27.5 and 29ers.... VERY well built bikes. They tend to go from the spider 29er which is more XC to the tracer 29 which is more gravity, they have a gap, but that may not matter for you....

The main problem these days is finding the bike that works across all styles. We have gotten very specialized, and that requires a quiver.

If you have more specific questions let me know, I can steer you in various directions.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:15 AM   #26063
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

0845 East coast time

LIVE Euro cross bay-bee!

M
Old 11-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #26064
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
My cycling friend was killed, Thursday. He was a great man. Hard to believe.

Ironically, my GF and I were hit, Sunday, in my pickup, just the other side of the town where Grover was hit.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #26065
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Ugh. That sucks.

My heartfelt condolences to the family.

M
Old 11-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #26066
Slimie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post

Ironically, my GF and I were hit, Sunday, in my pickup, just the other side of the town where Grover was hit.
What a waste, I'm so sorry.

-Simon
Slimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #26067
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,000
Ducnut - so sorry to hear about that. He seemed like a really nice guy....condolences to his friends and family
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #26068
HappyRiding
Grumpy

Oddometer: 3,187
Dunut, I am so very sorry about your friend.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #26069
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,061
Quote:

and the murderer gets cited for 'improper lane use' ?!?

arrrrgh.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #26070
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,987
Quote:

Man, I'm so sorry for your loss. He was fairly well known in rando circles. From an email that I received yesterday:
Grover started his love affair with Randonneuring in 2009 with 5 RUSA rides, 1,016 kmís. In 2010 he almost doubled his 2009 rides with 9 rides 1,837 kmís. In 2011 Grover rode 23,640 Kmís on a total of 185 different RUSA rides, an average of over 3.5 rides per week, and I think that he fell and broke a leg that year, only one of those rides was a Brevet. Grover had already surpassed his 2011 kmís this year, and was on track to earn more than 25,000 kmís, making him one of the very few RUSA members to acquire a ďDouble Dog and Half K-Hound StatusĒ.
I can only hope that I'm half the cyclist he was at the age of 70.

It's unbelievable that the driver was cited only for an improper lane change.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: