'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #17
SloMo228 OP
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
That tank looks like it was made for the bike!
Excellent choice and in great condition too.
Winner!
Thanks! It was kind of a shot in the dark. I spent a couple days looking at tanks on eBay, pestering sellers for measurements. It took a while to find a tank that looked good, was in decent shape, looked like it had enough room underneath to fit over the CX's engine hangers, and didn't cost a bunch of money. I got this tank for about $50 shipped. It's kind of rusty inside, but not too bad - it can definitely clean up.

I'll have to make some mounts for it, but I'm happy with it. I thought I was going to have to beat in the bottom of any tank I got. Now I have a decent looking tank with another gallon and a half of extra capacity compared to the original.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #18
SloMo228 OP
World Class Cheapass

Still waiting on parts...

It was nice out today, too. Could have gotten a lot of work done but instead all I could do was putter around in the garage. I cleaned up and painted a few parts, and decided I'd rather have the frame black than gray, so I repainted the frame. I left my phone in the house, though, so I didn't get any pictures, not that they'd be particularly exciting.

I also ran out of welding gas, and couldn't get any more since it's a Sunday, so the tank will have to wait 'til my next day off... Hopefully this week I can make more progress. I've got Thursday off, fingers crossed for decent weather - it's been cold and rainy almost every day this week.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #19
SloMo228 OP
World Class Cheapass

Today was a looooooong day at work, didn't get home 'til 10:30, after a nice "refreshing" ride in the rain through Detroit at night and having two morons pull out in front of me and nearly kill me...

Anyway, when I finally got home, I had several big boxes waiting for me. My forks and rear wheel are finally here! I'm skipping class and calling in to work tomorrow to finally make some real progress on this thing. Hope it's all gonna fit.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #20
SloMo228 OP
World Class Cheapass

There's good news and there's bad news.

Well, I set about fitting up the new parts I got today. Mixed results, unfortunately.

The rear wheel was a happy surprise, the drive spline matched the rear end, the drum brake fit perfectly, and the CX650 spacers fit as well:

I thought I'd done well, until I looked at it from the back and noticed this:

The offset is all wrong. This wheel came off of a mid 80s VF750, which has the final drive on the left-hand side instead of the right like the CX. I had hoped it wouldn't really matter, but no such luck, obviously. Crap. Now I have to figure out something else for the rear wheel since I definitely can't use this one and I'm not going to use the 15" stocker since there are no tires at all available for that goofy cruiser size.

But, on the bright side, the XL600 forks fit nicely, I was even able to use the CX axle so I know everything is in the correct alignment.

The CX front brake bracket won't fit the XL forks, but making a new bracket won't be too terribly difficult. (The mess in the background is my other project, currently on hold while this one is in progress - a basketcase GL1500. What a headache, all that plastic)

I hope I can figure something out for the rear wheel. There is, if all else fails, one option - I'm told I can pull the rear cover off the engine, then swap a CX500 output shaft so that I can use the CX500 final drive. This would be a PITA since the final drives aren't a bolt-on swap. I'd have to cut off the flanges of my 650 swingarm and a 500 swingarm and then weld the 500 flange to my 650 swingarm.

My best bet now is to fit a Comstar from a CX650 Turbo, but those came with rear disc brakes, so I'd have to swap all that nonsense over and then fab mounts for the caliper bracket. The plus side would be gaining a rear disc instead of having a drum in the back, I guess, but doing that will drive the cost of this project much higher than I want.

I'm open to ideas, if anyone knows of a Honda shaft drive bike that has a drum brake and a right-hand shaft drive, let me know. The problem is that the CX650 uses a different drive flange than most other Honda shafties of the era.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #21
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
Good INspirational Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJake View Post
I thought it then I saw this post. Better than G-chrome.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #22
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,023
Have you considered making spoke wheels.
Maybe you could cut the rim and spokes off the original rear wheel and then machine it down and put spoke holes in the hub so that you can fit any rim you like.
You would need to make friends with some one with a mill and skills to use it.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #23
SloMo228 OP
World Class Cheapass

Progress for the sake of progress

Well, despite today's setback, I got some more work done. I got the triple clamps cleaned up and painted, then installed them with the new XL forks. I'll have to take it all apart again to replace the fork seals, but I needed a little inspiration seeing the thing look like a motorcycle again:

I mocked up some mini gauges I had in my parts pile from an old project, I don't mind the look of these:

I'd prefer one of the all-in-one digital gauges like the Acewell gauge or the Danmoto SP2, but that's not in the budget for this bike (especially since I might have to search out a CX650 Turbo rear wheel). Maybe someday down the road, but these will work for the time being, and I kind of like the offset mounting. I'll just have to make a little dash panel for the idiot lights and temp gauge, maybe add a USB port for charging a GPS/phone.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #24
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
This looks like a neat project. Do you know how much rear wheel travel you can get with the 650 shaft set up?
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #25
SloMo228 OP
World Class Cheapass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmklx View Post
This looks like a neat project. Do you know how much rear wheel travel you can get with the 650 shaft set up?
The swingarm actually has 14" of travel from stop to stop, but I want to limit it some to avoid damaging the shaft. I'm thinking I can probably get around 8" of usable travel, and I'll try to set the sag so that the suspension is fairly level when I'm sitting on it so most of the operation will be in the normal range of the driveshaft - I'm no dirt racer, so if I do ever get to the limits of my suspension travel, it will only be briefly, so any extra wear from increased driveline angle should be minimized.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #26
SloMo228 OP
World Class Cheapass

Had a bit of free time today so I headed back out to the garage. I got a couple new parts, namely handlebars and seat, so I mounted the bars and mocked up the seat. Then, I was looking through parts from old projects and found a fender that I'd once used on my GL1000 as a swingarm-mounted "hugger" type fender. I cut the support struts off of it and set it on the back of the frame just for laughs. It was a pretty damn close fit, just the rear end of the frame was interfering. So, I lopped it off:

I welded up a mount for the front of the fender, bent the edges out a bit at the front for clearance, and it looks pretty good on there, I think. I mocked everything up for a couple shots:

I probably won't get too much farther on it for a week or so, my schedule is pretty full. But so far I'm pretty pleased with how this project is coming along. The only real sticking point is the wheels, but I still have a couple of ideas to try out on that front.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #27
SloMo228 OP
World Class Cheapass

No luck on the CX500 Comstar wheel. The drive flanges are the same bolt pattern but the hub itself is different and won't work with the 650 final drive.

So, it looks like my options are either to go with a CX650 Turbo 18" rear or get a custom rim for a VT800 spoked rear hub and offset it appropriately for the 650. Neither one would be a particularly cheap option, unfortunately. Still, even if I do either of those, my total cost for this bike is going to be less than $1500. I was hoping to keep it under $1K but I don't think that's going to happen.

I'm going to leave the rear wheel issue on the back burner for now and finish up the rest of the bike first.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #28
SloMo228 OP
World Class Cheapass

I had an hour to kill today in between errands, so I headed to the garage again. I built mounts for the seat:

Front mounts:

Rear mounts:

And with the seat on:

I don't like how the fender just cuts off where it does, but I'll probably just leave it for now since I want to ride the damn thing sometime soon. Tomorrow I'll get the gas tank mounted, then really the only things left are rebuilding the forks, rebuilding the carbs, painting, and getting new wheels/tires. Oh, and trying to stuff all the wiring into the new headlight shell.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #29
SloMo228 OP
World Class Cheapass

Today, I mounted some dirtbike-style pegs:

They needed a little bit of grinding and welding to fit and sit level, but nothing major. I wasn't able to get the spring to fit in there, so I went without. Don't really need it as far as I can see. :

I also started on the exhaust:

I wish I had a tube bender, it would make this part of the project much easier. But it won't be too bad anyway, I'll just have to buy pre-bent tubes and cut/fit.

I also worked on getting the gas tank mounted, but didn't actually progress any on that front. I'm still puzzling it out in my head, trying to figure out the best way to mount it.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #30
SloMo228 OP
World Class Cheapass

I've been really busy lately with work, and exams are coming up in class, so I haven't had a lot of time to work on the 650. But I did get about an hour yesterday afternoon to get out to the garage. I made up some front gas tank mounts:

I also got my spoked rear wheel and mounted it:

It needs new bearings since the VT800 it came off of had a 20mm rear axle and the CX650 has a 17mm rear axle. But that will just be a matter of finding the right size bearings. I haven't double-checked but I think the CX650 bearings will work in the VT800 wheel. Once I have it mounted properly, I'll be sending it off to Buchanan to have the hub laced to an 18" rim. I have a 21" spoked wheel for the front on its way.

Here's where she sits now:

It's in the frustrating middle stages of the project, where most of the dramatic big changes have been made but there are still a lot of little things to do that always end up taking twice as long as you expect. But I'm still pleased with how it's coming along.