Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
Digger1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Need To Weatherproof An LED Mount - But How?

Hello all,

I'm in desperate need of good advice here and I'm hopin' that one or more of you can help me out.

I'm making a display for use on a motorcycle that involves some LEDs. The build info on this project bike is here. You need to register to get into this site, but no worries, Glenn (the Admin) will not spam you.....

The LEDs in question are mounted on a section of PVC pipe that has been filed flat so that the LED mounting collars will sit flush with the exterior surface of said pipe. Here is a closeup of one:

I need ideas on how to make this LED mount waterproof.

My original idea was to smear some RTV inside the section of pipe, over the bottom part of the LED, but that will not work because there is not enough room for me to get inside the pipe and smear said RTV around. I tried smearing some of the same RTV around the outside of the mount, hoping to waterproof it in this way, but the RTV did not adhere well to the subject surfaces.

Please keep in mind that the mounting collar must be sealed to the PVC pipe and that the LED lens needs to be sealed to the inside diameter of the mounting collar.

These are my requirements:

1. The sealing method must be waterproof, weatherproof, UV resistant, and very durable (lasting 10 years or more under savage conditions).

2. The sealing method must not damage the LED lens in any way.

3. The sealing method must be strong enough to keep the LED and its mount from moving around (note that the hole I drilled in the pipe was the smallest I could get away with - the fit is fairly snug already).

4. The sealing method must not obscure the LED from being viewed.

I'm thinkin' that some type of glue will work, but which one? I had a notion to try super glue, but I don't think that that stuff holds up well to moisture over the long term - I could be wrong, though.

FWIW, I found these:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...295434?cur=USD

However, they are much too spendy for me!

FYI, here is the package that the LED and its mounting collar came in:

I'm lookin' forward to your expertise, wisdom, and experiences!

TIA!
Digger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,738
How about partially filling the pipe with clear epoxy?

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,352
I'm not clear on how it sits in the pipe. Lets see a pic of one dry assembled then we'll offer you our supreme advice

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Digger1 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
How about partially filling the pipe with clear epoxy?
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your input!

The interior of the pipe has circuitry that I may need to access, so I want to keep things clear in there.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
Digger1 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
I'm not clear on how it sits in the pipe. Lets see a pic of one dry assembled then we'll offer you our supreme advice
Good comment....here ya go:

The circuitry and the LEDs are slid into the pipe from one of the ends. The LEDs poke through the two drilled holes.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
Digger1 OP
Adventurer

What does everyone think of using Liquid Tape or Plasti-Dip for this job?
Old 11-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,221
Both liquid electric tape and plasti dip do not hold up reliably.

As suggested, I would suggest a clear epoxy of some sort. My suggestion would be to call Fiberglass Coatings-
http://www.fgci.com/ and talk to them and have them suggest a product to you. I have no affiliation with them other than as a very satisfied customer.

Additionally, if you are manufacturing a product I would find a rubber or plastic cable grommet to push into the hole, it will look much much more professional and cost pennies when you buy a bunch of them.

Here's a web search hit:

http://www.directindustry.com/prod/heyco/rubber-cable-grommets-11746-372384.html

And again, I'd say to call them and talk to a salesperson and have them suggest some options for you.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #8
Digger1 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
Both liquid electric tape and plasti dip do not hold up reliably.

As suggested, I would suggest a clear epoxy of some sort. My suggestion would be to call Fiberglass Coatings-
http://www.fgci.com/ and talk to them and have them suggest a product to you. I have no affiliation with them other than as a very satisfied customer.

Additionally, if you are manufacturing a product I would find a rubber or plastic cable grommet to push into the hole, it will look much much more professional and cost pennies when you buy a bunch of them.

Here's a web search hit:

http://www.directindustry.com/prod/heyco/rubber-cable-grommets-11746-372384.html

And again, I'd say to call them and talk to a salesperson and have them suggest some options for you.

Grease,

Thanks for the input on the Liquid Tape......

Also, thanks for the links. I was considering a grommet for the assy.....

Will post a link to my writeup when I finish this thing.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,658
Why not use clear pipe?

Or one of those small, watertight, clear plastic cases they sell in the sporting goods section of your local big box store?

Or a small hobby electronics enclosure.

Or.....?

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
LoneStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
I'd also agree on the epoxy. You can use epoxies intended for electronics potting.

They will flow very well after you mix it up, so you can make just enough for what you'll need. Then draw it up in a syringe and place it just behind the LED. Bake it for a few hours, or just let sit for a couple of days.
LoneStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #11
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,046
I'd be worried about the gray pipe failing. I don't think that stuff is weather resistant, but I could be wrong.

I'd consider epoxying a red lens over the outside of both cutouts (or maybe one lens each), but leave a weep hole from the inside of the lens diameter to the interior of the pipe so moisture can escape. I'm assuming that all of the LEDs are red in this application--if not, substitute a lens color that matches the LED color.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #12
Digger1 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySniper View Post
Why not use clear pipe?

Or one of those small, watertight, clear plastic cases they sell in the sporting goods section of your local big box store?

Or a small hobby electronics enclosure.

Or.....?
I was wanting something like that during the planning stages of this project, but didn't know what exactly to look for.

Plus, it's for a KLR......so it's gotta be at least a little ugly.......
Old 11-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #13
Digger1 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStrom View Post
I'd also agree on the epoxy. You can use epoxies intended for electronics potting.

They will flow very well after you mix it up, so you can make just enough for what you'll need. Then draw it up in a syringe and place it just behind the LED. Bake it for a few hours, or just let sit for a couple of days.
Yep, I agree, epoxy's a good choice. I'll consider same if my primary plan doesn't work out (see below).

I won't be able to get anything behind the LEDs though, as things are kind of tight inside the pipe section I'm using for a housing.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #14
Digger1 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
I'd be worried about the gray pipe failing. I don't think that stuff is weather resistant, but I could be wrong.

I'd consider epoxying a red lens over the outside of both cutouts (or maybe one lens each), but leave a weep hole from the inside of the lens diameter to the interior of the pipe so moisture can escape. I'm assuming that all of the LEDs are red in this application--if not, substitute a lens color that matches the LED color.
troid,

The gray pipe is schedule 40 electrical conduit, 3/4" ID. It is UV resistant and rated for outdoor use, which was one of the reasons I chose it for a housing.

There will be a place for moisture to escape from the housing.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #15
Digger1 OP
Adventurer

Hey everyone, how's this for an idea:

Use Marine Goop as the sealant/adhesive.

I like this solution since I've already got some Marine Goop in the garage and have had good luck with it in the past. The only drawback is that it's kind of thick. However, I can thin it with some toluene (also in the garage). Then, I won't have to add to the pile of glues and other chemicals that I already have on hand and hardly ever use....

For everyone's information, I'll be posting a link to my writeup about this project as soon as said project is complete and the writeup is done.