Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #286
gore-tx OP
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie1 View Post
YES----They are discounting it. They won't even order one without a deposit because they say metric bikes just aren't selling. They have two new 2012 XR650L's on the floor for $6150. No paperwork, set-up or freight fees. Just sales tax which is 8.95%.
I may have to look toward your neck of the woods for a deal then.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #287
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I absolutely live the looks of this bike, and it is available without ABS. Yes, there's that nasty fuel injection, but I suppose I could live with it. But apparently Honda made the same mistake they keep making over and over again. They introduce an existing model into the U.S. market, one where the R&D and tooling are already mostly paid for, and then they overprice it to the point where it doesn't have a chance, no matter how desirable it might be. If I don't buy one, it WILL be because of the price. I was really hoping they would bring that bike here, then I find out they are, my palms get all sweaty, and then I hear the price. What a downer.

The ZRX did not look bad, most of what was wrong with it was because it was a late model. It was basically a copy of the 1983 KZ1000 Eddie Lawson Replica (which I consider a BEAUTIFUL bike) but it lacked that bikes character and vintage look. The liquid cooled engine just didn't cut it. I still wouldn't mind having one. As someone said, the prices are reasonable.
So you can remember when a spark plug cost 50 cents. Can you also remember that you made $1.50 per hour?

I've got some sad news for you - an MSRP of $9999 isn't expensive anymore for a large bore 4 cylinder street bike. The list of similarly sized bikes that are priced higher than the CB1100 is much larger than the list of similarly sized bikes that cost less.

Oh, almost forgot to mention the dealer called and said your new KLR is prepped and ready for you to take delivery, complete with the "property of Smith's Dairy" milk crate top case you asked for

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:20 AM   #288
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
So you can remember when a spark plug cost 50 cents. Can you also remember that you made $1.50 per hour?

HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #289
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Cb1100

OK how many of you out there are actually planning on purchasing one of these machines when they become available? I'm talking about not dreaming but actually making a purchase. I definately plan to get one when they are available.
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #290
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,095
Quote:
OK how many of you out there are actually planning on purchasing one of these machines when they become available? I'm talking about not dreaming but actually making a purchase. I definately plan to get one when they are available.
I'm buying three, just to to prove how dumb it is to complain about an 1100 cc 4 cylinder bike costing $9999.00.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #291
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 886
Hopefully this isnt too dumb a question. Can someone compare what they see in the new 1100 vs buying a 1200 harley sportster? Both are standards, are the weights and power ratios similar? Thanks.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #292
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrick View Post
Hopefully this isnt too dumb a question. Can someone compare what they see in the new 1100 vs buying a 1200 harley sportster? Both are standards, are the weights and power ratios similar? Thanks.
The only reason the 1100cc Honda has rearview mirrors, is to watch the 1200cc Sportsters get smaller, and smaller......
The Honda will have a pretty big HP advantage over the H-D.
Lyle
skysailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #293
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrick View Post
The Honda is considerably more powerful and lighter, so it will be quicker. But I don't think the performance differences are going to be significant compared to the dramatically different feel of the two bikes. The Honda is going to be relatively smooth, refined, upright, etc. and a great all-arounder you could use for virtually anything - commuting, touring, two-up riding, sport riding, etc. whereas Sportsters are elemental, crude, rough, nasty SOBs of bikes that are designed to for short-distances, cruising and looking cool.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #294
darmahman
"Illogically Deluded"

Oddometer: 2,818
1st in line here. Will get one w/ ABS. Sorry but I think it is spot on. Only wish they came in black w/ the chrome tank side covers.

Quote:
darmahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #295
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
The Honda is considerably more powerful and lighter, so it will be quicker. But I don't think the performance differences are going to be significant compared to the dramatically different feel of the two bikes. The Honda is going to be relatively smooth, refined, upright, etc. and a great all-arounder you could use for virtually anything - commuting, touring, two-up riding, sport riding, etc. whereas Sportsters are elemental, crude, rough, nasty SOBs of bikes that are designed to for short-distances, cruising and looking cool.

- Mark

You need to get out and try a modern Sporty if that is your impression of one. Seriously they are great riding bikes and will do anything asked of them. Both of mine have seen heavy solo touring, two-up touring, sporty riding in the mountains,lots of dirt, etc and both serve as my daily transportation. Sportsters are the epitome of a do everything kind of bike.

With a weight in the mid 500lb range and 87hp I don't see a huge advantage over the Sportster in the power to weight department. Honestly though I wouldn't purchase either of these bikes for raw performance. They make other bikes for that.

As an aside ,if Honda or Kawasaki would have imported the CB or the W 2 years ago I would probably only have one Sportster in the garage. Hopefully it's still in production when the time comes for a new bike. This bike is a gorgeous modern interpretation of the classic UJM. Kudos to Honda of America for bringing this bike to us and for keeping the price reasonable.

Anyone have any info on mpg estimates? I am curious what the range will be with only 3.9 gal of fuel capacity.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond

Ginger Beard screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 01:51 PM
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #296
gore-tx OP
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,253
Quote:
I am planning on buying one.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #297
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,481
Quote:
OK how many of you out there are actually planning on purchasing one of these machines when they become available?
um, I don't plan on buying one

I AM buying one

I got 5 months to sell one bike and scrape up another couple grand then it's a done deal
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #298
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,281
A sporty isn't a bad bike at all. I wish Harley would make something like a road king, but with better cornering clearance, better suspension, and costing around the same money as this new CB.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #299
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post

I've got some sad news for you - an MSRP of $9999 isn't expensive anymore for a large bore 4 cylinder street bike. The list of similarly sized bikes that are priced higher than the CB1100 is much larger than the list of similarly sized bikes that cost less.

Oh, almost forgot to mention the dealer called and said your new KLR is prepped and ready for you to take delivery, complete with the "property of Smith's Dairy" milk crate top case you asked for

I have an XT225 with a dairy crate on it, and love it. I had a KLR650 with a dairy crate on it, but found it too big and heavy for off road, and not comfortable for on road. If this bike really does cost '$9999, then yes I would be interested in it. It would mostly come down to what I could get it out the door for. In my state the sales tax would be $1000. If the dealer tried to tack on a couple thousand more in fees, it would be a no go. Other than that, it would basically come down to, would I be willing to give up my Goldwing for it. I am not a Goldwing fanatic, I bought it (used) as a comfortable long distance touring bike. But I am doing less and less long distance touring due to age and medical issues. Also, while this bike is a beauty, I wonder what it would be like to ride. That seat sure looks thin. Would it be something that you could at least ride a full day on once in a while without major pain?
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #300
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 943
Quote:
OK how many of you out there are actually planning on purchasing one of these machines when they become available? I'm talking about not dreaming but actually making a purchase.
Not planning on it..but I have been yammering about this very type of bike for a while now...so maybe
If one of the local shops will get one (yea right) so I can at least sit on it, I might be screwed.
I see they are offering his and hers versions..I would take the "his" version of course..
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote