Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #7996
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,128
Are there any 950SM riders on the front range in Colorado?
I have an experiment that I want to conduct, requiring a bike to be dropped off at a well known motorcycle business for fitting. The experiment could take a month or two, so looking for a rider, soon to be snowbound, not needing his bike for a few months.

Thanks!
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #7997
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Some details may help your cause...
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #7998
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
Regarding the SMT differing from the SM, is there more than a better seat, styling, and more fuel capacity? (Aside from the 950-990 aspect) because I'm still seeing SM's for 5grand vs 10-13gramd for an SMT.

If you haven't noticed I've missed my Katoom abit these days....
Seat - get the Seat Concepts seat on a 950 SM, it is betterr than the ridged seat on the 990 SMT.

I'm afraid I have also sinned but must be quicker than you because I have some regrets after only 2 weeks.

Two weeks ago I bought a low mileage 2011 Multistrada. Inspite of the price and exotic electronics it is going to take some tweeking to handle as good as the 950SM. I was a bit surprised. It also seems like any bike with EFI doesn't feel as good right off idle as does a well jetted set of carbs and the suspension is a bit too " comfortable". I still prefer things to be bit hard edged.

Forgive me Chroniclers, for I have sinned.

KHVol screwed with this post 11-16-2012 at 07:12 PM
KHVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #7999
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
'Tis better to have ridden a supermoto and sold it
Than to never have ridden one at all. -Tennyson I think

You didn't happen to score a Pike's Peak version did you?
Old 11-18-2012, 05:47 AM   #8000
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMoto View Post

You didn't happen to score a Pike's Peak version did you?
Nope, but thinking about making an El Cheapo PP - you can buy the decals.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #8001
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMoto View Post
I love it!
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #8002
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Did you get rid of the SM or just add the Multi? I'm guessing, given you're expressing some regret it's the former. I've eyed the Multi a few times, have yet to ride one enough to be tempted. I'm also interested in giving the new Hyper's a try once they show up. I seriously doubt I'd give up my SMR. May add something in months to come.

I just lost a friend a few weeks ago, he has/had a pristine Aprilia RSV Haga replica which may well come on the market. I haven't been tempted back onto a sport bike in some time but that Haga rep is a pretty sick bit of kit. It might be nice to buy and hang onto, even if I don't end up using it much.

Enjoy the Multi regardless, great bike.

NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
Seat - get the Seat Concepts seat on a 950 SM, it is betterr than the ridged seat on the 990 SMT.

I'm afraid I have also sinned but must be quicker than you because I have some regrets after only 2 weeks.

Two weeks ago I bought a low mileage 2011 Multistrada. Inspite of the price and exotic electronics it is going to take some tweeking to handle as good as the 950SM. I was a bit surprised. It also seems like any bike with EFI doesn't feel as good right off idle as does a well jetted set of carbs and the suspension is a bit too " comfortable". I still prefer things to be bit hard edged.

nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #8003
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900rider View Post
Some details may help your cause...
Yes, yes, details... No chance of keeping secrets here is there!

I am working with Woody's Wheel Works to develop a bolt-on spoke conversion kit for 950SM's. Zach just needs a bike to pull dimensions from and for final fitment. There's the details.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #8004
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post

I am working with Woody's Wheel Works to develop a bolt-on spoke conversion kit for 950SM's. Zach just needs a bike to pull dimensions from and for final fitment. There's the details.
Whoa! I have been thinking that it would be sweet to have a spoked 2nd wheel set for the instant conversion between road and off-road. Are you thinking same rim sizes and maintaining the double disk front?

natty- sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Besides his bike being a nice one, it would be cool if a friend were to be the one who rode it now.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #8005
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMoto
Whoa! I have been thinking that it would be sweet to have a spoked 2nd wheel set for the instant conversion between road and off-road. Are you thinking same rim sizes and maintaining the double disk front?

natty- sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Besides his bike being a nice one, it would be cool if a friend were to be the one who rode it now.
+1 to the sentiments.

Sheeewt, I'll read downline a bit before posting next time! Khvol, I don't see the sin in getting, what is, on its face, the 1200cc "bigbrother" to a 950SM. I got to meet one last week and they is purdy machines! Glad to see the KTM stayed in the "family", so it can go out on rides w/ya still.

The idea for Woody's: have a 950SM ready hub set, with spacers, for adaptable brake rotors and sprockets, and just lace a customer spec'd size rim, for the order. Zach has a lacing method that adds clearance between the spokes and rotors, for the front end. Looks tough as nails, too!

snowhawk jockey screwed with this post 11-18-2012 at 02:04 PM
Old 11-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #8006
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyMo View Post
Did you get rid of the SM or just add the Multi? I'm guessing, given you're expressing some regret it's the former. I've eyed the Multi a few times, have yet to ride one enough to be tempted. I'm also interested in giving the new Hyper's a try once they show up. I seriously doubt I'd give up my SMR. May add something in months to come.

I just lost a friend a few weeks ago, he has/had a pristine Aprilia RSV Haga replica which may well come on the market. I haven't been tempted back onto a sport bike in some time but that Haga rep is a pretty sick bit of kit. It might be nice to buy and hang onto, even if I don't end up using it much.

NM
Unfortunately I sold it, fortunately it was to a good friend. After selling it , I am convinced the 950 SM is the best all around bike you can have. Especially for the money.

The Multi is actually very similar to the 950 SM, about same weight, wheel base , seat height, seating configuration, 1/2 degree difference in steering angle. Does have a lot more HP, which really isn't needed, wider seat and some more wind protection. The engine is definitely nice, electronics are pretty elaborate, good lighting, suspension is much softer than I like but that can be fixed. I guess I traded because I hope to be doing more and longer road trips, which may or may not happen. Never had the first problem with my 950 SM in 6 years of ownership, may regret letting the 950 go.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #8007
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyMo View Post

NM
Sorry about the loss of your friend, Natty.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #8008
rw4x4van
East Coast Rider

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post

..like this

KTM 950SM with 17_19 spoke wheels

'98 KTM 620 RXC
'07 KTM 300 XCW
rw4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #8009
iammemares
Gnarly Adventurer

WOW it has been a while

great to see the awesome community here keeps going in support of the SM.

I too am in a position that I am considering selling my prized SMR. 07, lots of goodies and perfect. Never down. About 10K miles and like new.

I dont want to violate the forum rules but am interested in some feedback about the SMR market and value. Are they selling and at about what price? Is it acceptable to list the content of my bike and ask for feedback on value? Does this forum or EBAY tend to be more successful with the niche SMR?

I am sad to have to consider selling the my SMR. It has easily been the best of the many many bikes I have owned. Some day maybe another I will have.

Thanks all. Mark
iammemares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #8010
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw4x4van View Post
..like this

Now you can't tease us with that and not give us details! That's just evil! What are your rim and tire sizes and are those stock diameter front disks? Does the rear sprocket use the stock damper drive or is it solidly bolted? Any problems if it is solidly bolted? What hubs and who built 'em?

Iammemares - what have you been up to?