Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #481
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,487
I've been wanting to hit the D&D ever since I heard about it. Looking forward to the write up
Old 11-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #482
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,395
got to the D&D Brewery late in the day and in the rain, on a good day it would have been a great ride by Lake Yojoa, cause of the rain no photos...

the brewery is North of the lake reasonably easy to find, once past the gates

and down past the small pool

it was kind of just like hanging out in someones backyard, i kind of expected a little more, nothing bad to say, the beers were OK, just OK nothing special, food was average and the room was too. we parked the bikes right outside

there is a friendly kitten living there...

two other riders were staying, a dutch/ english guy on a V Strom and Ben an American on one of the most overloaded GSA's i have seen in while with Jesse's largest bags (150 liters i think), top box, tank side bags, (tank bag and holdall - not shown) and he is planning to ride every country in south america i foresee Ruta 40 will take its toll with all that weight

if you are into bird watching and a small hike then this place might be for you, Dylan and i agreed that it couldn't keep us occupied for two days, which we had planned.

so this morning we had the 'world famous blueberry pancakes' and headed out in the rain
rtwpaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #483
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Border crossing Honduras into Nicaragua

i have just finished writing a Central America Border Crossing Guide.. "A step by step guide for crossing the notoriously difficult Central America borders, showing pictures of buildings, paperwork, fees, tips...with this book you find your way south a breeze".

Hardback, softback and PDF version HERE

ebook for all Apple products ibooks ipad format HERE

waking up to heavier rain than you feel asleep to is not the best way to start the ride, most of the remainder of Honduras was wet almost the whole way to the border...the plan was to stop in Danli but we got there at noon and decided to head for the border after getting thru Tegucigalpa with no problems beside a cop wanting to stop us just to say hello

we headed down the road and not five minutes later there was a stopped bus, Dylan went around it and crossed the yellow line and four cops jumped out to stop him...its shakedown time

of course no spanish came out of either of our mouths from this point forward, but between we understand more than enough

so it went like this...

them - you crossed the line

us - no i didn't

them - do you speak spanish

us - no fumar espanol

them - que!!!!

us - no fumar espanol

them - gringos es stupido

them - whats in that bag

us - stuff

them - let me see, OK close the bag

them - (turning to his superior) how are we going to get money out of them if they don't understand us

us - at this point i'm laughing at them and telling Dylan to enjoy his first shakedown, put his helmet back on as this isn't going any further

Dylan gets his paperwork back

the four cops lean back against the car to wait for the next sucker who speaks spanish and has a full wallet

us - seeya!!!

as we ride off the roads in Nica are way better than Honduras, better scenery, cleaner everywhere so we stop in Esteli and find a small hotel that Sjoerd Bakker recommended for $18 with secure parking

rtwpaul screwed with this post 04-04-2014 at 01:21 PM
Old 11-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #484
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
I've been wanting to hit the D&D ever since I heard about it. Looking forward to the write up

hope i didn't burst your bubble on this...really not much to say at all, i have been to a lot of breweries, large and small over the years in lots of different countries and this really didn't stand out from a beer point of view or location...its a shame because only a few miles away the views are amazing next to the lake, the place is 350 yards down a dirt road at the end of small town that has very little going on - its kind of strange, not what i was expecting at all - and beer was about $2 for half a pint
Old 11-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #485
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

rolling thru Nicaragua from Esteli heading to Leon the altitude dropped and the heat rose, farming looked very organized

the land flattened out besides the few volcanoes dotting the horizon

dylan got a bug up his ass to do some off road when we had some of the best pavement i had seen in weeks

we rolled into Leon just in time for the big screw cap checkers game

and spotted the biggest single cylinder ever (maybe, well fins for sure)

Dylan was working hard to impress the local ladies

and i found a clock that tells time perfectly for an adventure rider...

sadly they are working on the main square so no real good photos of the Cathedral, or as it is also known Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption of León...sadly it was closed and appears to be having work done around it, the main square was closed off...what we didn't get to see inside under its arches, in their crypts designed to withstand earthquakes , lie the remains of 27 people, including 10 bishops, five priests, a hero of independence, three poets, a musician, six notables and a slave.

there is a Russian influence in some of the buildings, what looked like it could just have been a balcony could also double as a watch tower for some with a Kalashnikov rifle?

and how about this for a complete architectural failure...

the real Leon is quaint but seedy, old signs fr building that not longer remain are still firmly planted

life here seems to run at a very relaxed pace which is perfect for us that don't know the day or the time and honestly really care

...but what Leon does have is probably one of the largest populations of manequins per capita that i have ever seen

just couldn't seem to find the real life version anywhere in town

rtwpaul, out....
Old 11-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #486
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
hope i didn't burst your bubble on this...really not much to say at all, i have been to a lot of breweries, large and small over the years in lots of different countries and this really didn't stand out from a beer point of view or location...its a shame because only a few miles away the views are amazing next to the lake, the place is 350 yards down a dirt road at the end of small town that has very little going on - its kind of strange, not what i was expecting at all - and beer was about $2 for half a pint
What kind of beer do you like? There are a few breweries here that we might be able to hit up, but all of them brew beers that are slightly "hoppy" to me. If you like highly hopped beers like an IPA, or Ambers/Ales with a bit if hop bite then you're set.

If you're like me and prefer richer flavored non-bitter beer then you're kind of out of luck.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #487
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,255
Best RR in ages!

2007 KTM Adventure 990
HD Road King (SOLD! Now get off my back Junac and McCadders)
Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #488
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
What kind of beer do you like? There are a few breweries here that we might be able to hit up, but all of them brew beers that are slightly "hoppy" to me. If you like highly hopped beers like an IPA, or Ambers/Ales with a bit if hop bite then you're set.

If you're like me and prefer richer flavored non-bitter beer then you're kind of out of luck.

best thing is to try them all then make a decision...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol View Post
Best RR in ages!
thanks dude...took a while to reconnect as i've been on a private beach in Nicaragua for a week with no internet...very cool

*************i'll add to this report when i get a good connection in a few days

Old 11-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #489
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

had an extra day in leon and went to eat with the locals

all this for about $1.50

and hows this for surroundings????

and here's the kitchen

decided to do a little James Bond language lesson in the afternoon, English with Spanish subtitles...now i'm really confused, as i read along as listened and they were totally different

the following morning it was time to roll out of this secure area

Old 11-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #490
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 494
I have seen hundreds of photographs of bikes parked in "secure areas" and have always wondered how you do that without cracking those tile floors?
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTec Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #491
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
I have seen hundreds of photographs of bikes parked in "secure areas" and have always wondered how you do that without cracking those tile floors?
i guess the tile is a lot thicker down here...i tested it out good and proper as well as i had my back wheel off, while i was doing some work on my cush drive, so maximum weight on the center stand and not an issue...

this place (viavia cafe) we had to ride thru the restaurant so if i guess they are not bothered about the diners they're sure not bothered about a bit of tile
Old 11-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #492
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

riding out of Leon and deeper into Nicaragua, the roads to this point had been perfect, the weather was getting a little warmer, actually doesn't bother me at all after living in Vegas for 12 years but Dylan was looking for shade every time we stopped but with this temporary roadblock the was none

right after the cows the road turned and it was pothole city for about 40 miles

we had a riding debate which side gave the best traction as the pavement just plain sucked

cresting a hill gave a good view of the shit road to ride on for miles and miles more...

did a quick stop at the Volcano in Masaya, i guess i have been spoiled by other volcanoes in the past, i was off the coast of Monseratt, in the caribbean in the late 90's when it was erupting whilst a total eclipse of the sun was happening and it went dark at midday as the volcano was going off in the background...also i was in Hawaii watching molten magma roll into the ocean and make Hawaii bigger

so into Masaya volcano, it had gone off quite recently so it was still smoking so most areas were off limits, shame

on the ride back thru managua Dylan spotted a car wash and suggested we wash our dirty bikes, mine really needed it, we had four guys working on two bikes for over an hour and were charged $1.60, when the bikes were done they looked new, i was amazed how much they seemed to care about what they were doing, they certainly did a much better job than i would have done. To give you an idea if this means anything to you, bikes would have passed inspection to get into Australia

on what looked like new shiny bikes we headed off to inmate 'Salcar' to stay at his place...now get this, he is not even in the country and he let us stay at his place...cannot thank you enough for that, it was perfect, happy travels in the Bali, Salvador

rtwpaul screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 07:57 PM
Old 11-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #493
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

from Salcars house rode to Granada because i haven't been there before...wrong...as soon as i got there in the main square i recognized the place, doh!

when you've been to about 70 countries sometimes you forget a place or two anyhow its still a cool place for a second visit

riding out of there it was time to play avoid the falling sugar cane all over the roads, and this beast was the reason why

then down a side road that turned to dirt almost straight away

Old 11-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #494
Habibi Rocks
Banned

Oddometer: 58
Keep those pics coming !!!!!!!!!!! The food pics are great.
Habibi Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #495
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

so looking at map, the idea was to head to San Juan Del Sur, as it was close to the border to be able to arrive really early, you know the Nica/ Costa Rica Pan American crossing the one everyone hates the most, as basically its the only real crossing for vehicles (more on that in the next post)

so anyhow looking at the google map i click a little above (read north) of SJDS and it zooms into here if you get close enough up pops camping matildas, about 6 bays up from SJDS

so the theory here is if its no good then there are loads of places a few km's south just of here to try, lets head down that sandy road

go along with a tall yellow wall along your right side

when it looks like it dead ends make a right, down here

then it looks like it dead ends again now make a left and you'll see this, park your bike by the gate on the right and walk onto the beach, thats where the entrance is

but before you go thru this gate you will look at the view for quiet a while, and this was the busiest i ever saw this beach except at sunset

this is the real coordinates, there is no address

if bird watching or surfing (5 minute walk to the next bay) is your thing this could be your place

the sunsets here are amazing, even the local dogs come out to see them every night, seriously

this place was so relaxing, secure parking behind a locked gate...no wifi..$6, $8 or $15 a night depending how much privacy you want...i stayed a week, and for sure will come back Sjoerd Bakker if your are reading add it to the list for next years book