Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #10786
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
I'm planning on using this crossing in late January. Will get my TVIP and FMM here before heading south down Baja to la Paz then taking the ferry to Mazatlan.

Looking for info on parking lot security and how busy this crossing might be. If nobody has any info I'll post a report later
Its easy and safe; everything all together with safe parking.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #10787
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Its easy and safe; everything all together with safe parking.

thanks
Old 11-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #10788
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Maybe you are there and gone already. I have stayed at Quintas Papagayo just north of town a few times. I was with a group and they had large rooms. Don't know if they are still there or what they might have for a single. Looked 'em up... they are definitely still there. Corrected spelling above.
Thanks! I found one - the Sahara, seems OK, $33 and about a 10 minute walk to the main drag. I checked out the Cortez but too pricey for me.

When are you coming down?
Old 11-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #10789
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
immigration in Ensenada?

So I crossed the border at Tecate today. It was super easy, just rode straight through the US side and immediately was in town. Where the hell is Mexican immigration? I saw nothing that looked like an immigration office immediately after crossing. I'd read somewhere that at some crossings the Mexican offices are some way inside the border, so I figured that must be the case here too, so hit the road to Ensenada. Turns out it was TOO easy, I met a Swiss couple here on an Africa Twin, who had found the immigration office in Tecate. They said the only way they found it was a soldier was standing out the front. I was expecting a gate or something, so I must have blown straight past.

I'm on an Australian passport, so I do need a visa, as well as the TVIP - can anyone confirm that it's ok to get both of these at the immigration office in Ensenada? I don't want them to get pissed off with me for being in the country without a visa!

Alternatively I go back to Tecate and pretend I just arrived...

Thanks
Old 11-17-2012, 12:59 AM   #10790
norschweger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
finally on my way towards Mexico

Hi folks!
After some months of "detours" : ) all over BC, Yukon and Alaska I am now in Colorado and thinking about the further way towards South America. I would love to read all this thread about Mexico but I have to sleep sometimes : ).
My questions to you experienced fellows:
-which direction should I aim at, considering border crossing and places to go to?
-the TVIP: my bike is registred in Canada, using the adress of friends, but I am German. I do have the Canadian insurance papers with my name and the mentioned Canadian adress, but no title (maybe it is at my friends`place by now- I will ask). Could that be a problem?
-this insurance expires in december. Does that play any role considering that I want to get a Mexican one anyway?
any suggestions which one to take?

I am looking forward to any helpful answers!
Thanks a lot!
Toby
norschweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:11 AM   #10791
airdale7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by norschweger View Post
Hi folks!
After some months of "detours" : ) all over BC, Yukon and Alaska I am now in Colorado and thinking about the further way towards South America. I would love to read all this thread about Mexico but I have to sleep sometimes : ).
My questions to you experienced fellows:
-which direction should I aim at, considering border crossing and places to go to?
-the TVIP: my bike is registred in Canada, using the adress of friends, but I am German. I do have the Canadian insurance papers with my name and the mentioned Canadian adress, but no title (maybe it is at my friends`place by now- I will ask). Could that be a problem?
-this insurance expires in december. Does that play any role considering that I want to get a Mexican one anyway?
any suggestions which one to take?

I am looking forward to any helpful answers!
Thanks a lot!
Toby
Consider the Central or Pacific coast routes. Probably central is more scenic with Copper Canyon. Best to have title and Mexico insurance in hand when you cross.
Have a safe ride.

Every day is a new adventure!
airdale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:51 AM   #10792
airdale7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Photobucket

Anyone else having trouble with photobucket? I cant get to the download and the recent activity has a wheel that just keeps spinning.

Every day is a new adventure!
airdale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #10793
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,285
Synthetic oil is available all over Mexico in the modern autoparts stores
like Autozone et al, at Soriana, Walmart and many of the small Tiendas de
Autopartes . Just look around if you must have it. Not sold at barrel gas
suppliers

Norschweger, you may not have a "title" if the bike is registered in Canada . "TITLE" is a USA peculiarity.
The Canadian provincial vehicle registries (Ontario is my example) only issue an "ownership and registration" which is your proof that you have the rights to the bike and are allowed to use it legally without worries about being charged with having a stolen vehicle . This is all I have ever required to travel through Mexico and Central America
Nowhere was I ever asked to show Canadian insurance papers, they are worthless in Mexico and beyond and have no use for proving ownership.
The IMPORTANT thing is to have the same name on your Passport, your Drivers License , the motorcycle ownership and registration and your CREDIT CARD.
Your Canadian insurance is valid in the USA up to the date it expires. If the cops stop you after that date in the USA you may have a problem in states where liability insurance is compulsory .
You must buy liability for MEXICO before you cross the border.It is sold at many points in the US and it comes in a variety of types.
You can buy LIABILITY for a short trip of known time duration which lists yourname and the motorcycle VIN
This gets pricy for long durations.
You can buy "Drivers License " (DL) insurance for public liability which lists your name and drivers license number only and gives you the choice of taking a car or a bike into Mexico under the same policy.You can buy this for a FULL YEAR at a price which is less than a month for the VIN dedicated insurance.
There are varous sources for the DL insurance some cost less than others but some also will not cover motorcycles ,so investigate.

I just renewed my own DL policy for an entire year yesterday after being re-assured that it does cover bikes. For the grand sum of $163.60 I have coverage of $100 000 for liability, $50 000 for legal assistance and Travel Assistance in case of accident and mechanical breakdown where the vehicle is inoperable.My source is MexUS Insurance Services ,Inc easily found on the web.
In a single year I make a car trip and one or two motorcycle trips ,sometimes on two different bikes , and I am covered all the time by the single DL policy
If you are planning on spending more than 34 days traversing and enjoying Mexico this DL package is all you need and a money saver.
Of course fire theft and catastrophic loss of the bike are not included in this price. Most insurance companies shy away from this comprehensive insurance for bikes , or if offered they will ask a fortune. You can live with the risk if you ride sensibly and keep an eye on the bike, park in secure areas etc etc.

Sjoerd Bakker screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 10:50 AM
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #10794
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Visa/TVIP

Don't know about the Visa but you are good with no TVIP as long as you are in Baja. I have heard from other RR's that you can get the TVIP in La Paz before you board the ferry for the mainland. Prolly otta get visa taken care of pretty soon.
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #10795
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Insurance

Sjoerd Priceless info on insurance.

Norschweger: radioman reported that he had to show the original title to his bike when he went into, Bolivia I think. If you are planning to head farther south it looks like you need to have some kind of original ownership certificate with all of the provisos mentioned by Sjoerd. I have been told that, for US Americans, we need to show only the original vehicle registration. I am not clear about why these countries want you to have the original title. If I wanted to try to sell my vehicle in CA or SA I would have to have the title. If they don't want me to try to sell the vehicle why do they require me to carry the document I need to do so? Just wondering.
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #10796
norschweger
Gnarly Adventurer

WOW! Thanks a lot for this detailed info! I really appreciate that a lot!
Do you have a scandinavian background,btw? (your name)
Sounds all good!

Norschweger, you may not have a "title" if the bike is registered in Canada . "TITLE" is a USA peculiarity.
The Canadian provincial vehicle registries (Ontario is my example) only issue an "ownership and registration" which is your proof that you have the rights to the bike and are allowed to use it legally without worries about being charged with having a stolen vehicle . This is all I have ever required to travel through Mexico and Central America
Nowhere was I ever asked to show Canadian insurance papers, they are worthless in Mexico and beyond and have no use for proving ownership.
The IMPORTANT thing is to have the same name on your Passport, your Drivers License , the motorcycle ownership and registration and your CREDIT CARD.
Your Canadian insurance is valid in the USA up to the date it expires. If the cops stop you after that date in the USA you may have a problem in states where liability insurance is compulsory .
You must buy liability for MEXICO before you cross the border.It is sold at many points in the US and it comes in a variety of types.
You can buy LIABILITY for a short trip of known time duration which lists yourname and the motorcycle VIN
This gets pricy for long durations.
You can buy "Drivers License " (DL) insurance for public liability which lists your name and drivers license number only and gives you the choice of taking a car or a bike into Mexico under the same policy.You can buy this for a FULL YEAR at a price which is less than a month for the VIN dedicated insurance.
There are varous sources for the DL insurance some cost less than others but some also will not cover motorcycles ,so investigate.

I just renewed my own DL policy for an entire year yesterday after being re-assured that it does cover bikes. For the grand sum of $163.60 I have coverage of $100 000 for liability, $50 000 for legal assistance and Travel Assistance in case of accident and mechanical breakdown where the vehicle is inoperable.My source is MexUS Insurance Services ,Inc easily found on the web.
In a single year I make a car trip and one or two motorcycle trips ,sometimes on two different bikes , and I am covered all the time by the single DL policy
If you are planning on spending more than 34 days traversing and enjoying Mexico this DL package is all you need and a money saver.
Of course fire theft and catastrophic loss of the bike are not included in this price. Most insurance companies shy away from this comprehensive insurance for bikes , or if offered they will ask a fortune. You can live with the risk if you ride sensibly and keep an eye on the bike, park in secure areas etc etc.[/QUOTE]
Old 11-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #10797
norschweger
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=rockymountainoyster;20064707]Sjoerd Priceless info on insurance.

Norschweger: radioman reported that he had to show the original title to his bike when he went into, Bolivia I think. If you are planning to head farther south it looks like you need to have some kind of original ownership certificate with all of the provisos mentioned by Sjoerd. I have been told that, for US Americans, we need to show only the original vehicle registration. I am not clear about why these countries want you to have the original title. If I wanted to try to sell my vehicle in CA or SA I would have to have the title.Q If they don't want me to try to sell the vehicle why do they require me to carry the document I need to do so? Just wondering.[/UOTE]

So, obviously there is nothing like a real title in Canada!? I do have the Owner´s Certificate of Insurance and Vehicle Licence with the Vehicle Registration on the same page. My name on it, but as mentioned, the adress of friends in BC. Unfortunately, as they did not have the special letter for two s (ß), my last name is spelled with two s on that paper, whereas my passport shows the ß. My credit card shows two s as well though, so I guess it will be fine.

If they don't want me to try to sell the vehicle why do they require me to carry the document I need to do so? Just wondering.[/ got a point there : )

norschweger screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 01:05 PM
Old 11-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #10798
operaflute
Starving Artist

Oddometer: 137
Carrying vehicle title with you

I hate the idea of having my title anywhere near my vehicle. Should it get into someone else's hands, it sure would make it easy for someone to sign my vehicle over to himself!
Old 11-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #10799
norschweger
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale74451 View Post
Consider the Central or Pacific coast routes. Probably central is more scenic with Copper Canyon. Best to have title and Mexico insurance in hand when you cross.
Have a safe ride.
It will be the central part, just received a link from nice hotel owners...
Thank you!
Old 11-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #10800
Snownut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaflute View Post
I hate the idea of having my title anywhere near my vehicle. Should it get into someone else's hands, it sure would make it easy for someone to sign my vehicle over to himself!
I was worried about the same issue but have come to the conclusion unless I sign the title over to a new owner it would still be classified as theft.. From what I understand a signed registration will suffice in almost any situation. I figure I will pack the title somewhere safe and only pull it out if specifically asked for it.
Snownut is offline   Reply With Quote