Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #31
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by valvecrusher View Post
for comparision to above IRC....

Kenda K270.............................................. ..............Shinko 244

Kenda^^^^^^^^..................................... .............SHinko^^^^^^^

IIRC, of Kenda, Shinko, or IRC, one of the three of these has a softer rubber compound and feel squirelly on the road. I think it was the Kenda. The harder one wears better too. If I'm not mistaken it's the IRC that's the better tire of this pattern. Which BTW isn't supposed be all that great on or off pavement. And they aren't cheap like a shinko either.

Also seems to me that they are for sub-650 bikes or they shred pretty fast and just don't provide enough traction. Max size is a 4.60-18 which is fine for anything sub-650. I always wanted to try one on the TE630 but always opt for a more dirt-oriented tire. That bike isn't that great on the hiway anyway, much preferring dirt roads and trails. I will truck it if it's over a hundred or more miles so knobs suit better.

For a guy commuting or mostly road I would still recommend the M41/40 or 705, and frankly, the FB's are a nicer tire, especially the large rear radial with V-rating.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:33 AM   #32
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
So you're a fan of the 761's? Most of the reviews I read on here were negative, especially with regards to performance in wet weather and we're heading into wintertime...
ran a rear on a dr650 & got the best mileage vs. shinko 705 & a couple others. now i have 761s on both my bikes' front wheels, soon to be rear on the dr350. its a meatier tread for commuting.
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #33
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,357
About time for a new rear tire and have been pretty happy with the Shinko 705 front, so was going to order a rear. Does anyone have any actual dimensions for the 140/80/17 and 150/70/17? Can't find any specs anywhere online.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:14 PM   #34
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
...have been pretty happy with the Shinko 705,... Does anyone have any actual dimensions for the 140/80/17...
Ask and you shall receive my friend.

Here is a new Shinko 705 in a 140/80-17 mounted on my DR650 with a 2.5" wide rear wheel.

The width of the tire is 5.5" as mounted.

The height of the sidewall is 4.25" from the bead of the rim to the crown of the tire at the very top. These figures are actual, as-mounted on my bike.

I hope that helps you out. I'm not sure if the pictures show it, but this is a "meaty" tire for the rear of the DR for a street-oriented tire. I like this size of tire because it, IMO, evens out the asthetics of the tires front rear with the large 21" front and much smaller 17" rear

VooDooDaddy screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 12:34 AM
VooDooDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #35
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Thanks. An overall diameter might be a little easier to measure than height from the rim though. Running the numbers on a metric tire converter, looks like the 150/70 is about a 1/4" fatter and a little bit shorter. Can anyone confirm that?
Old 03-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #36
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
the 150/70 is about a 1/4" fatter and a little bit shorter. Can anyone confirm that?
If you are using a rim like what's on my DR (2.5" width) I wouldn't advise using a 150/70-17. I think the 140/80 is pushing it, as in the rim draws the bead of the tire in pretty far, and makes the tire's contact patch a little more rounded than it probably is intended to be?

As far as diameter goes; 140mm is 5.51 inches. 150mm is 5.9 inches.

5.51 X .80 (aspect ratio) = 4.4 inch sidewall

5.90 x .70 (aspect ratio)= 4.13 inch sidewall

17" rim with 8.8 inches of sidewall (top/bottom) gives the diameter of the wheel/tire combo.
VooDooDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #37
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
IIRC, of Kenda, Shinko, or IRC, one of the three of these has a softer rubber compound and feel squirelly on the road. I think it was the Kenda. The harder one wears better too. If I'm not mistaken it's the IRC that's the better tire of this pattern. Which BTW isn't supposed be all that great on or off pavement. And they aren't cheap like a shinko either.
Youi are right the kendas were the squirly ones on pavement. Not sure if it was due to softer rubber. But the pugs are much smaller. Compare the two, shinko/kenda side by side and you will notice that the kenda has much larger voids and smaller knobs. Better in the dirt but worse on the pavement.
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #38
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooDaddy View Post
If you are using a rim like what's on my DR (2.5" width) I wouldn't advise using a 150/70-17. I think the 140/80 is pushing it, as in the rim draws the bead of the tire in pretty far, and makes the tire's contact patch a little more rounded than it probably is intended to be?

As far as diameter goes; 140mm is 5.51 inches. 150mm is 5.9 inches.

5.51 X .80 (aspect ratio) = 4.4 inch sidewall

5.90 x .70 (aspect ratio)= 4.13 inch sidewall

17" rim with 8.8 inches of sidewall (top/bottom) gives the diameter of the wheel/tire combo.
Thanks. I understand how the tire size thing works, but a lot of tires deviate from their stated sizes. That's why I was asking about actual measurements. And I'm mounting these tires on a set of dedicated street wheels with a 4.25 rim on the back. Have a 150/70 on there right now, but would prefer something a little bit taller (gearing). Narrower wouldn't be a bad thing either. And the 140 is about $30 cheaper. Ah, but I didn't think about that rim actually being too wide for a 140/80.

jesusgatos screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 12:10 PM