Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #16
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
So what was your after race sag #? IIRC it was only 1" before?

Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #17
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
the same. about an inch. the leverage ratio change would be very little because the angle if the shock is about the same. the relationship of travel to shock movement is therefore the same. The only change is the angle of the rear swingarm and with that being more level on paper you should feel a difference in the sensitivity of the rear shock. However in the real world I don't think i can thell much difference.
ggamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #18
gregitt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Thanks again for this Thread! Today, a Swiss friend and I (mostly him) followed your detailed procedure and everything turned out just as you said.

I was having lots of problems getting on and off the bike especially after spraining my left ankle. Many rural roads here in Thailand have a strong crown, so if you stop on the left the bike leans so far over it tries to fall on you when getting off and on (I am old) have short legs (30") and I carry a rear bag for raingear and cameras etc

The bike seemed a little stiffer in the rear and front as I rode it home today...perhaps it shortens the wheel base just a tad, but it was raining and slippery so I couldn't really get it on....I will say, it handles well...and tomorrow if not pouring, I will take it for a spin up the big hill to Phu Rua.

I really like the idea the bike can be set back easily....

Appreciate it!
gregitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #19
toypro1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
very nice write up, thanks for taking the time to put this together.

Dan
GL 1800
1200s Bandit sold
DRZ 400E Plated sold
FJ 1200 gave to son
toypro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #20
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggamster View Post
Yes it does. However it is all the way backed off from the factory. No reducing the preload. Only increasing. I don't know what weight they want the bike to be set up for but with 190lbs on it I only get about 10% sag and none in the front.
This was not my experience when removing my shock to increase the preload... the locking collars were about in the middle of the adjustment range. Not saying yer wrong .. just saying mine was different.

There really isn't much adjustment available, however. You can see that below ... this was taken after increasing the preload to the max available. Neglected to take a before picture.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #21
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
This was not my experience when removing my shock to increase the preload... the locking collars were about in the middle of the adjustment range. Not saying yer wrong .. just saying mine was different.

There really isn't much adjustment available, however. You can see that below ... this was taken after increasing the preload to the max available. Neglected to take a before picture.
Yes, that is quite a lot different. Not sure why that would be???? But not big deal just different. I think it is odd how little adjustment there is.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:06 AM   #22
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Update

Just to let everyone know we have been riding this bike for quite a while now and my wife surprisingly is riding mostly off road and is close to 700 trial miles on the bike. She had done some 2' drops, hill climbs (kind of), deep creek crossings, and some deep mud. The mod is fine and we still have noticed no negative effects of the mod.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:35 PM   #23
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveller

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Just to let everyone know we have been riding this bike for quite a while now and my wife surprisingly is riding mostly off road and is close to 700 trial miles on the bike. She had done some 2' drops, hill climbs (kind of), deep creek crossings, and some deep mud. The mod is fine and we still have noticed no negative effects of the mod.
Great thread... Thanks for the write up!

2012 Suzuki V-Strom-ADV, 2011 Kawasaki Versys, 2008 Yamaha TW200, 2013 Honda CRF250L

I'm never lost... Because I'm always right where I'm at...
Kankujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:32 AM   #24
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Eek

Updated further down page.

Check your design parameters...

Stock rear wheel travel is 9.4".

Yet you lowered it 3" in the back and left only 8.25" for suspension travel ???

Stock ground clearance is 10". Stock seat height is 34.75.

After your lowering the seat height is 32.75"

That would leave 8" of ground clearance.

I hope you bought a skidplate .

Hopefully other inmates read the updated post so they don't get injured....

MentalGuru screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 07:12 PM
MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:50 AM   #25
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Thumbs down

Quote:
There are no noticable negative effects. It feels just the same. If I were real picky I think the suspension may work a bit better on the small coppy stuff lowered due to the angle of the rear swing arm. It rides great.

Try again...

With a 1" front drop and a 3" rear drop the handling will be slow, the front end will want to wash out easier.

The frame will bottom out on the ground before the suspension bottoms out.

This can injure you and damage the bike.

It seems smoother on small chop bumps because of the increased chopperish rake and the decreased swing arm angle.

Ride improvement - Yes.

Handling improvement - No

See update further down the page!!!

MentalGuru screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 07:14 PM
Old 11-17-2012, 07:02 AM   #26
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
Try again...

With a 1" front drop and a 3" rear drop the handling will be slow, the front end will want to wash out easier.

The frame will bottom out on the ground before the suspension bottoms out.

This can injure you and damage the bike.

It seems smoother on small chop bumps because of the increased chopperish rake and the decreased swing arm angle.

Ride improvement - Yes.

Handling improvement - No

Safety - BIG TIME FAILURE...

Settle down, dude.

The OP did this for his wife. If the rider this mod is intended for never intends to go off road then there's no harm.

I agree that there'll be trouble if a bike with this mod is ridden hard off road. And there are other mods that can be done to shorten the travel if you really wanted to lower this bike for an off-road rider.

Your warning is well meaning, but a bit over the top.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:21 AM   #27
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I am so sick of you fucks that act like you know everything! Have you riden my mother fucking bike? Do you even own this model? Have you done the mod? Then stay the fuck off my post! I have riden this bike and it does quite well for the pos it is! Any time you lower the back of the bike more than the front you change the geometry. It is not my mod that does this it is lowering in general. Maybe you would suggest foot implants for my wife or a dr200 that won't go 55 for her to be on the highway with. Would that be safer.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:55 AM   #28
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
Settle down, dude.

The OP did this for his wife. If the rider this mod is intended for never intends to go off road then there's no harm.

I agree that there'll be trouble if a bike with this mod is ridden hard off road. And there are other mods that can be done to shorten the travel if you really wanted to lower this bike for an off-road rider.

Your warning is well meaning, but a bit over the top.

I call it like I see it. This mod is not safe.

I would never do this mod for anybody, but for a family member, thats even worse.

If the bike is never intended to be ridden then there is no harm with this mod.

The only safe way to lower a CRF250L's suspension is to shorten the suspension travel the same amount you lower the bike.

See update further down the page!!!

Since the shock is not rebuildable it will need replacement.

Even on the street this mod is dangerous. Having the frame hit while turning into a parking lot is a definate possibiliy. Thats just one of the many risks.

Having almost 2" more suspension travel then ground clearance is very dangerous. No ifs, ands, or buts about it...

This mod requires "Disclaimer's" and "Warnings" .

A mod should never add this type of design flaw and risk. It could cost a life.

I would rather way be over the top then see a person injured from an unsafe mod that didn't even warn about the serious risks and flaws it adds.

Thats all for now.

MentalGuru screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 07:15 PM
Old 11-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #29
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
I am so sick of you fucks that act like you know everything! Have you riden my mother fucking bike? Do you even own this model? Have you done the mod? Then stay the fuck off my post! I have riden this bike and it does quite well for the pos it is! Any time you lower the back of the bike more than the front you change the geometry. It is not my mod that does this it is lowering in general. Maybe you would suggest foot implants for my wife or a dr200 that won't go 55 for her to be on the highway with. Would that be safer.

No I have not ridden your bike nor would I knowing this has been done.

I have ridden a CRF250L but do not own one.

That is not the issue. Safety is. This mod is unsafe, plain and simple.

I would suggest lowering the bike properly and safely.

I wonder what your wife would think if she had all the info in front of her.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #30
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
MentalGuru must be the asshole who plasters warning stickers on every flat surface of new motorcycles.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote