Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #31
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I used to miss shifts during speed shifting my 1969 Daytona, since the trans was worse then most tractors/trucks/Russiaan bikes.
Full throttle in neutral shifting at 8000+ rpm on a huge heavy piston push rod motor and nothing in the engine ever blew up, the trans was a different story, but it was a wimpy 1st gear story...

I think the rev limiters or red lines are set a bit low, and most motors have the power drop off well before red line, and even the Harley guys often bump up the rev limiter 1000 rpm's without issues.

Maybe you shorten the life of the motor some, but bikes are about fun.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:34 AM   #32
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
Offroad race bikes don't even have a tach. You shift them when they run out of breath. Heck, my Yam WR250R is often at the throttle stops for long periods. If it won't hold the speed in 6th, I go to 5th. If still won't hold I go to 4th.

I didn't have a tach on my 950 KTM either because I installed a roadbook holder that had its own dash system. I don't think I ever revved that thing too high, though. I now have a 690R. It has a tach, but I rarely look at it for shifting. The few times I have I noticed I'm pretty much on its red line when I'm pushing it.

My sons use quick shifters on their road racers and they very often shift after hitting the limiter. It's little burble in the howl as they go through the gears.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #33
gmk999
____ as a Rotax

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post
What Buickid said.

I get close to or hit redline all the time on my KLR650. But I try to keep the revs below 5,500 on the interstate. I put on a one tooth larger front sprocket.
Don't you want one one tooth smaller? more tire rotation per rev.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #34
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
There are two main issues with running over the redline on a stock engine. First is the reciprocating mass and the second is valve float. The issue with reciprocating mass is more of a long term issue of wear and tear. Valve float is more immediate. At higher engine speeds the valve springs simply cannot keep the tappet on the cam shaft resulting in the valve staying open. Depending on the engine design this can result in a bent valve (if the open valve comes into contact with the piston) or just a reduction in horsepower. Most manufacturers have a pretty good buffer on the top end of the RPM curve so it's usually not a big problem to run a little into redline on occasion or up to redline frequently. The only issue with running continuously at or near red line is engine cooling. The engine will run hotter so it's important that the oil and coolant levels are maintained with fresh fluids.

Many smaller engines and singles do not have a redline because the power drops off long before the engine gets to a point where it becomes a mechanical issue.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #35
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,541
What could possibly go wrong in the valve train?

Oh wait..... I recognize that shape.....

Old 11-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #36
mattness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
my 2009 vmax is about to turn 14k miles, of absolute thrashing. its on its 6th or 7th oil change. no problems so far. i think its actually gotten faster.

redline burnouts through intersections...

10+ miles of 5th gear wide open throttle..... at LEAST 40 times.... it'll be 30 degrees out and I'll be freezing cold, at 150 miles per hour, i can feel the heat coming off the motor and blowing straight out past my legs. This puppy can burn some fuel.

shifting at redline and riding a wheelie out in all of the first 3 gears...

if this bike can handle it im sure it wont hurt yours. (redlines at 10k)

oh and one note, my bike has ALWAYS been able to warm up. It has never been out of neutral without the heat gauge at the 25% mark. and within the first 5 miles or 10 minutes of every ride it doesnt go past 5k rpm.
mattness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:06 AM   #37
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post
What Buickid said.

I get close to or hit redline all the time on my KLR650. But I try to keep the revs below 5,500 on the interstate. I put on a one tooth larger front sprocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmk999 View Post
Don't you want one one tooth smaller? more tire rotation per rev.

If you want to lower RPMs at a given speed, smaller in the rear or bigger in the front.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #38
wmax351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Some bikes are built for it. Some are not.

The Royal Enfield will burn spark plugs, and then pistons, followed by other stuff if redlined (ish) for too long.

BMW K bikes are over engineered. For the 2 valve bikes, power drops off past redline. There's no reason to go past 8500 rpm. The valves don't allow enough flow. Better off shifting. But they don't mind it at all. I ran my K75 at 7000+ rpm for 3000 miles in 80-100 degree weather this summer. Didn't miss a beat. Burned a bit more oil. But still within the normal range.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #39
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,433
Ever seen Gary Rothwell ride? He sits on the Rev Limiter for a LONG time. His bikes last quite a while.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #40
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,381
Back in the day, I used to abuse my Triumph that way.
Never had a problem with it, it managed to do a 9000 mile trip around the US and cross the Mojave desert in July when it was 126F. Lots of full throttle long interstate runs on that bike, and plenty of tickets.

I had a LOT more problems with that bike when I did not ride it then when I abused it badly.
I think most bikes are made for hard use, except Royal Enfields and maybe Urals...
And I would rather ride something they way I want and have to fix it once and a while then ride around like an old woman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattness View Post
my 2009 vmax is about to turn 14k miles, of absolute thrashing. its on its 6th or 7th oil change. no problems so far. i think its actually gotten faster.

redline burnouts through intersections...

10+ miles of 5th gear wide open throttle..... at LEAST 40 times.... it'll be 30 degrees out and I'll be freezing cold, at 150 miles per hour, i can feel the heat coming off the motor and blowing straight out past my legs. This puppy can burn some fuel.

shifting at redline and riding a wheelie out in all of the first 3 gears...

if this bike can handle it im sure it wont hurt yours. (redlines at 10k)

oh and one note, my bike has ALWAYS been able to warm up. It has never been out of neutral without the heat gauge at the 25% mark. and within the first 5 miles or 10 minutes of every ride it doesnt go past 5k rpm.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #41
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,879
the only danger I can think of is too much fun
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote