Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #71191
P-P
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
That's the best plug reading guide I've ever seen! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
Plug reading can be hard. You need to look down inside the plug at the porcelain where it meets the metal base. That is where you read the color for fuel mixture. And, I have seen some newer fuel additives make this almost impossible to do just from the additives giving the porcelain color. Oil burning can give false readings as well.

Also, you will only be reading the fuel mixture where you shut the engine off. If you shut it off at idle then that is all you will be reading. If you want to read mixture at wide open you need to do a wide open pull- chop throttle then shut engine off. Pull the plug before you start the bike back up.

And look at how many threads are showing heat (for heat range). Should be 3-5 threads showing heat. More threads with heat means you need a colder plug. Only 1-2 threads showing heat you need a hotter plug.

Here, this should make it all clear as mud! Good luck!
Old 11-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #71192
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,945
There's no rebound adjustment on the stock DR shock...except changing the oil weight. That can have it's drawbacks too though.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #71193
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timan View Post
Did the search once again and didn't find a clear answer. I'm bringing a '04 back to life after it sat for couple years and have an issue (I think) with the petcock. It's a stock tank, petcock, and carb. I had the tank off for about week stored in my trailer. When I went to reinstall it had obviously leaked about 1/2 cup of gas in my trailer. Will the float system prevent gas from entering the crankcase? Is the petcock rebuildable or am I better off to replace with the Raptor? petcock I read about? If I do the Raptor deal, do I have to modify anything else? Is the Raptor a m/c model or is Raptor an aftermarket part like Pingel?
The Raptor petcock is a Yamaha Raptor ATV, I think. And it's about 1/3 the cost of a Pingel.

There are two possible leaks in the BST, one being the needle and seat. The other is the larger o-ring on the float assembly. If either one leaks, you could fill your airbox and crankcase with fuel. Add the possibility of me leaving the petcock on for two or three days is probably 100%. The stock petcock is rather expensive but the chances are that yours only needs to be cleaned out.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #71194
shu

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowDuer View Post
Hello,
Starting about a month ago my DR began backfiring while cruising down the highway. This was happening between 50-60 mph. When it backfires the engine seems to stop and then bump start itself to life again. Now it is happening mostly from 60-70. The engine does not die if I pop the clutch and pull onto the shoulder but it does not have a any power for a second or two after the backfire and the bike decelerates rapidly. These backfires sometimes come in sets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
Another possibility is vapor lock. Stock or aftermarket gas tank?
Good thinking here. My DR behaves in a similar manner when the IMS tank locking gas cap vent gets plugged. (Procycle says to fix it by poking a hole in the rubber disk under the green plastic piece. I've done that and it works for a while, but needs poking with an ice pick every now and then to keep the hole open).

[I]Originally Posted by procycle:
The locking cap has a small rubber disk inside it that acts as a one way valve so fuel doesn't splash out through the internal vent. You can access the disk by removing the rubber gasket and unscrewing the green plastic piece inside the cap. Take a sharp pointed pick and poke a tiny hole in the disk and you will solve the venting issues. The hole should be barely more than a pinhole. If you make the hole too big you might have a small amount of fuel spillage in a tipover.[/I]

Another possibility is the small filter on the breather from the carb. Mine had a tiny piece of rag sucked in there and had similar symptoms to what you describe.

Both of these would be easy to check out.

................shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #71195
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkol View Post
And then I hop on the DR and I am transported twenty years back to a place I really don't want to revisit; been there, done that, I want something more.
OK Johnkol get rid of the DR and get something else . No one is stopping you,from doing that. I like a few others are wondering what you are trying to really say . Is it you don't like your DR 650 , but you have said it's a good solid bike in stock form as long as your not pressing it.You like the other bikes you have owned, fine. Go ride them I thought this forum thread was intended for the free transmission of information about the DR 650. If your really interested in riding another bike go to it. Don't let us stop you. While there has been some back and forth about ideas and fixes I really see no end game for you (JMHO). I mean your calling it down by piece from the frame, suspension and motor. If your that bummed out about it, get rid of it get the bike you want and join that thread of the bike you own. For a bike that was developed about 20 yrs ago I and others think it's a great bike. NO bike stock will ever be 100 % its all a matter of preference. If you want a KTM, BMW, Yamaha Honda ETC., get one but there will always be something someone else will add on or modify on it. Thats what I learned when i started riding in the early 70's. If you buy something that was designed 20 yrs ago yes it will be showing flaws in comparison to newer models. I remember my YZ 125 A geez was it a beast didnt know it at the time but now forget about it. I also remember when works bike didn't have 38 mm forks or over 6 inches of travel. now a days its tough to find a bike that doesn't have 8 " of single shocked rear suspension and at least 40 mm front tubes. It's all comparative after reading your posts throughout the thread I am still left shaking my head as to why you still have it, or if you dont have it why you kept it longer then a week.. my 2 cents peace out

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #71196
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,822
Quote:
Nothing to do with the environment; it depends solely on the impact forces.

Nothing to do with the motor; motor forces are longitudinal, frame flex is mainly along the transverse plane.

No. Again, the forces from a washboard road are along the longitudinal plane, you need transverse forces to excite frame resonances.

Picture a seam without any height difference between the left and right planes; suspension is not involved.

I could start expounding on the physics of sharp impacts, Fourier transforms, low pass filters, and resonant frequencies, but something tells me that you're not really posing these questions in order to learn anything new.
"What he didn't tell us was that he was a direct lineal descendant or Balaam's ass, but we knew it without him telling us"
Mark Twain, "Roughing It"
Old 11-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #71197
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timan View Post
Did the search once again and didn't find a clear answer. I'm bringing a '04 back to life after it sat for couple years and have an issue (I think) with the petcock. It's a stock tank, petcock, and carb. I had the tank off for about week stored in my trailer. When I went to reinstall it had obviously leaked about 1/2 cup of gas in my trailer. Will the float system prevent gas from entering the crankcase? Is the petcock rebuildable or am I better off to replace with the Raptor? petcock I read about? If I do the Raptor deal, do I have to modify anything else? Is the Raptor a m/c model or is Raptor an aftermarket part like Pingel?
The Raptor petcock, is indeed from an ATV by Yamaha. I bought a Raptor petcock for about $20 from the dealer. Don't make the same mistake I did. I bought the O-ring that seals it against the tank. Didn't have to, it comes with the petcock. The only thing you have to do is plug the vacuum line for the stock petcock at the carb, Oh, and remember to turn off you gas when you are done riding. I like mine and I'm very glad I made the change.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #71198
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Question

Quote:
Nothing to do with the environment; it depends solely on the impact forces... frame flex is mainly along the transverse plane... you need transverse forces to excite frame resonances... Picture a seam without any height difference between the left and right planes...
I could start expounding on the physics of sharp impacts, Fourier transforms, low pass filters, and resonant frequencies, but something tells me that you're not really posing these questions in order to learn anything new.
You're right, John. I was posing the questions to try to break through the barrage of what seems to be a bunch of BS designed to impress people who never heard your technical vocabulary before. I understand that sideways forces might cause sideways frame flex. I understand what resonant frequencies are. I've used fourier transforms - but am quite rusty. And I know very little about dampening with frequency filters. If the frame does flex, it doesn't bother me; however, as a curious young lad I would like to verify your hypothesis using my bike. What are some specific maneuvers that would allow me to feel the frame flex - besides the seam thing...

So, you assert that only a sideways impact force can give the proper jerk to excite the resonant frequency. I think this essentially relegates the problem to going over a bump or edge while leaned over. Yet, you stated that a wandering feeling exists while riding down the road. If you are just riding down the road, there should not be any transverse forces acting on the bike. It also means the frame flex phenomenon should only occur while leaned, and go away once upright. Is that true? Also, on a smooth road, would this flex manifest itself during a sweeping turn? Without impacts, it should not, right? Does the frame only flex under a considerable force (bump or edge), or does it flex under less force (smooth sweeping turn)?
I'm not a racer or anything, but my DR actual feels more stable in turns (smooth or rough) than my CBR 600...
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #71199
johnkol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
You sure have learned a lot since you bought your bike.
Going from not knowing what was wrong with it, to knowing it is frame flex.
Nah, from the first five seconds I stepped on a dirt road I knew that the problem was the same as on the XR, a very flexible frame. I was simply incredulous that something like that could be happening in this day and age, and wanted to verify my conclusions with some other knowldgeable people first.

Quote:
And yet you still have stock suspension????
Yeah, why not? What is an upgraded suspension going to buy me? I won't enjoy the bike on dirt roads anyway because of the frame issues, so for asphalt the stock suspension is adequate.

Quote:
But you STILL have it!
Why is this a mystery? Once you accept the limitations of the bike, you adjust your expectations accordingly, and you enjoy the ride within that narrow envelope. I have had some great times on the DR!

I have also had some frustrating times on it, but this just means that I'm looking forward to the next bike with even greater anticipation.
johnkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #71200
johnkol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
I have to say John, I'm applauding your not losing patience as everyone tries to change your mind or offer suggestions, but I wonder why you're here. You've had the DR for a while, hate it, don't seem interested (to me anyway) in hearing suggestions about how you might be able to improve it, and are actively looking for a new bike. What are you hoping to get out of participating in this thread? To paraphrase your statement, it doesn't seem like you're here to learn anything new. Not trying to be a jerk, but as this goes on I'm becoming curious.
These are not unreasonable questions, but you are making some inferences that are not actually true.

First of all, I was never planning on saying anything about the frame flexes; I have known about this issue for a few months now, but I was not going to report any such finding in a forum dedicated to the DR lest it was construed as a troll. But I made an off-hand comment about the DR having fundamental flaws, someone asked that I elaborate on that statement... and the whole thing snowballed from there. Oh well, maybe some people got something useful out of this exchange.

But the problem in your rationale is that given my above position, you are conluding that I must hate the DR and cannot wait to get rid of it. These conlusions are simply not true.

Sure, the DR is not the bike that I was expecting (or merely hoping for), but it can still be useful within a more restricted usage -- and that's why I'm still here, basically for the same reason so many other participants are: to get tips on how to improve small aspects of the bike. No, I am not interested in throwing big money on the DR anymore, but there are other things that could be improved without any significant financial outlay.

I am also not planning on selling the DR in the near future. I am indeed actively looking for a couple of other bikes, but until I get them, evaluate them, and conclude that they serve my entire motorcycling spectrum, the DR stays with me.

Do things make more sense now?
johnkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #71201
BlueDevil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
These are not unreasonable questions, but you are making some inferences that are not actually true.

First of all, I was never planning on saying anything about the frame flexes; I have known about this issue for a few months now, but I was not going to report any such finding in a forum dedicated to the DR lest it was construed as a troll. But I made an off-hand comment about the DR having fundamental flaws, someone asked that I elaborate on that statement... and the whole thing snowballed from there. Oh well, maybe some people got something useful out of this exchange.

But the problem in your rationale is that given my above position, you are conluding that I must hate the DR and cannot wait to get rid of it. These conlusions are simply not true.

Sure, the DR is not the bike that I was expecting (or merely hoping for), but it can still be useful within a more restricted usage -- and that's why I'm still here, basically for the same reason so many other participants are: to get tips on how to improve small aspects of the bike. No, I am not interested in throwing big money on the DR anymore, but there are other things that could be improved without any significant financial outlay.

I am also not planning on selling the DR in the near future. I am indeed actively looking for a couple of other bikes, but until I get them, evaluate them, and conclude that they serve my entire motorcycling spectrum, the DR stays with me.

Do things make more sense now?

Nope
BlueDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:19 AM   #71202
nsrrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
There is one intangible that has not been discussed about modding a DR, or any motorcycle really. I love making a machine perform better and having one that is simply not another "latest-greatest" that anybody with the money can go buy. I like personalizing my motorcycle and having something unique. I know in the end it won't run with a KTM690 for instance but, it actually won't be THAT far off, will still do some things (even some important to me things) better than the KTM. The simple fact is, enthusiasts buy and ride a certain motorcycle for how it makes them feel (same for cars). If the DR does not make you feel good, you should move on to a a bike that does.
nsrrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:31 AM   #71203
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Mind's eye

Quote:
Nah, from the first five seconds I stepped on a dirt road I knew that the problem was the same as on the XR, a very flexible frame. I was simply incredulous that something like that could be happening in this day and age, and wanted to verify my conclusions with some other knowldgeable people first.

Yeah, why not? What is an upgraded suspension going to buy me? I won't enjoy the bike on dirt roads anyway because of the frame issues, so for asphalt the stock suspension is adequate.

Why is this a mystery? Once you accept the limitations of the bike, you adjust your expectations accordingly, and you enjoy the ride within that narrow envelope. I have had some great times on the DR!

I have also had some frustrating times on it, but this just means that I'm looking forward to the next bike with even greater anticipation.
I haven't ridden my DR enough yet for the "familiarity breeds contempt" to kick in. But expectations differ. So far my unruly brain has remained in the surprised and grateful at how more than adequate the DR is for what it pretends and cost.

I first sought info on the forums to determine how I would approach suspension set-up. The stock DR is plush and capable enough for a light, very moderate rider. This became my first concern. Frame flex or not, stiffer, better damped suspension is a must for me (in terms of safety and tuning the bike to me). Rough pavement corners, washboard, deep gravel, ruts, off-camber bumps etc. all call for improved suspension. You can always slow down but that does not improve suspension performance - it just reduces the demands. Many sections are better ridden with a bit more speed or are better handled when you come in a bit too hot, if the suspension is set up properly. I know you know this. Perhaps when my bike is dialed in my mind will wander to the frame issue you have "framed." Damn you But I'll be ok. I'll rein in my brain.

I bet you do have a lot of great time on the DR and the focus of this thread masks it. Brains and "framing" with words are antithetical to the state we seek through riding. But I think we'll agree the bike is always secondary to the ride. Lick the envelope.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:40 AM   #71204
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
I'm not a racer or anything, but my DR actual feels more stable in turns (smooth or rough) than my CBR 600...
Before someone tries to call BS on that statement, I also went from a sport bike (Ninja 650r) to this bike, and noticed that this does feel much more agile, especially in extremely tight turns where the wider bars give you some leverage. Can't wait to try my bike with supermoto wheels.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #71205
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
You have stepped into the TWILIGHT ZONE !!!!!!!!!
Or something else!!!!!!

Heirhead
heirhead is online now   Reply With Quote