Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #16
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,767
+1 to all the comments about the BA bag/pad combo. The thing I like about it also is that I wriggle around a lot and with the pad in the pocket of the bag, I can twist and turn to my hearts content and I don't end up with the bag all twisted up so I can't move.

The BA bag/pad combo makes camping so (so) much better - only thing I am not keen on is blowing the bloody pad up but I have figured out a way to do that (and when de-flating, just undo the valve while lying in it before you get up - works a treat).
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #17
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
+1 to all the comments about the BA bag/pad combo. The thing I like about it also is that I wriggle around a lot and with the pad in the pocket of the bag, I can twist and turn to my hearts content and I don't end up with the bag all twisted up so I can't move.

The BA bag/pad combo makes camping so (so) much better - only thing I am not keen on is blowing the bloody pad up but I have figured out a way to do that (and when de-flating, just undo the valve while lying in it before you get up - works a treat).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INHVFeS3uw0

After my last car trip with the girlfriend and having to blow 2 bags up, I am going to get the schnozzel pump bag.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #18
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INHVFeS3uw0

After my last car trip with the girlfriend and having to blow 2 bags up, I am going to get the schnozzel pump bag.
That is very interesting. I actually use a Slime pump and an adapter made from an old cycle tube but it takes forever and it's a little LOUD for me. I have something similar to this that I need to try again - I wasn't impressed first time I used it. Someone on here did start a thread on a battery powered pump that is very small and seems promising but I can't find the thread now - I might give that a go.

Pumping the pad up aside, it's a really great pad that is very very comfortable.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #19
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
That is very interesting. I actually use a Slime pump and an adapter made from an old cycle tube but it takes forever and it's a little LOUD for me. I have something similar to this that I need to try again - I wasn't impressed first time I used it. Someone on here did start a thread on a battery powered pump that is very small and seems promising but I can't find the thread now - I might give that a go.

Pumping the pad up aside, it's a really great pad that is very very comfortable.
Yeah I was thinking of using my slime also, but if it takes a while, I probably wont.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #20
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster452 View Post
Thanks for the heads up, but their Park series sale price at full throttle is still way more than what REI sells them for.
Actually if you look close,all the FTC Park deals are bundles,including pads,which accounts for the prices..
I did not notice that until now.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #21
theothersean
dirty boy

Oddometer: 948
I looked around the interweb a bit and Big Agnes makes a pump bag similar to the exped , and it appears as though roughly 4 fills of the bag will fill the bed , not only does it save your lungs , but it prevents moisture from your breath degrading the pad insulation and preventing ice from forming on cold camp outs . and you can use it as a stuff sack so it takes up zero extra space and weight close to nothing
http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sho...FehDMgodbGwADw
04 prairie 700 (plow duty)
theothersean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:16 AM   #22
kamikazekyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Tie or bungee the bag to the pad. Most sleeping bags have at least one tie down set at the foot (even my $20 off brand). Run some paracord, rope, string, or a bungee from one of the tie downs under the mattress and to the other tie down. If your bag doesn't have any tie downs (more common on rectangular bags), you can see about sacrificing the last inch or so of space at the foot of the bag for a tie down.

I first tried this with my summer weight bag/liner, which is just a thin fleece inner layer with a nylon outer. I toss and turn a ton at night and usually wind up with the bag upside down and off the pad while being twisted in the middle; awkward, considering it's a mummy bag. Just using the foot tiedown was enough to keep the bag put on my Big Agnes mattress. There was a smidgen of shifting at the top end, but it was surprised me how little the bag actually moved with only the foot tied down. It was at least enough to keep me on the mattress and the bag from constricting like a boa.

I haven't tried this with rectangular bags, but traditionally mummy bags have always moved a lot more than rectangular bags in my personal experience.
kamikazekyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:46 AM   #23
rboett
posser noob 205

Oddometer: 1,646
have a seamstress put a sleeve on the bottom of your current bag, of course sized right for you new pad.

I use a Big agnes summit park and an exped 9 dxl pad,, comfy.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #24
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboett View Post
have a seamstress put a sleeve on the bottom of your current bag, of course sized right for you new pad.

I use a Big agnes summit park and an exped 9 dxl pad,, comfy.
Yeah, that's my approach.

You need the sleeve fairly loose unless it's a very big bag, with the bottom stretched out by the pad the bag can be a bit too snug otherwise.

Makes for a lot more comfort and (maybe undesirable) it's a LOT warmer without heat escaping the bottom of the bag.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #25
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by algie1100 View Post
I had the BA setup with bag and pad and while it is top quality gear I always felt like I was in a straight jacket so I sold them. I picked up a nice NF down bag and an Exped pad. What works for me is to use the bag like a quilt and sleeping on the pad with the bag draped over. I can move around as much as I like and I'm always covered without feeling constricted.

Ha!! Good One!!! That's what I do now. I used to sleep on the mattress until one summer night I just slept on the pad & when it got cool I pulled the bag over like a quilt. I have the insulated pad so sleeping on it kept that side warm & the bag worked very well as a quilt. The bottom of my bag doesn't unzip all the way so my feet are in the bag. Now do that all the time, summer or winter.

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote