Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #91
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufjeep View Post
If someone is saying the KLX will do it, I'm calling BS. Same goes with the WRR. I had a WRR with the common mods, and while it would run run 75+, the throttle was on the stops and that was all it had. Some folks may not mind riding like that, but I found it extremely tiring. Don't get me wrong, I think the KLX and WRR are fabulous bike for back roads, commuting, etc...but they are no where near as good as a 650 for gobbling up miles on the slab.
Umm...aren't you at a bit of altitude, in a hilly part of the country?

It also depends on WHICH bikes you're comparing. I wouldn't want to ride an oil-burning KLR or a paint-shaker 640 on a long slab trip either. A WRR on relatively-flat ground at low altitude might be perfectly fine slabbing-wise for many people.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #92
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post

It also depends on WHICH bikes you're comparing. I wouldn't want to ride an oil-burning KLR or a paint-shaker 640 on a long slab trip either. A WRR on relatively-flat ground at low altitude might be perfectly fine slabbing-wise for many people.
The WRR is great below 5k feet, but it ain't bad in the high places. Mine runs out of throttle on high grades like in the Rockies, but I just go to 5th gear and she comes right back. If she runs out of the throttle in 5th, I go to 4th to maintain my slab speed (65 or so). I like to go to a gear that allows the throttle to be off the stop.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #93
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
The WRR is great below 5k feet, but it ain't bad in the high places. Mine runs out of throttle on high grades like in the Rockies, but I just go to 5th gear and she comes right back. If she runs out of the throttle in 5th, I go to 4th to maintain my slab speed (65 or so). I like to go to a gear that allows the throttle to be off the stop.
Im really not sure I would enjoy this on a bike, especially once you load it down with gear and add a headwind. Ever since I have started riding every bike Ive had has had more than enough power to blow away 95% of traffic in nearly all situations.

That said, Im amazed a 250 can even do 65 at altitude, let alone up a hill. 15 cubic inches.. I will have one when I get back from my trip
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #94
mashrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
I have a KLX 250 SF, and enjoy the heck out of it, If I had to chose between my XR 1200 and the Kawi, the KLX would win, Its my go to bike tons of fun, it will go 75 easy but the seat is a pain
mashrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #95
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,525
I went from a KLR to a DL1000, fun bike I even took it off road in Baja, then wanted smaller and got a TW200, what a POS, 70 MPH WOT and scary, now I have a DR650 great compromise, much lighter that the KLR, and plenty of power to cruise at 75 all day long and still pass. I just did a 3 day ride with all my camping and cooking gear, this is just the right size.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #96
Rufjeep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post

If the long trip was 70/30 in favor of the street, and it involved roads that required speeds of >65 mph for long periods of time, I would absolutely choose the KLR, DR650, or the LC4 over a 250. Let me be clear, I like the KLX and the WRR, but think they are a litttle over-hyped in their abilities to comfortably maintain slab speeds (at least anywhere there is an appreciable climbing involved).

As far as adventure riding goes (and let me loosely define that by a bike that carry plenty of gear, cover alot of miles, and let you do it in some semblence of comfort), I am just not a fan of the smaller bikes. I'd choose the KLR, 650 Dakar, or plenty of other bikes with roomier cockpits, better luggage capacity, some wind protection.

The OP asked if ayone had went from a 650 to a 250 and regreted it. Well, I did, I'm not knocking anyone else's choice in bikes, it just wasn't for me.
Rufjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #97
ntm1973 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Set up as is, all I need is larger tank and a camelback on the rear rack/seat in the spring for an overnighter.

I put the gps on it for a short ride today and the speedo is off about 6 mph at an indicated 70. It isn't pinned at that speed but it may not be enough for some superslab although for me, it is working out great so far.
ntm1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #98
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 798
I've had 2 KLR's, and just picked this up today. I rode it home about 150 miles on the freeway. It isn't as good on the freeway, I don't know what others are talking about. It vibrates more, even though it has vibrinators in it. But, that being said, it did 150 miles just fine. I put the speedo on 70, it didn't slow down at all going up hills, and it had enough room left that I didn't worry at all if I needed to pass someone. This does have the 331cc kit in it, so not sure how much of a difference that makes.

So, the KLRs (at least the ones I've had) were better on the freeway, but this is light enough and powerful enough that it feels like it will be better pretty much everywhere else. With my style of riding, I didn't end up taking the KLR's on long freeway trips, so it didn't make too much since to have one.

nigelcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #99
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
250 blows getting up steep stuff. You get so high in the rev range that it's just a pain dealing with all the spin. Too bad the japanese makers don't make a 450 ds bike because it is so nice chugging up something with torque
Steep stuff.............yea,my tw200 does that easy. I went from a 650L to the TW....no regret!.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #100
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
The WR250R is the best do it all bike available. I used to ride mine 60km to work and back every day then on the weekend take long 300km trips into the forest then return to start riding to work again with just an airfilter clean.

It's not a slow bike either:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...um71WsA#t=210s

I did find it very weak in the sand but riding in sand is shit anyway. Used to ride in the mountains with Husky 610's, KTM640s, XR650R's then in the forest with 2 strokes, whatever it could do it all. The 610 gave it a bit of a run for it's money but then the engine blew up?! Is that what you call an adventure? I just see a big credit card bill. See it happen with KTM's all the time too. If you're not racing and you just like to explore off-road then there's no doubt in my mind which bike you should purchase. You don't even have to open the engine until 42,000kms should this be overlooked? By the time your friends are done servicing their bikes you'll be at your destination already. Also you don't need to buy a 4WD with a trailer to take it everywhere which is a HUGE timesaver, unlike the 450s where you have to rebuild the engine every however many hours making it a bad idea to run up those hours getting to the trails. Wake up at 8am, be in the forest by 10am. It used to take me 2 hours just to prepare my fuel, tools etc and load my old RM250 onto the trailer but with the WR250R sometimes I'd be on my way home already.

Oh and you'll burn half the fuel the other bikes do too. And never have I ever had any problems at all getting up hills... not sure why people assume this before riding it. It's designed with this in mind by having the 2 first gears very short so it can go up anything...

There are other vids on youtube with people doing huge jumps on them on the MX track (not really my thing but if it floats your boat...)

Again if you're racing or want to beat your chest as you gain a 10 second lead on your mate then there are much better bikes you can buy, but if you're looking to explore then get the WR250R.
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #101
Hans_Krugger
Rock Jock

Oddometer: 25
For what its worth, I went from a V-twin 650 to a Yamaha XT250 and love it. I have never had an issue with power going up hills or on the road. However I weigh 150 pounds. What I like the most is the fact that the bike is so light that when I dump it in the bush alone, its not too tough to pick it up. I have dumped it in some pretty rough stops and the fact that the bike was only 270 pounds was a hugh help - especially since I was in the middle of no-where and alone.

I really like the size of the bike. I am a very happy camper with mine and doubt that I will ever move to a large bike like a BMW or KLZ 650.
Hans_Krugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:28 AM   #102
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,536
went from dr650 to dr350.
only regret is 5 years on the 650 coulda been much shorter.
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #103
none
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Went from a 250 to a 650 and am much happier. If I had done the oppisite I defiately woulda regretted it.
none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #104
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Im really not sure I would enjoy this on a bike, especially once you load it down with gear and add a headwind. Ever since I have started riding every bike Ive had has had more than enough power to blow away 95% of traffic in nearly all situations.

That said, Im amazed a 250 can even do 65 at altitude, let alone up a hill. 15 cubic inches.. I will have one when I get back from my trip
Mine is always loaded. I keep it in Phoenix to explore the West when I visit. It has a top speed around 90 in good conditions and I generally cruise about 65 on the highway. As you know, most of the west is 5-9k feet up. It works...

My travel kit is about 35lbs. I'm about 210lb in my gear. Maybe more. I bought it because my KTM twin was too heavy to explore thw wilderness solo. I needed something I could pick up out of the mud myself. The little Yam proved every bit as good a touring bike as my big twin. So I sold the beast and replaced it with a stonking 690R...probably the most powerful single made:

It's about the same weight as the Yammer, but nearly 70HP! ...a freakin' rocketship!
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote