Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #71206
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkol View Post
These are not unreasonable questions, but you are making some inferences that are not actually true.

First of all, I was never planning on saying anything about the frame flexes; I have known about this issue for a few months now, but I was not going to report any such finding in a forum dedicated to the DR lest it was construed as a troll. But I made an off-hand comment about the DR having fundamental flaws, someone asked that I elaborate on that statement... and the whole thing snowballed from there. Oh well, maybe some people got something useful out of this exchange.
imo, you are being more than a little bit disingenuous. you made an "off-hand" comment? here it is:
"The DR is such a fundamentally flawed bike that no major upgrade is justifiable for me..."

other comments:
"...if one is looking for a bike to connect with, to explore his and its limits, to feel one with the road and progress as a rider, then the DR fails miserably -- and, for me at least, no matter how many upgrades one carries out on the DR, it will still be a failure on that nebulous concept of being one with the bike.
"

"...I consider the DR the worst bike I have ever owned (probably ridden too)...", immediately followed by: "(it) does not mean that I have not enjoyed the trips I have taken with it. If one accepts its flaws and limitations, and simply treats it as a vehicle for exploring far away places and new locales, then the DR is as fine a machine as anything out there."

yes, i am sure folks on this forum got useful info out of this exchange:
- "johnkol's dr650 is defective."
- "johnkol is a bit off, as here is someone who thinks the dr is the worst bike he's ever ridden, can never be one w/the bike, yet can still say "...it can still be useful within a more restricted usage..." "...If one accepts its flaws and limitations, and simply treats it as a vehicle for exploring far away places and new locales, then the DR is as fine a machine as anything out there."
- johnkol in fact is a troll, his protestations notwithstanding, and he really has no desire to try to figure out what might be wrong w/his bike.
- "mental note - pay little attention to any info provided by johnkol."

Quote:
But the problem in your rationale is that given my above position, you are conluding that I must hate the DR and cannot wait to get rid of it. These conlusions are simply not true.

Sure, the DR is not the bike that I was expecting (or merely hoping for), but it can still be useful within a more restricted usage -- and that's why I'm still here, basically for the same reason so many other participants are: to get tips on how to improve small aspects of the bike. No, I am not interested in throwing big money on the DR anymore, but there are other things that could be improved without any significant financial outlay.

I am also not planning on selling the DR in the near future. I am indeed actively looking for a couple of other bikes, but until I get them, evaluate them, and conclude that they serve my entire motorcycling spectrum, the DR stays with me.

Do things make more sense now?
do things make more sense now? yup, they sure do - you make no sense. and your dr650 has a serious issue that others' don't have, as the bikes are not "flexy flyers". and, for whatever reason, you aren't interested in getting to the bottom of your bike's problem. no one's loss but your own.

or, maybe, you're like that princess penelope who couldn't sleep cuz that li'l pea under her 19 mattresses was bothering her. or maybe you're like those "super-tasters", except you are exceedingly sensitive to motorcycle frame flex instead of food taste...

in any event, i do feel kinda bad for you - your stubbornness prevents you from getting to the bottom of the issue w/your dr, which could certainly be markedly improved and eliminate the problems you have encountered - either w/mods, or to fix the frame problem, which it likely has, if your bike is truly as you state. or, if you really are that sensitive, i feel bad that you have to suffer so much, never being able to be one w/this bike, while eeking out whatever enjoyment from it that you do get... in which case, the sooner you get rid of it, the better - for your own self, and for those of us on this board, that won't get sucked in to your trolling this thread.

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #71207
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Before someone tries to call BS on that statement, I also went from a sport bike (Ninja 650r) to this bike, and noticed that this does feel much more agile, especially in extremely tight turns where the wider bars give you some leverage. Can't wait to try my bike with supermoto wheels.
i have not ridden a purpose-built motard, but i can tell you, you will not be disappointed - a 'tarded dr650 is a beautiful thing, you will be one w/the bike. unless of course, you are like princess johnkol/penelope..

doug s.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #71208
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,290
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=728

Frame flex,i get it now

Alright I'll say it.Maybe you should of bought a KLR?

sandwash screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 09:41 AM
sandwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #71209
P-P
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Looks like you're in Tonopah - Death Valley Is a bit SW from there :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
For anyone who's interested here's a link to the SPOT tracking page

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...jBGuarSOcaHZNc
Old 11-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #71210
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
i have not ridden a purpose-built motard, but i can tell you, you will not be disappointed - a 'tarded dr650 is a beautiful thing, you will be one w/the bike. unless of course, you are like princess johnkol/penelope..

doug s.
I've got no real issue with my bike. I bet my highway cruising problems would go away if I just ran on a treadmill and lost some weight

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #71211
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwash View Post
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=728

Frame flex,i get it now

Alright I'll say it.Maybe you should of bought a KLR?
Don't even get him started on the KLR, then I would have to tell him he don't know what the heck he is talking about, plan and simple.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #71212
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I've got no real issue with my bike. I bet my highway cruising problems would go away if I just ran on a treadmill and lost some weight

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
could be true; as my bike cruises yust fine at 80mph, and i weigh only ~155lbs.

doug s.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #71213
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
doug s.
+1 on both points, I bought my DR650SM this summer and it is an absolute blast on the back roads and on a good day it does feel like an extension of myself...but I am not a princess (OR a corksniffer) .... FWIW I went from a 150/60 on the rear to a 150/70, not crazy about the looks but that effectively bumped the gearing up about 5% and my bike is much nicer to ride on freeways, it no longer sounds a bit strained at 70-75 mph. I need a front fender like yours for the winter though, the trimmed stocker sends water up and on to the bike and rider.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...cork%20sniffer

victor441 screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 01:23 PM
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #71214
P-P
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Picture a seam without any height difference between the left and right planes; suspension is not involved.
I had the same problem when mine was new. When i hit grooved pavement, or road seams, or any kind of sand it would seem as if the bike was twisting and it really scared me. I kept reading about how great the DR650 was, so I just figured it was my poor riding abilities.
When I went to change my first tire I found that the swingarm bushings were completely wasted - had less than 4000 miles on it. Had them replaced under warranty. After they were replaced the "frame flex" problem went away completely.
Now I've gone from riding a Flexy Flyer to a Sexy Flyer hahaha!
Old 11-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #71215
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmcd View Post
I bet you do have a lot of great time on the DR and the focus of this thread masks it. Brains and "framing" with words are antithetical to the state we seek through riding. But I think we'll agree the bike is always secondary to the ride. Lick the envelope.
Excellent comments!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #71216
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,111
Quote:
Before someone tries to call BS on that statement, I also went from a sport bike (Ninja 650r) to this bike, and noticed that this does feel much more agile, especially in extremely tight turns where the wider bars give you some leverage. Can't wait to try my bike with supermoto wheels.
The bike I've been the best rider on was my ZX-7R. I think what you're believing is agility is actually a much lower weight, different rake, and possibly the thinner front tire.

Depending on the speed and the road, I could see how a fixed up DR650 would be great, but it's still nowhere in comparison to a ZX through sweeping fast turns. Even if a DR650 did have the HP to keep up, on a more open race track it's flex would be too much for me to care about it.

If a rider's hard turns are at 45 to 65 (or even under, obviously), the DR could seem like the bike to have. The 'agility' of a sport bike comes when you're taking corners faster than most states' top speed limits.
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #71217
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,125
I ride too slowly to notice frame flex.
The main difference compared to my TT350 is inertia.
The extra weight the DR carries.

But compared to some, it carries it well.

With the extra inertia comes a little plushness which is nice.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #71218
johnkol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
For it's intended use and target user ... the suspension is actually not bad, especially considering this was 1996!
I disagree. I weigh 130 lbs and both forks and shock have way too much compression damping. On sharp impacts the forks pack up and deliver a violent jolt to your arms. Shock is even worse because it effectively has no rebound damping, so on successive bumps it becomes airborne and essentially stalls forward momentum of the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
BTW, Rodney was also involved with R&D of the DRZ400. Shame they haven't updated that bike either. It was good in 2000 ... now? Not so much.
I think I can discern a pattern here. I rode a DRZ400E around 2002, and after a relatively short gnarly section my arms were shot: way too much compression damping was transmitting all impacts to my arms -- and the setting had already been adjusted full soft. The Husaberg FE400 that I hopped on immediately afterwards felt like a magic carpet in comparison. So I disagree on the DRZ too: it wasn't good even when it was first introduced.

johnkol screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 12:48 PM
johnkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #71219
DowDuer
!rn00b-aK

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
Good thinking here. My DR behaves in a similar manner when the IMS tank locking gas cap vent gets plugged. (Procycle says to fix it by poking a hole in the rubber disk under the green plastic piece. I've done that and it works for a while, but needs poking with an ice pick every now and then to keep the hole open).

[I]Originally Posted by procycle:
The locking cap has a small rubber disk inside it that acts as a one way valve so fuel doesn't splash out through the internal vent. You can access the disk by removing the rubber gasket and unscrewing the green plastic piece inside the cap. Take a sharp pointed pick and poke a tiny hole in the disk and you will solve the venting issues. The hole should be barely more than a pinhole. If you make the hole too big you might have a small amount of fuel spillage in a tipover.[/I]

Another possibility is the small filter on the breather from the carb. Mine had a tiny piece of rag sucked in there and had similar symptoms to what you describe.

Both of these would be easy to check out.

................shu
I used a few zip ties to secure the kickstand safety switch and then rode 70 miles with no problems so I believe this might be it. I will remove the switch and see if the problem reoccurs when the weather dries out.

My bike seldom sits for more than a couple days as I do not own a car.

DowDuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #71220
jack82
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Big bore kit.

Hi fellas........I'm thinking about getting a DR for a bit of offroad touring.I have a Gas Gas EC300 and an XR650R for the real dirty stuff but have just broken my right ankle so won't be kickstarting for a while.

If I could get a DR close to the XR's performance I'd be happy.

Would a big bore/cammed/carbed/piped DR have similar performance?

Is the Ricor shock/fork valve combo a good setup?

Cheer's Jack.
jack82 is offline   Reply With Quote