Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 05:10 AM   #946
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post

Could there be a real small ball valve out there that could be put in place so when you change the oil you just add a tube to the end of the valve and open up?? Thinking out loud as I am brewing a batch a beer and my kettle has a ball valve.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #947
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,298
Dammit Bigdog, I finally got a WR250R and outfitted it after reading about your various trips and buildup. I've really enjoyed that little bike. Now you go and get this flippin' Husky. Which, if I wasn't interested in anyway, I wouldn't be reading this thread. You sir, are a bad influence. First time you've ever heard that, I'm sure.
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #948
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
That's a great idea 30Bones--why didn't I think of that----------I'm a plumber (or was a plumber)---I'll see what I can plumb up.
I'm retired---but I'll come out of retirement for this.
That might be an 1/8" pipe thread which would make it easy ??? If not----you could remove that tee and put one in that would fit a 1/8" pipe thread ?????

I did that same thing on my riding lawnmower------stinkin' drain plug let oil run all over the thing.

Right now----------tho----taking off for Missouri for a few days before the outlaws arrive for the Holidays.
Wife says I got to be back by Wednesday the day before Thanksgiving---Yes--dear.

BigDog
Work harder not smarter...errr wait.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #949
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,884
Made a wind screen today.
I found this.

Looks like it will fit

Taped it on to mark where it needed whittling.

Finished

An improvement for sure, not as much wind protection as my 640 ADV but definitely better. The 4 bolt arrangement lends itself well to any sort of screen that might be fashioned. I imagine we'll see all manner of stuff mounted on the front of these bikes.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #950
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,884
Also started putting together a tool kit.

Checked a bunch of the fasteners used, here's what I found,
24mm gets the oil plug and both axle bolts.
10 and 12 for the chain adjusters
13 for the rear sprocket bolts.
Most everything else is Torx. My folding set only goes to T40. The triple clamps and footpeg bolts are larger. Looks like Torx go up to 50, 55 and 60. I may take it up to the auto parts store and see if they'll let me try before I buy on some sockets. Would really like to find just some simple angle keys like an allen wrench.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:16 AM   #951
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,344
Seems like you could just get some plastic spacers from the hardware store to lift it off a bit and allow some airflow under the screen. Sort of a poor man's Madstad bracket.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:56 AM   #952
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Seems like you could just get some plastic spacers from the hardware store to lift it off a bit and allow some airflow under the screen. Sort of a poor man's Madstad bracket.
Exactly!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #953
CCer
missing

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
I had the same thought, so, inspired by the WasteBasketShield® genius of BigDog, I looked around the garage and found an old Road Glide windshield. Took about 45 minutes to mask, outline the shape and cut, then about the same amount of time to sand and smooth the edges.

I picked up some half-inch nylon spacers from the local Lowes, along with some longer bolts to attach and some nylon washers. They only had the hex head in the size needed.

It has a cool look at night due to picking up some stray light from the dash/headlight.

It works pretty well but it throws the airstream just about mid-helmut, which seems to creates a little more noise. I'm going to try adjusting the angle first using different size spacers top vs. bottom to get it to stand more upright and see if more air spills off the sides. If that doesn't work I'll probably shorten it a couple of inches.

There isn't much air flowing up behind the shield so the spacers don't seem to be helping much. I need them anyway since the shield doesn't have enough bend to attach directly.

CCer screwed with this post 11-18-2012 at 10:36 AM
CCer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #954
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,090
I'm really liking this bike as a potential upgrade to my DR650... which I love... but would like more power and a bit more highway-friendliness without being too much heavier.

I'm glad to hear the alternator is 400W... I wonder how much of that the bike consumes, to know what's left for accessories?

Can't say I'm fond of the oil change procedures. Reminds me of a Honda Rincon ATV I had years ago. That thing was a total PITA. Was impossible to change the oil without getting it everywhere, and took 20+ minutes to put two quarts back in it.

What are the stock tires that come on it? I don't recognize the tread pattern.

There's a Husky dealer here in town, but I haven't bothered going down there yet. I figure he won't have any, and I don't have any money right now anyway. :)

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #955
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCer View Post
I had the same thought, so, inspired by the WasteBasketShield genius of BigDog, I looked around the garage and found an old Road Glide windshield. Took about 45 minutes to mask, outline the shape and cut, then about the same amount of time to sand and smooth the edges.

I picked up some half-inch nylon spacers from the local Lowes, along with some longer bolts to attach and some nylon washers. They only had the hex head in the size needed.

It has a cool look at night due to picking up some stray light from the dash/headlight.

It works pretty well but it throws the airstream just about mid-helmut, which seems to creates a little more noise. I'm going to try adjusting the angle first using different size spacers top vs. bottom to get it to stand more upright and see if more air spills off the sides. If that doesn't work I'll probably shorten it a couple of inches.

There isn't much air flowing up behind the shield so the spacers don't seem to be helping much. I need them anyway since the shield doesn't have enough bend to attach directly.
Nice job! I am looking forward to getting one of these bikes soon.
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #956
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I'm really liking this bike as a potential upgrade to my DR650... which I love... but would like more power and a bit more highway-friendliness without being too much heavier.

I'm glad to hear the alternator is 400W... I wonder how much of that the bike consumes, to know what's left for accessories?

Can't say I'm fond of the oil change procedures. Reminds me of a Honda Rincon ATV I had years ago. That thing was a total PITA. Was impossible to change the oil without getting it everywhere, and took 20+ minutes to put two quarts back in it.

There's a Husky dealer here in town, but I haven't bothered going down there yet. I figure he won't have any, and I don't have any money right now anyway. :)

Rob
As far as oil changes, looks like a breeze compared to my 950. I have gotten better at minimizing the mess.

I called Bills in Salem a few weeks ago and at the time they had sold the 4 TR's they had. They didn't expect the next shipment until late Nov/early Dec. I talked to another dealer yesterday who said they were tied up in port in New York.

Forgot to mention I believe the tires are Metzler Saharas
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #957
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
On the wind screen:
1. I've added a second layer, ala Laminar Lip, using a piece off an old Rifle wind screen. Used #10 nylon screws and spacers from Tru Valu to attach the piece and add some height. Works a charm to reduce buffeting, and the space between the two pieces, wider at the bottom (longer spacers) adds some pressure and speed to the air as it exits the screens. Works for me at highway speed on my road bikes.

2. When finishing cuts on the plastic, I hit the edges with a propane torch (careful) which melts the ruff cuts to smooth them and relief some stress.

This bike sure has caught my attention. Still too heavy for what I want in an ADV bike but about the closest readily available. I'd rather have a Honda. Hate hearing about corrupted software, makes me wonder about the general reliability of the product..

George 99 screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 12:43 PM
George 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #958
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post

Rob
Bill's has a Terra demo bike, so it might be worth the trip. OEM tires are Sahara's on the Terra, Tourance EXP on the Strada. My Strada doesn't mind my jacket liner and gloves on all day long, so there's at least that much surplus power.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #959
CCer
missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
nice. did you bolt that screen directly to the oem fairing and ride and then ride again this way to see if it made any difference in buffeting and not just looks only?

i've also seen something like that with several holes drilled in the screen say a few inches in the bottom to also let some air in the backside. the air would go through the holes and then hot the oem fairing and then flow up and out the back.

the ktm adv guys deal with a ton of buffeting issue because they have a big upright screen and dead air behind. you can see all the solutions here. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=windscreen
Thanks for the link, interesting reading and now I want to try adding a NACA duct to the middle of mine. I went for a 2 hour ride today with a head wind at times and I was happy to have the larger screen. I don't have a buffeting issue, the stream is pretty clean, there's just a lot of it right at mid-helmut level.

The screen I made won't attach without the spacers due the 'bump' in the center of the stock screen. The new screen has only a slight curve to it and just clears that bump with the half inch spacers.

I have a another old windshield from the road glide, so there's a second chance to experiment if this one doesn't work out.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #960
CCer
missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnr View Post
Nice job! I am looking forward to getting one of these bikes soon.
It's a very nice bike, you won't be disappointed.