ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 249 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #5836
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 759
Mapquest OSM

Trying to get the OSM maps into Basecamp and 650.
On http://www.openstreetmap.org/ I see a Mapquest Open terrain style map.
This is what I really would like to have on the Montana since the terrain maps are what I use in Google to find the hilly roads.
So is there a download for this Mapquest OSM? I can't seem to find it.
I've made a little progress with the generic routable OSMs but I'm sure I'll have to ask a few questions about that as well soon enough.
thanks
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #5837
mass-klr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Sounds like the exact setup i have on the 4 rugged mounts I have here: Cable coiled with tie-wraps holding it to the crossbar, and powered by an SAE cable at the steering head.

Just to make sure. If my SAE cable going to my battery has a fuse in line do I still need to leave the amps mount fuse on the part going from the mount to the SAE connector?
mass-klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #5838
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpitts01 View Post
Yes, I did need that information. It all makes sense to me now.
Without that explanation I was quite confused.

Again, just to be sure I have it correct, please confirm that I have (2) choices, A and B

A
Install the uSD card in the Montana
Connect the Montana to the laptop
Create a directory on the uSD card named /Garmin
Insert the CN CD in the laptop
Download the CN maps to the uSD card in the Montana to the /Garmin directory.
To load the maps to a second uSD card, disconnect the Montana, swap uSD card 1 with uSD card 2, connect the Montana to the laptop again and download the maps to uSD card 2.

B
Insert the uSD card in the slot on the laptop
Connect the Montana
Create a directory on the uSD card named /Garmin
Insert the CN CD in the laptop
Download the CN maps to the uSD card to the /Garmin directory.
To load the maps to a second uSD card, swap uSD card 1 with uSD card 2 on the laptop and repeat.

Sorry to be such a PITA with the questions, but I want to be sure to get this right from the get-go.

If detailed instructions are available anywhere just give me a link or point me to w website / thread.

Thanks for all your help.

John
You do not need to insert the CN DVD each time.

First time, you will install CN to your hard drive. Then you will be able to use it in BaseCamp. Launching MapInstall will allow you to send all or part of the CN map to your Montana or uSD card.

Please read the Montana Map Installation info here.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #5839
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-klr View Post
Just to make sure. If my SAE cable going to my battery has a fuse in line do I still need to leave the amps mount fuse on the part going from the mount to the SAE connector?
If your connection is fused then sure, snip the one off the Garmin cable but I left mine on since it makes it safer, in case I plug into someone else's bike sometime if I borrow a bike but don't know if their wiring is fused.

Better safe than sorry.

Besides, if I do blow the fuse, it's much more accessible this way.

I just remembered the other reason I left the fuse on the Garmin cable. The SAE cable has a larger fuse than is best to protect electronics with since that SAE connector normally is used for battery charging, and powering the electric air pump when I need it. So it just makes sense to have a lighter amperage fuse in the Garmin cable.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 08:03 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #5840
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
Well I am back on track :)

After 14 days the faulty unit was replaced and although I had to cross a border and a river and use a cranky slow bus that broke down, I now have my THIRD 650t.

Hopefully this one will last longer than the other 2 and not get confused either :)

Cheers from Chiang Rai Thailand on my way back to my broken down bike in Laos
]

Cheers
TravellingStrom
Sent by arcane magic
using Tapatalk

Hmmmm, I just checked the units software and it was shipped with version 3.82, why would they do that, you would think it would come out with at least the latest stable version :(

Oh well, in for a penny, I am installing 4.60 now and will see what happens when I go for a ride for the first time in about an hour or so :)

Cheers
TS
Old 11-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #5841
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Hmmmm, I just checked the units software and it was shipped with version 3.82, why would they do that, you would think it would come out with at least the latest stable version :(
It did come with the latest version. The latest version available when the unit was packaged.

When each new firmware update is released, should Garmin cut the seals on all packaged GPSr units in inventory and update them, then repackage them again? Each time?

Should they also recall all packaged units from all vendors and retailers for the same purpose?

Or should we just plug in the GPSr and update it once, when we receive it and unpackage the unit ourselves?

Some expectations are unreasonable.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #5842
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Or should we just plug in the GPSr and update it once, when we receive it and unpackage the unit ourselves?

Pretty much the same reason why the Montana doesn't come with a printed manual. That would be a real moving target, trying to pin that information down in printed form.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:34 AM   #5843
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
It did come with the latest version. The latest version available when the unit was packaged.

When each new firmware update is released, should Garmin cut the seals on all packaged GPSr units in inventory and update them, then repackage them again? Each time?

Should they also recall all packaged units from all vendors and retailers for the same purpose?

It did not come in a box mate otherwise I would not have mentioned it

It came by itself with nothing except a battery in a bubble wrap bag, so yes I DO expect them to put the latest version software on it and I am not being unreasonable about my expectations

Cheers
TravellingStrom
Sent by arcane magic
using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #5844
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
It came by itself with nothing except a battery in a bubble wrap bag, so yes I DO expect them to put the latest version software on it and I am not being unreasonable about my expectations

Cheers
TravellingStrom
Sent by arcane magic
using Tapatalk

Sounds like you had quite an adventure! We all hope that the third time is the charm!
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #5845
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Sounds like you had quite an adventure! We all hope that the third time is the charm!

I hope so too m8, because they haven't earnt the cost of the product yet in any way shape nor form
Old 11-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #5846
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,324
Tempe

I think by now we all know that the tempe wireless temperature sensor is defective. Garmin is working on producing corrected units and, if you reported yours to Product Support, you should get a new one when they are available. In the mean time, here is a description of how the tempe works - in case you haven't figured it out by now.

From Montana Dev Team:
Ill give you a quick and basic example of how the feature works. I put the tempe under a light bulb and it reads 100F at 10:00:00 AM on Thursday. I move it away from the light bulb and it somehow magically cools to 75F at 10:00:01 AM on Thursday. It remains at 75F until I heat it up to 85F at 11:00:00 AM on Thursday. It then cools down back to 75F and remains at that temperature. At 9:59:59 AM on Friday, the 24hr max will read 100F. At 10:00:01 AM on Friday, the 24hr max will read 85F. Because the 100F temperature was greater than 24 hours in the past, it is no longer the 24hr max.

The 24 hour min/max temperatures are saved on the tempe. That allows the 24hr min/max to be preserved even if you turn off your handheld or walk out of range to the tempe, and it gives you more flexibility when using the tempe. As a basic example, you could leave it outside far away from your handheld device in the evening and then return in the morning with your handheld to figure out how cold it got the previous night. The only way to reset it and clear the 24hr min/max is to remove the battery from the tempe and wait several seconds. The tempe will then forget everything and start from scratch.
I'm afraid I'll be somewhere between home and Tierra del Fuego when the new tempe ships - being optimistic.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #5847
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I think by now we all know that the tempe wireless temperature sensor is defective. Garmin is working on producing corrected units and, if you reported yours to Product Support, you should get a new one when they are available.

I'm afraid I'll be somewhere between home and Tierra del Fuego when the new tempe ships - being optimistic.

Cheers,
Just received notice that Garmin has shipped me a Tempe as of today. I ordered it more than 8 weeks ago. I thought maybe they had lost the order. I'll be testing the unit I receive to see if it is a new updated unit or an older, malfunctioning version.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #5848
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
Trying to get the OSM maps into Basecamp and 650.
On http://www.openstreetmap.org/ I see a Mapquest Open terrain style map.
This is what I really would like to have on the Montana since the terrain maps are what I use in Google to find the hilly roads.
So is there a download for this Mapquest OSM? I can't seem to find it.
I've made a little progress with the generic routable OSMs but I'm sure I'll have to ask a few questions about that as well soon enough.
thanks
anybody have a link to Open Street Maps with terrain view?
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #5849
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I think by now we all know that the tempe wireless temperature sensor is defective.
Mine was reading a 24 hour high of +33, on a day it never went higher than 6C.

Guess I'd better ask Garmin for a working one.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #5850
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 763
usb vs main drive

I also use to install all my maps onto my 16gb SD drive. But after loosing the Montana's SD drive connection out on the trail more than once, I've since altered my map install approach. I now install CN map onto the main drive as my primary basemap, just in case the SD goes south. That way I have at least one good working map. All my other maps remain on the SD.

The ear plug in the battery compartment works the majority of the time to make everything snug, but when the going gets really rough the SD can still vib loose, hence temp loosing your map. Should mention I've only had this occur on gnarly rock infested single track type trails. When this occurs the fix is easy though, open bat compartment, re-snug the SD drive and ear plug snugger.

dvwalker screwed with this post 11-18-2012 at 09:27 AM Reason: **SD drive correction
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote