Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #16
Pray4Snow OP
Saddle Monkey

Oddometer: 95
Day 4
July 17, 2012
Odometer 19,798km

· On the road by 07:45 and grabbed brekky in Houston around 10:00. Should be in Prince Rupert around 2 or 3.
· Gretta, my black and orange beauty, should turn 20,000km today … will try to get a picture.

Missed the actual event … a bit late.

· Tried hard-mounting the Drift to the engine guard on the left-hand side. It’s within reach to be able to operate the controls with my left hand while riding. Will try shooting some video and stills today.
· Landscape was interesting … shortly after breakfast, I would start to get glimpses of mountains through the trees to the west. As the day wore on, the terrain got more and more mountainous. After lunch, the rivers beside the road started to look less riverine, and more ‘fjord-like’.
·
·

· Pulled into Prince Rupert around 4 (I think) and found Tall Trees Bed and Breakfast without any trouble. BTW … the choice of something other than camping turned out to be a good one. Originally, I did this because I didn’t relish the notion of breaking camp (especially if it was raining) at some ungodly-hour of the morning in order to make the 6am check-in for the ferry. As it turned out, this was a good decision for another reason too … this was a fantastic place to stay. Beautifully renovated, the promise of fresh baking for breakfast, and a movie collection to envy … I wish I would have more time, even if only to watch a few days more of the movies! And the proprietress of the B&B, Andrea, was super-nice, and helpful with information about town and the ferry-boarding process. I checked in, unpacked, and grabbed a HOT shower.
· After getting dressed (in something other than synthetic under-gear clothing for a change), I grabbed my camera and set out to see the town and grab some fresh seafood. PR isn’t a big town, and the B&B was relatively close to the waterfront, so I hoofed it.

·
· The fellow rider I had met on the first night (Mark, from Chino … http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....6&postcount=10 ) had recommended a place called Dolly’s Fish Market. He had made some crack about the place being ”fairly fancy” and having “fine linen” on the tables, so I got all dolled-up in my finest outfit (translation: my last pair of clean ginch, and anything that didn’t smell of cigar smoke) and went in search of Dolly’s. As it turns out, Mark must have a pretty dry sense of humor, because the place was a bit more up my alley … not terribly fancy at all. It’s an actual fish market … when you walk in from the street, the room is filled with glass-front cases full of fresh seafood … not unlike a small butcher shop or deli. If you come in far enough, you can see a small seating area to the right … sort of tucked behind the cases and beside the kitchen, seating maybe 20 people. But good seafood? You bet! (And cold beer!) Had calamari to start with, followed by the ‘seafood platter’ (haddock, shrimp, scallops, smoked salmon, and fries). Their target clientele must be 'big' people ... almost everything was deep fried ... but still really good. If you live in a land-locked province and only get fresh seafood a couple of times a year, it can’t be called ‘gluttony’ … more like ‘compressing a year’s worth of something good, into 24hours’.

· After filling my gullet, I wandered out to continue my tour of the water front. I stopped at a beer store on the way home for ‘provisions’ and made my way back to Tall Trees.

· After chatting with Andrea for a few minutes, I headed up to my room to repack everything for an early departure, enjoy some cold bevvies, and watch a couple of movies from Andrea’s extensive collection.
· Milage: 522km
· Libation: Lots … a couple of bottles with dinner, and a random assortment of tall-cans ‘to-go’ from the beerstore.
· Smoke: Not tonight.

Pray4Snow screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 11:18 AM
Pray4Snow is offline   Reply With Quote