User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #31546
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,081
IMS 4.7Gal

IMS 4.7Gal the only issue i have had is that it touched the radiator guard(standard one) when i put it on but with use it must have swelled in that area and didn't touch any more......then

I went and got a Flatlands racing radiator guard as some people said it wont touch and it now touches FFS

so i put a bit of heavy MTB tube cut to shape in there with zip ties and its not an issue.......for now

other than that the only real issue is trying to get that Farkin fuel hose off the bottom of the pump when i want to work on anything PITA

and yes i can use ALL the fuel in this tank

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #31547
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,102
Ims 3.1

No problems whatsoever with mine. So far 3.1 capacity has been fine for my use, however I do have a kolpin can for longer trips if that should ever happen. The original tank was just too small, and I did not want to carry a gas can regularly.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #31548
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Gas Tanks

I bought a 3.1 IMS awhile back. I've had no problems, it mounted easy and doesn't make it any more difficult than the stock tank with regards to removal and unplugging the pump. The stock tank was just too small with my daily use. The IMS has made it much more manageable for the day to day work. I did get the Wolfman rack setup w/ a rotopax for that extra gallon if I ever need to use it.

You just need to look at what use you have for the bike. Will a large tank be better for your typical day or would something just a bit bigger than stock suffice? Only you can answer that.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #31549
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,632
Rē For Sale....

It could happen......I'm considering it.

She's powerfully improved, spot on perfect, race ready for adventure in every way. Wonder if anyone would be interested?

You know I love her. Just ain't riding her much lately, as my Berg is still hogging my attention and coaxing me toward the enduro circuit. Been camping off my F800 the rest of the time, over much longer travels.

It's been a great project and a mighty fine ride. Might be time to say goodbye. I never thought the day would come. Definitely the best bike I've ever owned to date.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #31550
firejosh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Tahuya WA...singletrack and rain...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ms4G...1&feature=plcp
firejosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #31551
ADVNCW
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Thumb Thanks all for input on the gas tanks!

Thanks all for input on the gas tanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhd1223 View Post
I bought a 3.1 IMS awhile back. I've had no problems, it mounted easy and doesn't make it any more difficult than the stock tank with regards to removal and unplugging the pump. The stock tank was just too small with my daily use. The IMS has made it much more manageable for the day to day work. I did get the Wolfman rack setup w/ a rotopax for that extra gallon if I ever need to use it.

You just need to look at what use you have for the bike. Will a large tank be better for your typical day or would something just a bit bigger than stock suffice? Only you can answer that.
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #31552
FreckledAvenger
Trainee Stunt Double

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
While I am on a posting frenzy, I have some thoughts on carrying extra fuel. I have been seeing a lot of people posting about buying these bigger after market tanks, and consequently having plenty of issues with them.

It makes me wonder how much fuel capacity is typically being gained?? And is it worth all the head aches of changing tanks, swapping the fuel pumps( and potentially breaking that angle thing), and the wing/vacuum pump issues?

Unfortunately, I do not have any long trips in my near future, where I would require going a long distance and needing extra fuel. BUT, if I were gonna do a larger fuel consumption setup, it would probably be the stock tank, and two one gallon RotoPax, bolted to the tail rack. That would be 4 gallons of fuel capacity. if I needed more than that, I would potentially also get one of those flexible fuel bladders, for an addition gallon( total 5 gallons)

Thoughts?
In my case it is a resounding "yes". I will concur that I had some concerns about changing the fuel system but in my case I went with the Safari which has a pretty good record and minimises the changes (e.g. keep the stock pump and add a fuel pickup to pull fuel out of the wings). At the time the IMS tanks were new or still being designed so I never looked at them.

The Safari looks pretty good on the bike and aside from noticing my knees were a little more spread in the seated position than when I had the stock tank, I didn't feel there was any difference with the handling even when the tank was full. As a bonus, due to the wings you get a little more crash protection over the stock set up too ...

For me 14L was still not enough for the most recent trip so I supplemented it with a 4L fuel bladder. With this I feel my safe distance is 400kms although I have done 377kms on just the Safari before I chickened out and used the bladder.

Personally, I would definitely go for a larger fuel tank over the rotopax on the back of the bike. On my long trip I was already carrying a lot of weight on the back (especially when I had the bladder fuel and strapped on top of my soft luggage) and the handling was fairly poor once I got onto some of the sandy roads I experienced during the trip. But then again the Safari tank is a fairly expensive option ...

My 2c ...
FreckledAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:19 AM   #31553
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
BUT, if I were gonna do a larger fuel consumption setup, it would probably be the stock tank, and two one gallon RotoPax, bolted to the tail rack. That would be 4 gallons of fuel capacity. if I needed more than that, I would potentially also get one of those flexible fuel bladders, for an addition gallon( total 5 gallons)

Thoughts?
I have the IMS 3.1 and I've had no issues......I also have a 1 gallon Rotopax for longer trips.......

FYI - Rotopax now makes a 1.75 gallon can that's more attractive for use than the old 2 gallon can which was waaay too long to mount on the back of your bike......I have ample range with the 1 gallon but might consider picking up one of those cans for a BFE/Baja Run......same locking hardware as 1 gallon since the depth is only a half inch deeper.

http://www.rotopax.com/RotopaX-1.75-Gallon-Gasoline-Pack.html
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:24 AM   #31554
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
If you're not using it.....blow it out......make some room in the garage for the NEXT project......

You took the WR250R project far and allowed a lot of folks to ride your coat tails to gain insight/tips

Thanks buddy
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:47 AM   #31555
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,790
Thanks for the input guys. I am no where needing more fuel anytime soon, and when I do, it will be a random trip here and there. With that said, 95% of my annual riding, is my normal weekend riding, and for that, the lighter, the better. That is what is making me lean towards having a very easy way to have the extra fuel when I need it, and not have it, when I don't.

For most of my weekend riding, its east coast single track..dodging trees every 3 ft. The less sloshing gas, the better. The KTM 300 EXC was supposed to become the dedicated woods bikes, and leave the WRR for more dirt touring, easy riding duty. BUT, KTM's being KTM's, it has spent as much time in not running condition, as it has running condition.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #31556
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,039
My Safari 3.7 works well and I think the lifting pump will pretty much drain it. I took 3.6 gallons at one stop last September.

Re: Rotopax -

How safe are they in a crash? I have entered the Alcan5000 for 2014 and the rallymaster won't allow them for safety reasons. I need 170 miles fuel range and I'd like to ride my 690R. Since 170 miles would be a stretch I was planning a Rotopax using the Wolfman rack mount. It puts the tank on the side of the bike. Anybody fall off with a Rotopax? Any issues?

I only really need a gallon. Rally Raid has a 1 gallon rear tank that would work but it is $600!
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #31557
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
My Safari 3.7 works well and I think the lifting pump will pretty much drain it. I took 3.6 gallons at one stop last September.

Re: Rotopax -

How safe are they in a crash? I have entered the Alcan5000 for 2014 and the rallymaster won't allow them for safety reasons. I need 170 miles fuel range and I'd like to ride my 690R. Since 170 miles would be a stretch I was planning a Rotopax using the Wolfman rack mount. It puts the tank on the side of the bike. Anybody fall off with a Rotopax? Any issues?

I only really need a gallon. Rally Raid has a 1 gallon rear tank that would work but it is $600!

I think a Rotopax would be the last thing to give in a crash, they are tough. The rallymaster is just not wanting to open the door to extra tanks, let one in then you have to make an argument about every other gas can.

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #31558
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhd1223 View Post
The IMS has made it much more manageable for the day to day work.
That's my experience as well. 90+ mile range on the stocker was basically letting me get to my riding areas and have about 20 miles of fun before starting to frantically look for gas.

The 3.1 basically allows you to be less frenzied about seeking out gas on your normal type rides. The extra 50 miles is a lot when you consider it's 1/2 the range of the stock tank right there.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #31559
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
If you're not using it.....blow it out......make some room in the garage for the NEXT project......

You took the WR250R project far and allowed a lot of folks to ride your coat tails to gain insight/tips

Thanks buddy
Appreciate the kind words. Indeed, it was quite a project. Spent over $10k when all was said & done. I enjoyed seeing what I could achieve with it Man, she sure does run mighty fine now. I've put about 2,000 miles on the Big Bore and it's all been really good. Total miles on bike is currently 10,600.

I remember there was'nt much interest in the WRR when I jumped in way back around page 30 in this thread (Post was in the 500 range, if I recall correctly). Been amazing to see how this thread has grown with contributions from so many. Our WRRdualsport.com site continues to see a tremendous number of page views. Glad all the effort has been so helpful to so many.

A lucky someone is likely to snatch a very impressive machine, unlike any other. Maybe I should hold an auction. Hhhmmm....

One of these days, i'm gonna come do a CORE ride! And yes, I do have a new project in mind. Another real good one! I'm kind of itchin to get started..

HF

P.s. Serious private bids welcome via PM, if interested.

P.s.2 Someone recently posted Yamaha was dropping production on the WRR. Any truth to that? I've not heard this before. I looked on Corporate site and see 2013 models still listed for $6,690 msrp.
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #31560
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post

She's powerfully improved, spot on perfect, race ready for adventure in every way. Wonder if anyone would be interested?

You know I love her. Just ain't riding her much lately, as my Berg is still hogging my attention and coaxing me toward the enduro circuit. Been camping off my F800 the rest of the time, over much longer travels.

It's been a great project and a mighty fine ride. Might be time to say goodbye. I never thought the day would come. Definitely the best bike I've ever owned to date.

HF
Sometimes you just gotta move on. I've been spending the last week doing some of your mods. Even though you are leaving the WR fold, I hope you can keep your site up for others to use - it's been quite a resource.

Hate to say it...but I bet you'll miss selling it someday after all the hard work you put in on that bike and site. But sometimes a new project is what your soul needs RIGHT NOW!

-= Scott

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote