ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #18571
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,678
Tasty lunch today...Me, ddlewis, brendap, freaking RT, higworld & skychs in attendence....

Chicken baguette special

The place

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #18572
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 663
Saturday / Sunday

Hi Jeremy, Saturday is up in the air. However, at the RTE there was some discussion of folks meeting at 295/33 and riding wiggles to Orange where Chuck, myself, and ??? may jump.... got a call into Skydive Orange about their tandem schedule for Sunday... meet time TBD til I hear back from them.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #18573
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 566
Brenda- Nicole's hand is feeling better and she is up for some riding tomorrow if you and anyone else wants to do some of the 13 Skills from the Rawhyde stuff. Text or PM me and I will get back with you.

We were thinking after lunch or so. We are wore out from this week and need our beauty sleep. Well I need mine...
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:42 AM   #18574
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Guy....We're waiting....?
Apologies for the "wait." Had some business I needed to take care of. Also planned on going to the range, but missed out on that too.

Oh well............

Old 11-17-2012, 05:42 AM   #18575
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 663
Todd, Jeremy, check your PMs.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #18576
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,934
Coming soon, summer of 2012

Okay, it is official. I've spoken with my brother-in-law and it has now moved from "a nice idea" to "Thunderbirds are GO!"

The deal? If my 18 y.o nephew graduates on time next June, his graduation present is a 6 week cross country MC trip from Corolla in the OBX (wheels in the ocean) to Oregon along the Trans-America Trail. Just he and I on the road together. He's been riding at our Farm since he was about 12 and is a great, and fearless dirt rider, but now needs to get his learner's permit and start travelling with me. I don't know about him, but I am really pumped about this. I haven't taken a serious road trip since 2007.

So the planning begins. Think I'm going to go with XR650L's since I've had a lot of Hondas. Any help in obtaining them, farkle advice, etc would be appreciated. Am looking at a 2006 XR650L on Cl right now up in Hanover. As soon as I obtain a pair (I don't want to hear any snickers from the peanut gallery) we'll start his train-up with local, then weekend rides. Man it is going to be a huge change to downsize my load capacity from the GS to an XR650. Still, I am really excited.

There, I've gone on record. It will happen, provided Joe holds up his end of the bargain and graduates. I'm pretty sure this might be the incentive he needs to buckle down on the academics. I know it would have worked for me.

So I'm putting off my plans for a return to the Trans-Labrador Highway for another year. Sorry Eddy.

jeff

This is Joe and I on Thansgiving Day 2010, after playing in the mud and roostering cow patties at each other. He is now taller and bigger than I am.

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom

Jeff Munn screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 07:44 AM
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #18577
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Okay, it is official. I've spoken with my brother-in-law and it has now moved from "a nice idea" to "Thunderbirds are GO!"

The deal? If my 18 y.o nephew graduates on time next June, his graduation present is a 6 week cross country MC trip from Corolla in the OBX (wheels in the ocean) to Oregon along the Trans-America Trail. So I'm putting off my plans for a return to the Trans-Labrador Highway for another year. Sorry Eddy.

jeff
Well if he doesn't I will hold up my end...So I will take his place...Just plan on going and remember i probably have a smaller appitite then he does so I would be cheaper.

I say all this cause I'm jealous...you have inspired me to lay out a trip for my son and I this summer. I will also think of a shorter trip for my daughter when she graduates.

Eddy- Trans-Labrador Highway Trip!!! You holding out on me!!! I thought we were friends
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #18578
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 905
Sunday RTJ .... Ride to Jump

Brenda wants to go skydiving on Sunday in Orange VA. Is anyone interested in going to see her jump? If I can find a parachute to jump I may even join her.

A plan is to meet somewhere near 295 and 33 Sunday morning then ride the twisties around Lake Anna up to Orange VA. The event may include a couple hours of waiting to get her trained and on the manifest but the ride up and down, under a parachute is less than 30 minutes.

If anyone else had the gonads to join her just let us know. Its going to be a little chilly so dress warm.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #18579
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Mountain View Marrket & Country Kitchen RTE

I rode out Rte 56 to check out the new "Mountain View Market & Country Kitchen" yesturday. It's located about 2 miles south west of Lowesville. It's just past the elementary school. It will make a nice RTE destination. The same people also own the newly renovated River View General Store in downtown Lowesville. The restaurant is only open Friday, Saturday & Sunday. There's a pretty good selection on the menu. Everything on the menu is also available for "take out" which would be really convienent for anybody camping up on th piney river . See photos of the menu below.

Address: 1900 Lowesville Road ( Rte 778 runs from Rte 151 to Rte 60. )
Amherst, Va 24521

Phone: 434-277-5256

Inside View:

'
Food Shot: 8 oz. handmadw hamburger patty on a Kaiser bun and home made french fires not "fast food" fries.

Menu Shots:

MADSTROM screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 02:01 PM
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #18580
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Brenda wants to go skydiving on Sunday in Orange VA. Is anyone interested in going to see her jump? If I can find a parachute to jump I may even join her.

A plan is to meet somewhere near 295 and 33 Sunday morning then ride the twisties around Lake Anna up to Orange VA. The event may include a couple hours of waiting to get her trained and on the manifest but the ride up and down, under a parachute is less than 30 minutes.

If anyone else had the gonads to join her just let us know. Its going to be a little chilly so dress warm.
I'd love to join you and do another AFF, but I have fooked my budget on gun stuff over the last several weeks. Suffice to say, I'll be eating Ramen noodle soup for a bit AND like it.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #18581
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM View Post
I rode out Rte 56 to check out the new "Mountain View Market & Country Kitchen" yesturday. It,s located about 2 miles south west of Lowesville. It's just past the eIementary school. It will make a nice RTE destination. The same people also own the newly renovated River View General Store in downtown Lowesville. The restaurant is only open Friday, Saturday & Sunday. There's a pretty good selection on the menu. Everything on the menu is also available for "take out" which would be really convienent for anybody camping up on th piney river . See photos of the menu below.

Address: 1900 Lowesville Road ( Rte 778 runs from Rte 151 to Rte 60. )
Amherst, Va 24521

Phone: 434-277-5256
Nice!

Have to put them on my place to eat the next time I am up that way.

Thank you.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #18582
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Finally got back out to the range today. Busy place as they had a cowboy shoot going on.

I've been having an alignment issue with a (ProMag) scope mount for my M14 (M1A), and think I have finally have it resolved.

After red-dotting the neighbor's houses (~50-100 yds.) for the last several evenings, I finally had a chance to get the gun back out to the range with the rear of the scope shimmed with a strip of .020” brass.

Unfortunately, I had fooked with the iron sights after my first (successful) outing with the gun to align it with the laser bore sighter's dot. It was “shooting” way low based on the dot and I adjusted the rear sight to bring it up. Wrong move. Once I got to the range, I have no idea where the initial rounds were going, but I damn sure wasn't hitting the paper. I kept lowering the rear iron sight back to where I remember it being and I finally brought it in. With the gun in a rest, I then adjusted the scope to match it, and bingo – I was right in there. I was a happy camper.

Next up was to change the scope from the M1A to an AR with a 7.62x39 upper. I have never had any windage issues with the mounts on either rifle, so I knew it was going to strictly be an elevation adjustment. After about three rounds, I finally had the scope's hairs adjusted to where those rounds were right in there too. Opposite ends of the scope's latitude of (elevation) adjustment, but I was kind of expecting that.

It was a good day. I am convinced that the ProMag mount has a problem, but I also think the “problem” was being compounded with the end of the flash hider not being in correct alignment with the bore. That was also throwing the laser bore sighter off confusing my feeble brain.

At some point I may pull off the hider to see what a nekked barrel will show, but for now, the guns are going away. I have bikes in the shop I need to work on.

THAT, was my day.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #18583
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
Mickey, I know you know this curve.. Heading west, it's a fairly serious right hand curve on the top of a hill. It seems to me like 270° of a circle and it's very round like a circle and there is almost always gravel on it. also the inside of the circle is a grassy clearing, outside - trees.

You are correct. I checked it just to confirm yesterday. You can never know too much about Rte 56. I'm constantly studying it. The curve is about 1-1/2 miles West of Rte 626. I alway's approach this curve very cautiously because there is always gravel in this turn. Also approaching it from the west the curve flatens out on the down hill side and effectively becomes an off camber turn half way through it. This is a deceptively lethal curve from either direction especially if you are really cooking. Here's some shots of it for those not familiar with it. Be very careful on this very deceptive curve !!

Approaching from west side.

Looking West at apex:

Apex Looking West:

MADSTROM screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 02:04 PM
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #18584
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM View Post
You are correct. I checked it just to confirm yesterday. You can never know too much about Rte 56. I'm constantly studying it. The curve is about 1-1/2 miles West of Rte 626. I alway's approach this curve very cautiously because there is always gravel in this turn. Also approaching it from the west the curve flatens out and effectively becomes an off camber turn half way through it. This is a deceptively lethal curve from either direction especially if you are really cooking. Here's some shots of for those not familiar with it. Be very careful on this very deceptive curve !!
Was there any sign of the accident? Which direction the rider was traveling?
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #18585
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,934
Hey Guy!

If you are needing to work on bikes, come on down to my place. I've got a POS BMW GS which I know you love to work on!

Really, had something happen today on the lift the likes of which I've never seen. Have been having a soft front brake for a while. Rode yesterday for a couple of hours with Zacker, and it kept pumping up, then getting slightly soft. I figured it was time to bleed the front brakes and renew the brake fluid.

So Tony dropped by and we did just that. Bled, brought them up to rock hard pressure, perfect. Tony leaves. An hour later I walk by the GS (still on the lift) and hit the front brakes just to check. Immediately I had an inch sag on full grab. Damn. WTF? So I squeeze it hard a couple of times to get the pressure up, and hold it to see if it will go soft again. Pffsst! The lever hits the bar and brake fluid is shooting across the lift and the floor. Double Damn. The front brake line literally blew out just past the banjo where it comes forward from the ABS system. Never have I seen that happen, but good that it was on the lift.

Quick call to Morton's and a $69.54 brake line is on order. Expensive, but 8 years and 140K of abuse, I think it did pretty well. Perhaps maybe it caught a thrown rock on a trail somewhere and it just weakened the line at that one point over time. Oh well.

Do your due diliegence on maintenance!

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote