Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #71221
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
i have not ridden a purpose-built motard, but i can tell you, you will not be disappointed - a 'tarded dr650 is a beautiful thing, you will be one w/the bike. unless of course, you are like princess johnkol/penelope..
doug s.
+1 on both points, I bought my DR650SM this summer and it is an absolute blast on the back roads and on a good day it does feel like an extension of myself...but I am not a princess (OR a corksniffer) .... FWIW I went from a 150/60 on the rear to a 150/70, not crazy about the looks but that effectively bumped the gearing up about 5% and my bike is much nicer to ride on freeways, it no longer sounds a bit strained at 70-75 mph. I need a front fender like yours for the winter though, the trimmed stocker sends water up and on to the bike and rider.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...cork%20sniffer

victor441 screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 12:23 PM
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #71222
P-P
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkol View Post
Picture a seam without any height difference between the left and right planes; suspension is not involved.
I had the same problem when mine was new. When i hit grooved pavement, or road seams, or any kind of sand it would seem as if the bike was twisting and it really scared me. I kept reading about how great the DR650 was, so I just figured it was my poor riding abilities.
When I went to change my first tire I found that the swingarm bushings were completely wasted - had less than 4000 miles on it. Had them replaced under warranty. After they were replaced the "frame flex" problem went away completely.
Now I've gone from riding a Flexy Flyer to a Sexy Flyer hahaha!
Old 11-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #71223
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmcd View Post
I bet you do have a lot of great time on the DR and the focus of this thread masks it. Brains and "framing" with words are antithetical to the state we seek through riding. But I think we'll agree the bike is always secondary to the ride. Lick the envelope.
Excellent comments!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #71224
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Before someone tries to call BS on that statement, I also went from a sport bike (Ninja 650r) to this bike, and noticed that this does feel much more agile, especially in extremely tight turns where the wider bars give you some leverage. Can't wait to try my bike with supermoto wheels.
The bike I've been the best rider on was my ZX-7R. I think what you're believing is agility is actually a much lower weight, different rake, and possibly the thinner front tire.

Depending on the speed and the road, I could see how a fixed up DR650 would be great, but it's still nowhere in comparison to a ZX through sweeping fast turns. Even if a DR650 did have the HP to keep up, on a more open race track it's flex would be too much for me to care about it.

If a rider's hard turns are at 45 to 65 (or even under, obviously), the DR could seem like the bike to have. The 'agility' of a sport bike comes when you're taking corners faster than most states' top speed limits.
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #71225
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,113
I ride too slowly to notice frame flex.
The main difference compared to my TT350 is inertia.
The extra weight the DR carries.

But compared to some, it carries it well.

With the extra inertia comes a little plushness which is nice.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #71226
johnkol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
For it's intended use and target user ... the suspension is actually not bad, especially considering this was 1996!
I disagree. I weigh 130 lbs and both forks and shock have way too much compression damping. On sharp impacts the forks pack up and deliver a violent jolt to your arms. Shock is even worse because it effectively has no rebound damping, so on successive bumps it becomes airborne and essentially stalls forward momentum of the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
BTW, Rodney was also involved with R&D of the DRZ400. Shame they haven't updated that bike either. It was good in 2000 ... now? Not so much.
I think I can discern a pattern here. I rode a DRZ400E around 2002, and after a relatively short gnarly section my arms were shot: way too much compression damping was transmitting all impacts to my arms -- and the setting had already been adjusted full soft. The Husaberg FE400 that I hopped on immediately afterwards felt like a magic carpet in comparison. So I disagree on the DRZ too: it wasn't good even when it was first introduced.

johnkol screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 11:48 AM
johnkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #71227
DowDuer
!rn00b-aK

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
Good thinking here. My DR behaves in a similar manner when the IMS tank locking gas cap vent gets plugged. (Procycle says to fix it by poking a hole in the rubber disk under the green plastic piece. I've done that and it works for a while, but needs poking with an ice pick every now and then to keep the hole open).

[I]Originally Posted by procycle:
The locking cap has a small rubber disk inside it that acts as a one way valve so fuel doesn't splash out through the internal vent. You can access the disk by removing the rubber gasket and unscrewing the green plastic piece inside the cap. Take a sharp pointed pick and poke a tiny hole in the disk and you will solve the venting issues. The hole should be barely more than a pinhole. If you make the hole too big you might have a small amount of fuel spillage in a tipover.[/I]

Another possibility is the small filter on the breather from the carb. Mine had a tiny piece of rag sucked in there and had similar symptoms to what you describe.

Both of these would be easy to check out.

................shu
I used a few zip ties to secure the kickstand safety switch and then rode 70 miles with no problems so I believe this might be it. I will remove the switch and see if the problem reoccurs when the weather dries out.

My bike seldom sits for more than a couple days as I do not own a car.

DowDuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #71228
jack82
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Big bore kit.

Hi fellas........I'm thinking about getting a DR for a bit of offroad touring.I have a Gas Gas EC300 and an XR650R for the real dirty stuff but have just broken my right ankle so won't be kickstarting for a while.

If I could get a DR close to the XR's performance I'd be happy.

Would a big bore/cammed/carbed/piped DR have similar performance?

Is the Ricor shock/fork valve combo a good setup?

Cheer's Jack.
jack82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #71229
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack82 View Post
Hi fellas........I'm thinking about getting a DR for a bit of offroad touring.I have a Gas Gas EC300 and an XR650R for the real dirty stuff but have just broken my right ankle so won't be kickstarting for a while.

If I could get a DR close to the XR's performance I'd be happy.

Would a big bore/cammed/carbed/piped DR have similar performance?

Is the Ricor shock/fork valve combo a good setup?

Cheer's Jack.
The opinion that seems to be the most prevalent around here is that the suspension is the weakest link. You'll be spending a ton of money and getting a lot done inside that engine to get the HP and torque up to an XR650R's level. However, you can spend a couple hundred bucks and get your forks completely re-done to be pretty solid.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #71230
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
The bike I've been the best rider on was my ZX-7R. I think what you're believing is agility is actually a much lower weight, different rake, and possibly the thinner front tire.

Depending on the speed and the road, I could see how a fixed up DR650 would be great, but it's still nowhere in comparison to a ZX through sweeping fast turns. Even if a DR650 did have the HP to keep up, on a more open race track it's flex would be too much for me to care about it.

If a rider's hard turns are at 45 to 65 (or even under, obviously), the DR could seem like the bike to have. The 'agility' of a sport bike comes when you're taking corners faster than most states' top speed limits.
Sport bikes are obviously going to be better in the sweepers, but what I'm calling "agility" is my way of describing quick transitions from side to side and the way it goes around tight turns where the top speed isn't going to be in sport bike territory. For instance, our crest road up the Sandia mountains is a VERY tightly turning road. There's only a couple of nice sweepers where the sport bikes can let their hair down, but for the rest, even on a 21" front DS tire, I was able to stay comfortably close to some of the lesser riders of the sport bike group. I can imagine that better rubber would make it that much better, as the Shinko 705's did let go on me once or twice.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
Old 11-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #71231
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Question removing the kill switch

I've been having problems getting the bike to start, so I took the starter/kill switch assembly off the bars and decided to clean it. As soon as I popped the kill switch out, it basically disintegrated on me. I guess 12 year old plastic doesn't hold up very well to the New Mexico desert and sun. I never actually used the damn thing because it always stuck closed, so I'm just planning on leaving it off the bike entirely and sealing up the hole with a piece of rubber or something. My questions:
1. Is this okay to do?
2. When I de-solder the orange wires going to the kill switch, do I need to solder them together and make a connection or keep them separated so they cannot make a connection?
3. Anyone else done this before?
4. Why are there 6 wires on one end of the wiring loom and 7 on the other end?

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #71232
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,229
Try a mini momentary push button type switch.My starter button broke into pieces,button fit perfect in the housing.Bought it at Radio Shack.Nice to have a kill switch.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #71233
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor441 View Post
+1 on both points, I bought my DR650SM this summer and it is an absolute blast on the back roads and on a good day it does feel like an extension of myself...but I am not a princess (OR a corksniffer) .... FWIW I went from a 150/60 on the rear to a 150/70, not crazy about the looks but that effectively bumped the gearing up about 5% and my bike is much nicer to ride on freeways, it no longer sounds a bit strained at 70-75 mph. I need a front fender like yours for the winter though, the trimmed stocker sends water up and on to the bike and rider.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...cork%20sniffer

i have a 150/60-17 on the rear, and w/a 16t front sprocket, its gearing is almost identical to stock. i am considering a 150/70-17 when it's time to replace it, for that ~5% taller gearing, but even w/the stock gearing, the bike is pretty composed cruising at 80. and yes, the lower front fender is great; i found the stock fender was pretty-much like having no fender when there was water on the road.

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #71234
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwash View Post
Try a mini momentary push button type switch.My starter button broke into pieces,button fit perfect in the housing.Bought it at Radio Shack.Nice to have a kill switch.

Hm. I guess I'm just not sure exactly how the circuits are setup. When I look at the kill switch, there's four copper pads, and the orange wires appear to be soldered to the back two pads. However, I don't really know what was happening inside the switch when the button was pressed, so I don't know if I should cross the wires together or force them apart. I might check out a radio shack button though. I'm also looking at just getting an entire starter/killswitch/wiring assembly from eBay since some of the wiring looks a little rough as well.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #71235
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
You and MeterPig should both hang out and complain how much the DR sucks. You sure aren't making any friends round these parts and at this point most probably think you're a whiney troll.

Either accept the stock DR for what it is, modify it to want you want it to be or sell the damn thing. It's a 1996 bike deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkol View Post
I disagree. I weigh 130 lbs and both forks and shock have way too much compression damping. On sharp impacts the forks pack up and deliver a violent jolt to your arms. Shock is even worse because it effectively has no rebound damping, so on successive bumps it becomes airborne and essentially stalls forward momentum of the bike.

I think I can discern a pattern here. I rode a DRZ400E around 2002, and after a relatively short gnarly section my arms were shot: way too much compression damping was transmitting all impacts to my arms -- and the setting had already been adjusted full soft. The Husaberg FE400 that I hopped on immediately afterwards felt like a magic carpet in comparison. So I disagree on the DRZ too: it wasn't good even when it was first introduced.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote