Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 06:31 PM   #4261
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,150
TKC's are good for ratbikes and streetfighters.

I would of put them on my SV, but they want WAY too much for them.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #4262
rhlrdr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSportDad View Post
What dip you guys think a fair price for a 07 KLR is? Its kinda beat up. Clutch and brake levers are busted off, rear shock is shot, seat foam feels shot, bike is filthy and has been left outside for what I can assume has been all its life. It has 20k on it. Its a friend of mine and he won't give me price he just wants me to make a offer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
I think it would depend somewhat on what bikes are bringing in your area. I paid 2500$ for a well equipped 07 with less then 5000 miles on it. I don't think any more than $1500 would be resonable and I think that might be to high depending on what you need to do to it to make it work good.
rhlrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #4263
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhlrdr View Post
I don't think any more than $1500 would be resonable and I think that might be to high depending on what you need to do to it to make it work good.
I'm not sure I'd go that high, most likely other issues hiding under the dirt and inside the case. Provided it has a title of course.

edit

Just noticed you're in Cape Coral. We've got a few project bikes in the works, one a 93 650 that just needs the gas tank resealed if you're interested. If not, welcome to swing by and we can go over the finer points of KLR ownership and maintenance. Over beers naturally.
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #4264
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,278
cape coral is about a 8 ish hour drive to gainsville, a little too far for me to bs about KLR's over some beers...lol. i'm sure one of these days we will have the chance though at one of the ADV rides, unless i get some time to travel then you're on!

how much are you looking to get for the 93?

i've been wanting to build a KLRE which is why i want a KLR, i'd really like to find one with a blown motor for next to nothing, shoot even a frame with a title so i can get started.

my friend's would be ok and if he would just tell me what he wanted for it i could tell him yes or no. i'm a cheap bastard (and broke)... if he wasn't a friend i'd offer him $500 for the bike and maybe pay $750. i know if he put a few bucks and a little bit of time into his bike he could get $2500 for it... at least i would think he could. cause of that i'd feel bad offering him any less even though i know he couldn't sell it for that in it's current condition.

thanks for all the opinions everyone, you guys have given me a good idea of what the bike is worth.
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #4265
Brunssd
Potemkin villager

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
For the record, it'll probably be 70 street, 30 offroad. I just want something that'll wear good on the street so I won't have to buy a new set every few months, but something I can use offroad when I feel adventurous.
Avon Gripsters. A true 70/30 tire and I've made 18,000 kilometers out of a rear.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #4266
skiridefastforever
Wannabe

Oddometer: 3
I finally did the dooh, and the Torsion spring and the deep hole problem. I have a question for the experts. If one of the thrust washers did fall into the engine from the behind the idler sprocket, would there be any noticeable change in the engine? My idler sprocket came loose on me when I pulled the inner cover and I put it back and didn't see anything in the engine but would it go back together and start if it were missing a thrust washer? I took it on a test ride, seemed ok. Would the engine start and sound ok if a thrust washer had fallen in?
skiridefastforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #4267
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiridefastforever View Post
I finally did the dooh, and the Torsion spring and the deep hole problem. I have a question for the experts. If one of the thrust washers did fall into the engine from the behind the idler sprocket, would there be any noticeable change in the engine? My idler sprocket came loose on me when I pulled the inner cover and I put it back and didn't see anything in the engine but would it go back together and start if it were missing a thrust washer? I took it on a test ride, seemed ok. Would the engine start and sound ok if a thrust washer had fallen in?
Noticeable change? No, but it won't stay that way. The thrust washer is there for a reason. You need to pull the bike back apart and verify if the washer is there or not. If not you need to find it. I've fished a few of them out of the sump. It isn't that difficult.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #4268
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunssd View Post
Avon Gripsters. A true 70/30 tire and I've made 18,000 kilometers out of a rear.
Holy balls that's a lot of mileage for a bike tire.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #4269
skiridefastforever
Wannabe

Oddometer: 3
Is there one or two washers? initially I thought there was only one, which is why I reassembled the thing. Then I read in some other directions that there are two, one with a smaller diameter that typically falls in.
skiridefastforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #4270
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiridefastforever View Post
Is there one or two washers? initially I thought there was only one, which is why I reassembled the thing. Then I read in some other directions that there are two, one with a smaller diameter that typically falls in.
There is one on the back side of the Idler. The front one is behind the C-Clip and not going anywhere. The one you may be thinking on the front is the washer for the adjuster bolt. Thus why you only loosen the adjuster bolt during normal maintenance.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #4271
schaffer40
I look lived in.....

Oddometer: 375
Opinions on changing the gap on an NGK Irridium plug?

Punk Rock Changed My Life- The Minutemen
schaffer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #4272
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSportDad View Post
What dip you guys think a fair price for a 07 KLR is? Its kinda beat up. Clutch and brake levers are busted off, rear shock is shot, seat foam feels shot, bike is filthy and has been left outside for what I can assume has been all its life. It has 20k on it. Its a friend of mine and he won't give me price he just wants me to make a offer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
I'd be leery about paying more than $500.
You're going to have to do a lot of work and may need parts.
Plus, if you pay more and get stuck with expensive parts and labor, you'll hate your friend.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #4273
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
I'd be leery about paying more than $500.
You're going to have to do a lot of work and may need parts.
Plus, if you pay more and get stuck with expensive parts and labor, you'll hate your friend.
Yup. That $500 offer will keep the friendship swimming along nicely. You'd be much better off (friendship speaking) keeping your mouth shut.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #4274
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,278
Yeah I'm just going to keep my mouth shut. Of he shoots me a offer that sounds reasonable I'll take a serious look at the bike and see if its worth it. If its not I'll try and help him get it up to par of what he wants for it and he can sell it to someone else.

It'd be nice if a 08+ with a blown motor would fall into my lap. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #4275
schaffer40
I look lived in.....

Oddometer: 375
Sometimes this motorcycle pisses me off. Trying to get a bunch of projects done today. Last up a new SS front brake line install. I removed one screw from the master cylinder (easy money) the 2nd one immediately spun the head out. So I quit at that point and started drinking. I will try getting it out tomorrow with the worlds smallest easy out...hopefully.

FUCK!!

Punk Rock Changed My Life- The Minutemen
schaffer40 is offline   Reply With Quote