Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #3661
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
So how's the show? Get a chance to sit on the bike?
Don't know yet - about to leave the house in a few minutes ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #3662
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post
Not to put too fine a point on it, but no effing way. There's no "adventure" draw to that part of SoCal. They won't pick the venue for the potential market, but for the place that gives the best combination of backdrop and riding. Witness: North Georgia for the K16.
More Starbucks in S. Cali then the rest of the world. Starbucks will make make a great backdrop for all those fully farkled GS that never so much as get dusty....

Regards, Paul
Old 11-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #3663
Beemerlover
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
More Starbucks in S. Cali then the rest of the world. Starbucks will make make a great backdrop for all those fully farkled GS that never so much as get dusty....

Regards, Paul
Damn! Ya beat me to it. I was about to say almost those exact words.

Great minds think alike, I guess!
Beemerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #3664
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
So how's the show? Get a chance to sit on the bike?
For us, the show was worth it. We were looking for a potential new bike for my wife and she had a chance to sit on everything that was even remotely interesting - even on the GS. She can pretty much flat foot it with her 5'7" and 32" inseam.

I think the GS looks better (less "sporky") in person, the windshield adjustment is pretty good, looks like it might give a fairly turbulence free ride, it felt fairly light, the seat was much better than on the older GS, felt more like the seat of the RT.

So, overall I really liked it. Will take a test ride when the demo bikes come in. Not sure whether it's for me. I got the R1200R bug again, which was also the most interesting bike for my wife.

But have to admit, compared to any of the European bike shows, the IMS is a freaking joke. Two very small exhibition halls barely filled. But at least most of the manufacturers were there, not many aftermarket guys though. Next time I plan my European vacation around Intermot or so.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #3665
petzi-baer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Definitely looks better in real life

Just back from the bike show in San Mateo, and BMW had the new R1200GS and HP4 to show. Although it is heavier it looks to me more compact, than the outgoing model. And yes you can sit on it .....

Didn't spent too much time, but the BMW guy was answering lots of questions and from what I overheard not all details are settled for the US model.

Petzi-baer
petzi-baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #3666
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by petzi-baer View Post
Just back from the bike show in San Mateo, and BMW had the new R1200GS and HP4 to show. Although it is heavier it looks to me more compact, than the outgoing model. And yes you can sit on it .....
It was on the center stand when I swung a leg over it. Pegs felt a bit higher... then I remembered I put the after market pegs that are on my current GS in the low position.

One thing I noticed is that the radiator shrouds that really stand out in the images don't do so as much in real life. Anyway, some misc images:

Lots of knee room

Luggage rack detail

Radiator detail

Note the small bit of fixed clear plastic under the adjustable portion of the windshield. The gap between the fixed and variable portions increases as the shield is raised. I think that will result in less turbulence for the rider. Hope so, anyway.

This bike had halogen lamps
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #3667
cug
--

Leg room was great:

The bike looks small in that shot as the camera was relatively high. I'm 6', 34" inseam.

Comparison:

Felt great, too.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #3668
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
You look pretty good on that R. Some say we buy the GS despite of it's looks and not because of it, BMW should consider making a more visually pleasant one (even asking more for it) :-). Love that new beak shape, well, it will grow on me.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #3669
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
You look pretty good on that R.
It was pretty comfortable - surprisingly. I had my hiking boots on, so even slightly thicker soles, but it was actually pretty comfortable.

Also a pretty good fit:

Old 11-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #3670
ridepjride
Migrant

Oddometer: 298
Cutaway drawings from BMW's 3-ring binder at San Mateo show today. Plastic covers messed up clarity, but you can see the basics.

ridepjride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #3671
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
I've lookled at this before, curious if BMW changed the part number for the small European LED turn signals,
they look similar to the 2012 turn signals but who knows, a small difference and there goes hard earned EUR 160...

Something like this would be nice:
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:59 PM   #3672
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
This bike had halogen lamps
I noticed this standard halogen lights does not have the daylight running lights below the high beam, it as the empty space. Does it mean that the DRL is an option as well?
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:08 AM   #3673
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post
Not to put too fine a point on it, but no effing way. There's no "adventure" draw to that part of SoCal. They won't pick the venue for the potential market, but for the place that gives the best combination of backdrop and riding. Witness: North Georgia for the K16.
K1600 is a touring bike, so okay Georgia worked. Any place in California, definitely can be the home of he GS. Especially in SoCal, we have mountains. We have desert (sand). We have rocks. Changing elevations. Scenery. All of these welcome GS type bikes, hence riders. We even have BMW's official GS training center in Angeles National Forest mountains. Well Starbucks too! Panera Bread too, if that helps. I'm just say'n
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #3674
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,278
BMW's US headquarters is on the East coast..............

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:00 AM   #3675
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
I noticed this standard halogen lights does not have the daylight running lights below the high beam, it as the empty space. Does it mean that the DRL is an option as well?
There are 3 headlight option:

Halogen with small normal tungsten light and presumably the low beam is fixed on as it is now.
Halogen with LED DRL below the high beam.
Full LED low beam, high beam and kinda horseshoe DRL round the high beam.
It's been suggested that the full LED might not be avaliable in the states. You guys will know better about that than me but none of the show bikes have had the LED lights so it might be correct.
Marki_GSA is online now   Reply With Quote