Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #301
kpmsprtd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Planning on purchasing the CB1100, not in the initial rush in March/April, but the following winter. Spent a lot of time with it today at the San Mateo, California bike show. It represents everything I want in a motorcycle. The red paint is even darker and more beautiful than I expected based on Internet photos. Seating position seems perfect based on multiple sits, but no ride. Demo rides by Harley, Yamaha, and Can-Am only.
kpmsprtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:50 AM   #302
Knave
Feigning Interest

Oddometer: 5,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmsprtd View Post
Planning on purchasing the CB1100, not in the initial rush in March/April, but the following winter. Spent a lot of time with it today at the San Mateo, California bike show. It represents everything I want in a motorcycle. The red paint is even darker and more beautiful than I expected based on Internet photos. Seating position seems perfect based on multiple sits, but no ride. Demo rides by Harley, Yamaha, and Can-Am only.

How tall are you? It looks a little cramped for a taller guy to me. Thanks.
Knave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:08 AM   #303
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
kpmsprtd

Did you take any pictures at the show you could post for us to see? I'd love to see one in person. I'm getting the first one my dealer gets. March/April sounds like a long time to wait.
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #304
Tod.
Old, but up for it

Oddometer: 32
I had a look at these 1100s at the cologne show last month, Bloody hell the looked small, low seat etc. I`m a shortarse and I thought they`d even fit me!

The finish of the old style candy red paint was beautiful.

Tod. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #305
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,469
I've only seen the pics, but I Iike this bike. The probable short range is a problem, but otherwise it pushes a lot of buttons. I see it as a direct competitor to the Bonneville more than anything else.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #306
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Tod

Thanks for the great pictures. That red reminds me of the red tank on my new 1968 Norton P11A Ranger. Simply beautiful.
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:22 AM   #307
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,054
Tough choice between the CB and one of these:

Very different performance specs and a different way of providing the same kind of retro experience, but fun looking nonetheless. I love the V7 racer, but my middle aged body unfortunately doesn't. The Stone with the cast wheels is my 2nd choice.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #308
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,175
The small size is my biggest concern as well. I'm waiting to try one on before I get too excited, but it's such a pretty bike. Compared to those V7's it makes them look like garden tractors in comparison. I'd love to see honda get back in the game with some really cool bikes - a VFR1200 engined standard like the old V65 Sabre from back in the day would be sweet. The V motor causes the bike to be a bit taller and roomier, and the V motor! Oh man...without a doubt the best street motorcycle engine ever created is the old V4's from the early 80's....

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #309
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Question ? range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
I've only seen the pics, but I Iike this bike. The probable short range is a problem, but otherwise it pushes a lot of buttons. I see it as a direct competitor to the Bonneville more than anything else.
You must be planning some remote travels. Don't worry about needing more than 75-100 miles of tank range most any place in the US, including Utah and Nevada. Even the lonesome Nevada HWY 50 has gas every 100 miles.

Art
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #310
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenuf View Post
You must be planning some remote travels. Don't worry about needing more than 75-100 miles of tank range most any place in the US, including Utah and Nevada. Even the lonesome Nevada HWY 50 has gas every 100 miles.

Art
Short range is ok for riders who only ride in known areas where they know where and when fuel is available or for those that only commute or maybe those who stick to major highways and well planned routes.

I don't like riding major highways and try to avoid cities. I hate having to detour to get gas.

I've owned two bikes with short ranges. I liked them both a lot, but the short range was a PIA. I often had to stop at 50 or 75 miles to fuel up to have enough to make the next leg. Most of the time I don't have a set route in mind when touring, just a general direction. Its a bummer to have to pass up a spur of the moment detour because you don't know if Eyeball Arkansas has a staion or not.

As for the "I'm ready to take a break at 100 miles anyway crowd" I can always find better, more scenic places to take a break than a gas station.

To each his own.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #311
darmahman
"Illogically Deluded"

Oddometer: 2,757
Fyi - 75 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenuf View Post
you must be planning some remote travels. Don't worry about needing more than 75-100 miles of tank range most any place in the us, including utah and nevada. Even the lonesome nevada hwy 50 has gas every 100 miles.

Art
darmahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #312
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmahman View Post
Fyi - 75 mpg
No way will this bike get 75 mpg. I'd be shocked if it got 75 mpg using those funny imperial gallons.
If it does get 75, I'm in
Old 11-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #313
dpg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
I too am trying to make a decision between a Moto Guzzi v7 Stone and the CB1100. I like the sound of the Moto Guzzi alot and it probably has a little more "character" than the Honda. The v7 is quite a bit lighter too. I like light smaller bikes like my current ride, cbr250. Of course the drawing of the new BMW retro has me intrigued as well.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #314
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,299
Anybody know how small/large the gas tank is?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #315
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Range?

Well I guess I do stop and stretch at least every 1-2 hours, and I find the gas stops in small towns are usually the place to get gas and grab a snack, and sometimes meet an occasional fellow traveler, so if the gas tank holds 3-4 gallons and I am getting 45 mpg I usually am in good shape. I have traveled the 2 lane roads all over the less populated parts of the west part of the US without ever running out of gas.

Art
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote