Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 10:39 PM   #16
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
Also, we seem to be discussing a couple of different things. Ratcheting wrenches are NOT a substitute for combination wrenches -- whatever their pedigree, the ratcheting mechanisms can't withstand nearly the same force.

The solution, of course, is to buy both...
have had no problems with generating enough torque with ratcheting wrenches. but when space is really tight... a normal Snap-on box end will fit, but a ratchet box end is too big.

when you have plenty of room, especially with long rusted threads. ratcheting wrenches sure are handy.

got both Blue Point and Snap-on ratcheting wrenches. both work equally well .. Snap-on version has a slightly nicer finish. when buying primarily used, like me... it's really luck of the draw on what comes up for sale.

yes .. you need both... ratcheting wrenches are NOT a replacement for standard box end wrenches.
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:35 AM   #17
slidewayes
slidewayes

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
SnapOn
Got to love a gal that rides and buys Snap On
slidewayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:22 AM   #18
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,902
Snap-On,Craigslist,Ebay and a tough economy are beneficial to those seeking a bargain on top shelf tools.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #19
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 668
there is a joke here ,somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidewayes View Post
Got to love a gal that rides and buys Snap On
Must not get banned ,must resist !

That said ,most of what has been said is accurate . blue point ,good tool to use ,snap on best for feel and resale . ratchet wrenches great advance in hand tools, not for tight places,no one I know has broken one. Proto ,Blackhawk have re surged in this market due to Mac ,Stanley connection . Mac very nice tools ,dealers whereabouts currently unknown
Regards,Ed

pennswoodsed screwed with this post 11-18-2012 at 02:23 PM Reason: to,too,two ,your,you're
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #20
KawiVA76
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
I'm a tech for Mercedes, have about 8 years in the business. Own a set of flank drive snap on wrenches and a set of ratcheting blue point wrenches. Use the blue points literally every day on almost every job I do. Use the 22mm to turn the head on my oil filter wrench. In eight years the 22 mm needed to have the internals replaced about two years ago under warranty. That is the sole failure and I beat the hell out of these things. You'll be fine with them.

Mike
KawiVA76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #21
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,074
as a side note.... the Flank Drive PLUS combo wrench has nice teeth in the open end. While they may resist rounding off a bit, they tear up fasteners, and I have to be carefull to NOT use them on any motorcycle, let alone my beloved vintage. I would never buy them again.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #22
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
as a side note.... the Flank Drive PLUS combo wrench has nice teeth in the open end. While they may resist rounding off a bit, they tear up fasteners, and I have to be carefull to NOT use them on any motorcycle, let alone my beloved vintage. I would never buy them again.
flank drive plus is just another flavor ... needed on certain applications too tight to allow box end. open end only, where flank drive plus keeps nut from slipping.

I've got both ...
Old 11-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #23
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
flank drive plus is just another flavor ... needed on certain applications too tight to allow box end. open end only, where flank drive plus keeps nut from slipping.

I've got both ...

Um, ah, I know what it's FOR Roto-tilling the fasteners on a customers car may be accepatable at the stealerships.. not in my garage.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #24
Rd650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Originally Posted by Rd650
Snapon=Lifetime warranty on hand tools
Blue Point= No lifetime warranty on hand tools.
Look at the online catalog for country of origin

Quote:
You have been misinformed , Blue Point has a lifetime warranty just like Snap On .

For a home mechanic , to save some money , Craftsman would be another option .
Good news I have a bunch of Blue Point stuff.
Rd650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:46 AM   #25
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,902
I have flank drive + and they're great for removing stubborn fasteners. It's what they're for IMO.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #26
KawiVA76
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Um, ah, I know what it's FOR Roto-tilling the fasteners on a customers car may be accepatable at the stealerships.. not in my garage.
Granted plenty of that goes on. Every profession is full of unqualified people. I replace any damaged bolts. For example the steering wheel center bolt that some independent shop apparently decided needed thread lock and about 400 nm. of torque. Took a 24 inch breaker bar and three of us to remove it, lol. The hex corners were starting to raise and crack right before it broke loose. We have 21 guys in our shop. I'm a master tech with 8 years on. I'd say about 7 of us are top notch techs. Another 10 are good guys that are learning and put a good honest days work in. We have four guys that are thieves and hacks. Those types always get caught on their bs at some point. The good dealers boot them, the bad ones lose all of their good techs because they won't put up with it. But it is everywhere in the business to one degree or another.
KawiVA76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:30 PM   #27
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,429
6point or 12point sockets

my search fuu is weak and this is the best thread I have found

12 point sockets or 6 point sockets?

Most of mine are 12point becuase - well, I dont know, just because, but I ned to buy some more to fill some gaps and talking with a mater recently, he was all for 6 point.

whats the collective opinion?

thanks

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:52 PM   #28
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
If you have mainly 12 point then stick with those, also they are ment for higher torque than 6 point.
I mostly have six point and what 12 point ones I need.
1greenmachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:03 PM   #29
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greenmachine View Post
If you have mainly 12 point then stick with those, also they are ment for higher torque than 6 point.
I mostly have six point and what 12 point ones I need.
both 6 point and 12 have flank drive for Snap-on .. but Snap-on is no longer the only mfg to use this feature.

Snap-on sockets have cut outs in corners .. this allows flats to grab nut on the sides.

Snap-on patented this years ago but patents has expired

_cy_ screwed with this post 05-26-2014 at 08:14 PM
Old 05-26-2014, 09:51 PM   #30
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,429
Thanks
That is pretty much as I thought
all but 1 of my day to day sockets are Facom and they are good and have the radiused edges etc

12 point it is

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is online now   Reply With Quote