Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #2086
bmwhd
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKjitsu View Post
Your 2006 is (or should be) a Gen II bike. So the seat, bar ends, and risers will move right over to a Gen III (2013).

How you likin that Sargent?
The Sargent is a good product. Big win over the OEM seat. Not as good as a custom seat but a big step up.

If I was going to go back to serious LD riding, I'd get a custom but for my 1-3 day trips, it's perfect.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:39 AM   #2087
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd View Post
Must resist urge to go into debt further...

I'm starting to get the fever. My '06 is set up so well for me and doesn't have a thing wrong with it but dang I like the improvements on the '13. Hmm...

It looks like my stem mount, cans, blinky tail lights and top box will likely fit, don't need to move the cruise or heated grips, not sure about the Sargent seat but I would lose my windshield.

I imagine the HIDs would move over so that leaves my lithium battery, bar ends, grips, bar risers to consider...

Wonder how much just to paint the top box?
I hear ya, ever since I dun got my '07 (In '10) I knew this wuz the bike fer me. Butt, the mods on the '13 are tasty 'n tempting.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #2088
SlowRoll
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,325
I'm not tempted by the new '13. My old '04 runs strong, has MCcruise, and is paid for. The only thing I want is to upgrade the suspension.
SlowRoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #2089
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 457
My new '09 AE is just fine... but I wouldn't mind the cruise control. I can buy a lot of farkles for the difference in price. If they bring in the AE/AS model... then I'll reconsider.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #2090
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
PCIII + cat simulator

Does anyone here run a PCIII on their FJR, and if you do, do you also run the cat eliminator plug? I have been running a PCIII for years with no other mods, with the O2 sensor disconnected (this was the recommended configuration from Dynojet). However recently I became aware that they came out with an O2 sensor plug that is nothing but two resistors across the 4 wires. Some have said the adaptation in the FJR ECU does weird things if it senses a sensor missing, even if no code is thrown. The plug does something and fools the ECU into thinking an O2 sensor is there but doing nothing I guess. This was not apparent or known 5 years ago when I fitted the PCIII and I have lost touch with the cranky old hardcore FJR folks since.

The PCIII improved things a lot at the time but lately I've been wondering just what its tiny little brain is doing about the open O2 sensor socket.

Any feedback rumor innuendo or just plain SWAG appreciated. I have a 2007 with the altitude fix updated ECU.
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #2091
VascoS
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hi fred. Mine is also a 2007 with the altitude fix. I dont run a PCIII, I have considered it a while ago but it was too expensive (here in Europe at least..), I didn't want any performance improvement only a fix to the lean surge. This summer I got that O2 sensor plug and yes it's basically a plug with two resistors, but it did make a very significant improvement!! if you disconnect the sensor, the bike will give a error because it cannot read any value, mind you the ECU doesn't connect with the sensor in any tecno-USB-like system! it merely reads resistance values which is what the O2 sensor outputs. With the plug the bike doesn't give you the error because it can now read something, only catch is the reading for the sensor is always the same, the ECU is sufficiently idiot not to understand something is out of the ordinary... :-)

What I was told from a friend that recommended it to me, is that the plug resistance values "fool" the ECU in delivering more fuel to the engine in a closed throttle. This has the huge advantage that when opening the throttle the bike will now be much smoother, because there is not an abrupt fuel flow increase. You also notice the bike has less engine braking. In my case it also improved fuel mileage slightly!

It's cheap, so no big risk in trying. But I cannot say how it will work with a PCIII.

Cheers.
V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred flintstone View Post
Does anyone here run a PCIII on their FJR, and if you do, do you also run the cat eliminator plug? I have been running a PCIII for years with no other mods, with the O2 sensor disconnected (this was the recommended configuration from Dynojet). However recently I became aware that they came out with an O2 sensor plug that is nothing but two resistors across the 4 wires. Some have said the adaptation in the FJR ECU does weird things if it senses a sensor missing, even if no code is thrown. The plug does something and fools the ECU into thinking an O2 sensor is there but doing nothing I guess. This was not apparent or known 5 years ago when I fitted the PCIII and I have lost touch with the cranky old hardcore FJR folks since.

The PCIII improved things a lot at the time but lately I've been wondering just what its tiny little brain is doing about the open O2 sensor socket.

Any feedback rumor innuendo or just plain SWAG appreciated. I have a 2007 with the altitude fix updated ECU.
VascoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #2092
BruceWA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Pdm60

Have any of you tried or are using the Rowe Electronics PDM60 power controller? If so I'm interested in your opinion and mounting options.

http://www.rowe-electronics.com/modules

BruceWA screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 01:39 PM
BruceWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:54 AM   #2093
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VascoS View Post
Hi fred. Mine is also a 2007 with the altitude fix. I dont run a PCIII, I have considered it a while ago but it was too expensive (here in Europe at least..), I didn't want any performance improvement only a fix to the lean surge. This summer I got that O2 sensor plug and yes it's basically a plug with two resistors, but it did make a very significant improvement!! if you disconnect the sensor, the bike will give a error because it cannot read any value, mind you the ECU doesn't connect with the sensor in any tecno-USB-like system! it merely reads resistance values which is what the O2 sensor outputs. With the plug the bike doesn't give you the error because it can now read something, only catch is the reading for the sensor is always the same, the ECU is sufficiently idiot not to understand something is out of the ordinary... :-)

What I was told from a friend that recommended it to me, is that the plug resistance values "fool" the ECU in delivering more fuel to the engine in a closed throttle. This has the huge advantage that when opening the throttle the bike will now be much smoother, because there is not an abrupt fuel flow increase. You also notice the bike has less engine braking. In my case it also improved fuel mileage slightly!

It's cheap, so no big risk in trying. But I cannot say how it will work with a PCIII.

Cheers.
V.
Hi VascoS,
Yes that lean surge is one of the issues I'd like to fix, it is still there but not as bad with the PCIII. It is interesting that on the Dynojet website they have a map specifically for the euro version with O2 plug and O2 sensor disconnected, the other maps do not mention O2 plug at all but do mention disconnected O2 sensor. I may try the euro map too.

That era Yamaha seemed to really not pay a lot of attention to ECU and software very much. I have had several of their bikes 06-08 and the fuel mapping was not so good. Motors themselves (the metal bits) are brilliant. Also were some final assembly issues but that was not design per se. The altitude problem drove me crazy but they eventually fixed it. Maybe an issue WRT labor vs too many varying emissions regs worldwide who knows.

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:28 AM   #2094
20valves
Yamaholic

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred flintstone View Post
...The altitude problem drove me crazy but they eventually fixed it....
I fixed mine by twisting the throttle past 20% during significant altitude changes,
Old 11-19-2012, 06:46 AM   #2095
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valves View Post
I fixed mine by twisting the throttle past 20% during significant altitude changes,
That doesn't fix it, it makes it worse. It was really annoying having douchebag service rep types tell me that over and over. It turns out the software only updated ambient pressure every so often, and when you rode aggressively in big mountain terrain it quickly got out of whack very fast. Stalling repeatedly when you'd try to pass or give it some throttle etc. However if you stopped and shut it off sensor would reset and you'd be good to go for another 1000 feet or so. Bike was unrideable where I lived at the time, would ride from 6k ft to 12 k ft often and hard.

About a year later after a lot of back and forth with Yamaha, I got a letter about an updated ECU. Fixed the problem and has not come back.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #2096
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWA View Post
Rode the C14, l the C14 had more power and the screen worked very well.
So what swayed you over to the new FJR over the C14?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWA View Post
Have any of you tried or are using the Rowe Electronics PDM60 power controller? If so I'm interested in your opinion and mounting options.

http://www.rowe-electronics.com/modules
There are a few threads in the Equipment forum.. here's one of them:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638076

GB screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 02:40 PM
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #2097
BruceWA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
So what swayed you over to the new FJR over the C14?

There are a few threads in the Equipment forum.. here's one of them:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638076
The FJR fits me better and I have a hsitory with Yamaha that is positive, not so with Kawasaki.

Thanks I'll take a look here
Old 11-30-2012, 03:41 AM   #2098
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,162
Anybody know what is going on with the fjrforum?
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:49 AM   #2099
harfooz
FJR1300 / FLHX

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
Looks like they might be in the middle of a forum upgrade. (Do forum upgrades ever go smoothly??)

'fooz
Old 11-30-2012, 06:16 AM   #2100
nevermind
Swamp Thing

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
Looks like an upgrade with extensive post-upgrade challenges and opportunities.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote