ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 03:45 AM   #1546
zeroblah
Snot nosed kid

Oddometer: 317
Nocluelulu i found this thread and immediately thought of you, dont know if you've looked at it yet. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836500
Old 11-17-2012, 07:55 AM   #1547
papa_j OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol76r View Post
My trail blazing journey today was a mixture of pleasure and pain, mostly pain. The run was met with several fences that i couldn't cross, but had to follow back to a road to get around. Riding through waist high brush and facing impassable sandstone ledges was par for the course. I rode lease roads for short periods before taking game or cow trails up to the next FENCE. I was getting bummed by the lack of forward progress and the cold was starting to get to me. i followed a wash for about 2 miles before coming up to another FENCE and finally turning around. Frustrated by the path i had taken i took lease roads back towards pump canyon and then on to the house. I figure i only made about 6-7 miles of progress in about 2 1/2 hours. I will definately wait for warmer weather and do a little scouting before i try again. I will do this.......
I wanted to share some thoughts on trail blazing. I am frequently conflicted on matter of new trails. While I don’t know who made the new trail through the glade; they consciously on unconsciously made some design choices that will keep the trail free from four wheelers and mountain bikers. The trail has enough narrow passages through trees and ridge tops to keep off anyone who needs greater than a foot or two to get through. The trail has enough wash to keep the mountain bikers from enjoying the trail. While people can “braid” out the trail to make it past these obstacles keeping an eye out for ways to keep the trail tight is definitely worthwhile in my opinion. Colorado has the benefits of having dense scrub and windfalls to keep the trails tight (cutting only a narrow passage through a downed tree).

I also would consider having a couple of technical obstacles (not ledges I fucking hate ledges) early on to keep the casual four wheeler or side-by-side rider from wanting to poke around the beginning of the trail.

Once someone has a clearly demarcated trail worked in we should try to meet as a bigger group to work the trail in. I honestly think that it takes years of riding a trail before it is really broken in so if we need to modify the course of the trail early on I don't think that it is a problem.

What do you guys think?
papa_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #1548
zeroblah
Snot nosed kid

Ledges are awesome, as long as it goes down. I had talked to a gentleman one time about how long it takes to really break in a trail. it was something along the lines of one rider a year. if you add in more riders the time reduces dramatically. but im all for it. One question i have is, eben though it is BLM land, should/do we need to let the feds know about it, would it be in our best interests to keep said trail from being a "rogue" trail.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #1549
papa_j OP
Studly Adventurer

Going to hit the glade tomorrow. 10:00 at the glade entrance.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #1550
Brainless_1
Loose Nut!

Oddometer: 1,713
What trail?
Brainless_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:49 AM   #1551
papa_j OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainless_1 View Post
What trail?
Probably the same one we did a couple of weekends ago.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:14 AM   #1552
Ol76r
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
[QUOTE=pappa_j;20063965]I wanted to share some thoughts on trail blazing. I am frequently conflicted on matter of new trails. While I don’t know who made the new trail through the glade; they consciously on unconsciously made some design choices that will keep the trail free from four wheelers and mountain bikers.QUOTE]

Matt from DM welding told me he made a new trail through the Glade. Him and his posse ride in packs of 40, new trails can be established in a day.
Ol76r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:21 AM   #1553
papa_j OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappa_j View Post
Going to hit the glade tomorrow. 10:00 at the glade entrance.
How about 11?
Old 11-18-2012, 06:31 AM   #1554
Brainless_1
Loose Nut!

Quote:
Probably the same one we did a couple of weekends ago.
u m ya I am not taking Doug on that one
Old 11-18-2012, 06:38 AM   #1555
papa_j OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainless_1 View Post
u m ya I am not taking Doug on that one
We can cut out the ridges.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #1556
Brainless_1
Loose Nut!

Quote:
We can cut out the ridges.

He wants to go really bad but I have a ton to get done so I dont know what I am gonna do I simply dont have alot of time today. I have all my tools and such from the old job scattered about and I really need to look through my new work truck to see whats on it
Old 11-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #1557
papa_j OP
Studly Adventurer

Super Extreme Enduro Training Take One

So in post number 1547 in thread Riding -> Regional Forums -> The Rockies – It’s all downhill from here… -> Sunday Day Trips in Northwest New Mexico I gave some of my opinions on new trail planning. In said post I stated. “I also would consider having a couple of technical obstacles (not ledges I fucking hate ledges) early on to keep the casual four wheeler or side-by-side rider from wanting to poke around the beginning of the trail.” It dawned on me today that I could potentially be one of the “casual” riders who is deterred by a bit of technical trail. I thought; “Great I’ll be the noob that cannot ride a trail because it was too technical.” I couldn’t live with that thought. Something had to be done. Now I never want to be the fastest but I sure as hell don’t want to be the slowest rider of the group (that was my role last year).

Where do people go to get better on technical terrain? Moab. Where do people go once they figure out that riding in Moab sucks dead donkey balls? White Wash. Where do people go when they only have an hour and a half of riding time, don’t want to miss dinner, have to build shelves in their son’s closet before thanksgiving, and have to dig through storage for the Christmas decorations? The Glade.

Despite begging I couldn’t get anyone out with me today so I figured why not go out and work on some drills and technique.

The plan was simple; 1) full lock figure eights, 2) ledges, 3) double blip, 4) safety, and 5) other technical sundries (please note safety is forth just to chop heads with the fictional character “The most interesting man alive”). Just to make it more difficult I decided not to sit. If the faster riders don’t sit, I will stop sitting. Now all I needed was a secluded patch of technical terrain with ledges to throw myself around on.

To make a long story short (too late) I got a bit more comfortable on technical stuff and I didn’t break anything.

http://youtu.be/Xb-6bP4sQAU

Don't let the "fish eye" view of the camera fool you. That ledge was like 5-7 inches tall. I think the last thing that fell off that baby ledge was a slightly inebriated gerbil with a horrible limp from a gout flare. Seriously. That little bush stopped me. I must have been traveling like 2 miles an hour.

http://youtu.be/sBBcmIWGIO8

Getting a bit cocky. Now I need a new gopro front cover.

http://youtu.be/EHGvUE7Vp2o

Slow and low side fall knocked the air out of me.

Learned a lot today. I need to get better at more reliably lifting the front wheel anytime I want.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #1558
zeroblah
Snot nosed kid

ROFLMAO!
I love it, I to have been working on drills. Only turning though, and i seem to fall just as much if not more. next time maybe you should take someone with you? Keep up the good work and dont let gravity get you down.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #1559
Eaten Dirt
Oilfield Trash

Oddometer: 177
Laugh

PJ u rock. thanks for sharing. I love it
Old 11-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #1560
Ol76r
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Go get your self a trials bike if you want to ride that stuff...........geeesh
The gerbal must have been laughing his ass off