Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #91
maloryII
more north, more wet

Oddometer: 3,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
A, what did the Volt cost you? Wondering if maybe the Volt is right for us, or pay less and get the Jetta TDI Sportwagon.
That would absolutely be my dilemma if I were in the market.

What pushes the Volt ahead, in my opinion, is the straight-up cool factor. I would be able to commute to work and back for 3 days before even needing to plug in. Without using a drop of gasoline. That's pretty damn neat.

I've driven the recent Jetta TDIs and they really are fantastic cars. You're getting a way better payload, that's for sure.

Anorak, what's the tow rating on the Volt when using only the electric motor? Would it tow a couple bikes up a hill at 65 mph?

"The pen & sword, in accord."
"It's never over in a Rover."
maloryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #92
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,222
Quote:
A, what did the Volt cost you? Wondering if maybe the Volt is right for us, or pay less and get the Jetta TDI Sportwagon.
$43k including tax and license. You are going to pay a premium for the novelty of the Volt which may not be enough to justify the expense over the VW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maloryII View Post
That would absolutely be my dilemma if I were in the market.

What pushes the Volt ahead, in my opinion, is the straight-up cool factor. I would be able to commute to work and back for 3 days before even needing to plug in. Without using a drop of gasoline. That's pretty damn neat.

I've driven the recent Jetta TDIs and they really are fantastic cars. You're getting a way better payload, that's for sure.

Anorak, what's the tow rating on the Volt when using only the electric motor? Would it tow a couple bikes up a hill at 65 mph?
Towing is prohibited by GM. There is some discussion of it on the various forums but I have enough problems with membership in one forum so I don't pay much attention to others.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #93
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
$43k including tax and license. You are going to pay a premium for the novelty of the Volt which may not be enough to justify the expense over the VW.

Towing is prohibited by GM. There is some discussion of it on the various forums but I have enough problems with membership in one forum so I don't pay much attention to others.
Ours listed at 43k (including a cover and other extra stuff) and we added the 8 year warrantee. We had a trade so it's hard to figure out what we paid. We got $5k more than book for our trade and I think a grand off the extra warrantee, so I assume that was the discount. Plus $7.5 in tax credits. When we bought, Volt sales were slow.

Other than the coolness and societal benefit of the Volt, it's difficult to cost justify compared to an economy car. I personally think the Volt compares well to an entry level Lexus or Infiniti.

We've found the operating costs to be minimal, since the commute is around 50 miles.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #94
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post
Ours listed at 43k (including a cover and other extra stuff) and we added the 8 year warrantee. We had a trade so it's hard to figure out what we paid. We got $5k more than book for our trade and I think a grand off the extra warrantee, so I assume that was the discount. Plus $7.5 in tax credits. When we bought, Volt sales were slow.

Other than the coolness and societal benefit of the Volt, it's difficult to cost justify compared to an economy car. I personally think the Volt compares well to an entry level Lexus or Infiniti.

We've found the operating costs to be minimal, since the commute is around 50 miles.
My round trip commute is about 24 miles across a bridge with a $6.00 toll and car pool lanes on the route. Currently, the Volt is exempt from the carpool regulations and bridge tolls. Motorcycles registered with the electronic toll payment system, FastTrack, use the car pool lane at the bridge toll plaza which still has a toll, $2.50. So, it's less expensive for me to drive to work than ride.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

Old 11-18-2012, 06:07 AM   #95
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
If you want to tow with a hybrid car (which a Volt is) you can pick up a couple year old Nissan Altima. They do have a tow rating of 1000 pounds. Not much but enough for a small trailer and a couple bikes.

Driving a Tahoe hybrid (another choice if you need to tow more) offroad is a bit strange. When you see zero oil pressure and it is completely fine it just goes against everything you should know about driving a vehicle.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #96
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,236
Quote:
My round trip commute is about 24 miles across a bridge with a $6.00 toll and car pool lanes on the route. Currently, the Volt is exempt from the carpool regulations and bridge tolls. Motorcycles registered with the electronic toll payment system, FastTrack, use the car pool lane at the bridge toll plaza which still has a toll, $2.50. So, it's less expensive for me to drive to work than ride.
I thought they got rid of all the exemptions for carpool on Bay Area bridges?

Maybe just for motorcycles?
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #97
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 6,996
Quote:

Ouch! I was thinking somewhere around $33K would be more in line. Basically, a bit more than the Prius.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #98
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,027
Quote:
Ouch! I was thinking somewhere around $33K would be more in line. Basically, a bit more than the Prius.
There are barely used ones from $30k
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #99
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,027
Interesting. There were 14 volts listed within 100 miles of me, and 45 Leafs, some for as low as $20k.
I the Leaf is a bigger seller, but the soggy resale is a surprise.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #100
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,926
did anyone mention yet that a tdi will kick this cars ass ?
Old 11-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #101
koncha

Oddometer: 10,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
did anyone mention yet that a tdi will kick this cars ass ?
It's hard to plug in a TDI.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #102
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,560
Geez. Go down to the "why does every car thread turn into a TDI thread' in the basement.

In there, all you TDI fans can hump each others legs and dis all the non-believers.

Some of us don't want to subject ourselves to a VW service and parts department, and the pleasure of a 100+ mile round trip for the privilege.

Let us know how your first automatic transmission service goes outside of the free service plan.

Volt fan boiz can congregate over at gm-volt.com Its like a veritable self-love fest over there.
mark883 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #103
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Geez. Go down to the "why does every car thread turn into a TDI thread' in the basement.

In there, all you TDI fans can hump each others legs and dis all the non-believers.

Some of us don't want to subject ourselves to a VW service and parts department, and the pleasure of a 100+ mile round trip for the privilege.

Let us know how your first automatic transmission service goes outside of the free service plan.

Volt fan boiz can congregate over at gm-volt.com Its like a veritable self-love fest over there.
ohhh noooo, I'm in the 22R/22RE group hug... but we're rusting away, so I gotta get the tdi some air time.

wait, am I behind ?

is the volt the new fangled lectronics-n-stuff 22R love fest ?

dammit. always behind :-(
Old 11-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #104
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by koncha View Post
It's hard to plug in a TDI.
How about in a Minnesota winter?

You have some industry connections. Why does my Volt have a secret glow plug light?

Old 11-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #105
koncha

Oddometer: 10,040
Quote:
How about in a Minnesota winter?

You have some industry connections. Why does my Volt have a secret glow plug light?
I asked. He didn't know. He speculated GM might have thought about a non- or mild-hybrid version with a diesel. Something to help amortorize the dev expense for the platform.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: