Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #16
Brian06 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
I landed an IT job with Tolko Industries in their head office in Vernon. I'm still in awe of how scenic and twisty the roads are out there.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #17
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian06 View Post
I landed an IT job with Tolko Industries in their head office in Vernon. I'm still in awe of how scenic and twisty the roads are out there.
Congrats and colour me jealous. I've been applying for programming jobs since late last winter out there. Lots of work for me in the Vancouver area, but I don't want to live there. I've been applying the Kelowna/Kamloops area.

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #18
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,715
Renting a trailer for $500.00 plus the huge fuel burn may just enough to off set the cost of an open deck utility trailer.

Tarp it, but make sure it's from the bottom up as mentioned previously. Cover the bike with a flannel sheet or an old comforter before you close the tarp. It will prevent scratching of the paint.

Sell the trailer in the spring ...
Old 11-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #19
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
Hey Bungie4, If you are looking to start in an IT position in Kelowna, check out ISM Canada. They have a good starting position available and are always looking to promote from within to higher positions. They are based out of Regina, but now have a large presence in BC with their latest contracts working for the BC Government and the BC Health Authorities. Good pay, great pension plan, great benefits and unionized. ISM Canada is 100% owned by IBM Canada, and the only unionized part of IBM in the world.

Once you get in, you can apply for other positions as they come available. Due to a lot of expansion over the past 8 years, there has been lots of opportunities for advancement. Plus, you can tap into the IBM jobs that come available as well.

Here is a link to a current "Auxiliary Position". 90% of the time the auxiliary positions become full time. This one will be making over $57,000 come Jan.1st, 2013. So pay isn't all that bad to start.

http://www.ismcanada.com/Careers/Cur...DeskAgent.html

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. Just passing along some added info.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #20
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,474
Quote:
So the plan is to move to Vernon BC (from Winnipeg, MB) in December. I need to figure out how to transport my 2 bikes out there. I had been thinking of renting a UHaul open trailer but the bikes would probably end up covered in salt and road grime by the time I got there and they would end up sitting for a few months rusting. I'm just wondering if anyone else has been in this situation before, that other options do I have?

Odds are good we won't have too cold weather that you can't pressure wash them when you get them here. I know that's something you probably haven't considered given not a lot of Canada can say that in the middle of winter
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #21
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,688
Quote:

You realize i think that you are moving to an area that's considered the best street and dirt riding area in Canada,,,,,,,seems like a very good move job wise, and most importantly life qualirty wise.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #22
bungie4
Frostback

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBall View Post
Hey Bungie4, If you are looking to start in an IT position in Kelowna, check out ISM Canada.
Much thanks Dave! I'll check into that right now. I had a great line on a job in Cambridge (not BC, but closer to family and 300 miles south). Did an interview with the placement agency and was told I was by far the most qualified. They were only submitting 3 applicants to the company. That was 2.5 weeks ago. Still haven't heard anything yet. Got my fingers crossed.

I just want the hell outta this place before the snow flies in Dec.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #23
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungie4 View Post
Much thanks Dave! I'll check into that right now. I had a great line on a job in Cambridge (not BC, but closer to family and 300 miles south). Did an interview with the placement agency and was told I was by far the most qualified. They were only submitting 3 applicants to the company. That was 2.5 weeks ago. Still haven't heard anything yet. Got my fingers crossed.

I just want the hell outta this place before the snow flies in Dec.

Sudbury,,,,,,,,yup, I feel your pain buddy.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #24
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,382
U-haul is a pretty good plan. Enclosed ones have tie down points but they are not very secure and I think there is only four. U Haul guy was telling me stories of guys having their heavy cruiser break free and get damaged. Also the roof line is pretty low. I used the open utility trailer with no dramas but ended up buying an enclosed 5x8 which fits either bike easily but not both. A 6x10 might but when I asked for the collective wisdom on hauling two bike everyone said 6x12 is the best bet to give you room. My situation allowed me to make a couple of trips so I went with smaller as it will haul 2x dirt bikes. Spray a little WD on the spoke nips and lube the chains, toss on a blanket and wrap them up on the open trailer and you should be good to go.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #25
Brian06 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
You realize i think that you are moving to an area that's considered the best street and dirt riding area in Canada,,,,,,,seems like a very good move job wise, and most importantly life qualirty wise.
I definitely realize that :) when my wife and I decided to pick up and move we chose the Okanagan as I feel for our hobbies it best suits us.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #26
sherpaguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Check out Alaska Deel on youtube -it might give you some radical ideas
sherpaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #27
optionseeker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
A few years ago, I moved from SW Ontario to Victoria. I bought a brand new enclosed trailer in Ontario and sold it out here for more than I paid, including tax. Check out craigslist, etc to get an idea of trailer values and compare.

J
optionseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #28
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,821
I'm planning to park my bikes in the back of the U-Haul moving truck and just get rid of any furniture that doesn't fit.

It's all about priorities.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #29
bungie4
Frostback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
I'm planning to park my bikes in the back of the U-Haul moving truck and just get rid of any furniture that doesn't fit.

It's all about priorities.
Damn straight!

Old 11-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #30
568V8
Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer: 173
ride em

It would be cheaper to store for a few months and then go get them in the spring.
568V8 is offline   Reply With Quote