ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 201 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 01:55 AM   #5866
ramz
Professional Trail Rider
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salida, CO
Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
There is no current draw when the Montana is off or out of the cradle.
My Garmin rugged mount is wired directly to the battery. When my bike's ignition is switched off with the key, the rugged mount is still powered.

I measured 8 ma draw from the rugged mount when my Montana is in the rugged mount and is turned off and my bike's ignition is switched off.
I measured no draw from the rugged mount when my Montana was removed from the rugged mount.

I use non-rechargeable lithium AA batteries in my Montana for those rare instances when I want to use my Montana and it is not in the rugged mount nor connected to my iMac.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:06 AM   #5867
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
When I'm in map mode with no navigation, is there a pref to not have the way point "pin" drop? I'm having a hard time scrolling around without dropping pins.
You just have to be more careful when you scroll, but if you do drop a pin, the most recent versions of the software for the Montana allow you to remove the pin by clicking the little X in the right side of the pin detail information area.

Here's an example:

__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:55 AM   #5868
labenske
Criminal
 
labenske's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Harpers Ferry, WV
Oddometer: 85
Latest Firmware Rugged Mount issue

I've just updated to 4.60 and now when I power down my unit in the (Still Powered) rugged mount, the screen image gets corrupted. I can repeat this issue. Anyone else able to repeat this bug?
__________________
-Coop

2012 R1200GSA Triple Dirt

If the army still used flame throwers, I'd have never left.
labenske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:08 AM   #5869
atlas cached
OX Ambassador
 
atlas cached's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by labenske View Post
I've just updated to 4.60 and now when I power down my unit in the (Still Powered) rugged mount, the screen image gets corrupted. I can repeat this issue. Anyone else able to repeat this bug?
How so? Can you snap a quick photo of the corrupted screen?
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #5870
socaltrailrider
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Tustin, CA
Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by socaltrailrider View Post
I did check ems.com. The 600 is $499.99 right now. I'm going to keep an eye on the site though.
Checked a few sites this morning to see if any sales have started and ems.com had it for $399. . Ordered and on its way!
__________________
2009 BMW K1200LT
KTM 300XC
KTM 525 EXC
socaltrailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #5871
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow
 
pizzaboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Aledo, Texas
Oddometer: 1,012
yeah, I think they've had that price going for a while, great deal. I'm waiting until black friday or about, hoping to get the best deal.
__________________
Indecision always goes to the left...

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #5872
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer
 
Rocky TFS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Hailey, Idaho
Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
When I'm in map mode with no navigation, is there a pref to not have the way point "pin" drop? I'm having a hard time scrolling around without dropping pins.
Nope, we all hate that too. But you can get rid of it by clicking the X in the upper right corner. It happens to me mostly when trying to zoom and many of us have begged the Beta team to make the zoom buttons slightly bigger. They should also make it a double click to activate the waypoint drop pin!
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:55 AM   #5873
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 5,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by labenske View Post
I've just updated to 4.60 and now when I power down my unit in the (Still Powered) rugged mount, the screen image gets corrupted. I can repeat this issue. Anyone else able to repeat this bug?
If you mean this↴ It's been reported.



Cheers,
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #5874
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 5,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Nope, we all hate that too. But you can get rid of it by clicking the X in the upper right corner. It happens to me mostly when trying to zoom and many of us have begged the Beta team to make the zoom buttons slightly bigger. They should also make it a double click to activate the waypoint drop pin!
Of course, you can always just ignore the "drop pin" and go about your scrolling. Once you are finished, just press the "return" button and the pin will go away.

Cheers,
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #5875
Shov3BR
Tinkerer
 
Shov3BR's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Edmond, OK
Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
My Garmin rugged mount is wired directly to the battery. When my bike's ignition is switched off with the key, the rugged mount is still powered.

I measured 8 ma draw from the rugged mount when my Montana is in the rugged mount and is turned off and my bike's ignition is switched off.
I measured no draw from the rugged mount when my Montana was removed from the rugged mount.

I use non-rechargeable lithium AA batteries in my Montana for those rare instances when I want to use my Montana and it is not in the rugged mount nor connected to my iMac.
Aarrgh - my bad. Of course the Montana draws current even when it is off since it is charging the battery.
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #5876
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer
 
MizzouRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Fly over zone
Oddometer: 1,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by socaltrailrider View Post
Checked a few sites this morning to see if any sales have started and ems.com had it for $399. . Ordered and on its way!
I went ahead and ordered one also.
It looks like everyone goes with the rugged mount?
I'm going to try and standardize on just the Montana. I've had a 60CSx on the 650, and a 2730 on the 1200.
I'm not tech enough to keep up with both. (I really can't keep up with either.)
Is there a "getting started with a Montana" thread somewhere? This is like 5 million pages..
Thanks,
Jeff
__________________
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:09 AM   #5877
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché
 
Yossarian™'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: the 'Ha
Oddometer: 9,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
I went ahead and ordered one also.
It looks like everyone goes with the rugged mount?
I'm going to try and standardize on just the Montana. I've had a 60CSx on the 650, and a 2730 on the 1200.
I'm not tech enough to keep up with both. (I really can't keep up with either.)
Is there a "getting started with a Montana" thread somewhere? This is like 5 million pages..
Thanks,
Jeff
Go here:

http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/
__________________
Successfully surviving motorcycling since 1976.
Yossarian™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #5878
guavadude
de-composer
 
guavadude's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Oddometer: 696
There's a Montana FAQ linked on Embeedee's sig.
The rugged mount is the way to go.
Not sure about everyone else but on gpscity.com someone posted pics and a ram mount parts list using the 1.5" balled larger ram parts. I went with this and it seems like the way to go. It's very stable and easy to lock down. Lots of options for mounting depending on your bike and where you want it.

I got the 2013 NT map DVD and Amps mount from gps4us.com since gpscity was out of mounts. Seems there's an issue with the torx locking screw on some mounts and they were recalled, so confirm availability on that.

Honestly I'm not sure you need the garmin maps. The OSM maps are free, routable and seem to be more detailed. I'm a noob but am using these maps so maybe I'm missing why the garmin maps are better.

What I REALLY want are the Mapquest OSM terrain (not topo) maps but I haven't found a download for them yet or if a downloadable version exists.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #5879
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer
 
MizzouRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Fly over zone
Oddometer: 1,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
There's a Montana FAQ linked on Embeedee's sig.
The rugged mount is the way to go.
Not sure about everyone else but on gpscity.com someone posted pics and a ram mount parts list using the 1.5" balled larger ram parts. I went with this and it seems like the way to go. It's very stable and easy to lock down. Lots of options for mounting depending on your bike and where you want it.

I got the 2013 NT map DVD and Amps mount from gps4us.com since gpscity was out of mounts. Seems there's an issue with the torx locking screw on some mounts and they were recalled, so confirm availability on that.

Honestly I'm not sure you need the garmin maps. The OSM maps are free, routable and seem to be more detailed. I'm a noob but am using these maps so maybe I'm missing why the garmin maps are better.

What I REALLY want are the Mapquest OSM terrain (not topo) maps but I haven't found a download for them yet or if a downloadable version exists.
Thanks,
I had found the Montana FAQ. Good info. I have lots to learn.
Is the Amp Ball different from the standard Ram Ball mount? I've already got Ram Mounts on both bikes. I was hoping to just get two of the Rugged Mounts and would be good to go..
Looks like I'll order the screen cover/film also.
Thx
__________________
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #5880
guavadude
de-composer
 
guavadude's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Oddometer: 696
the AMP mount is a four screw mount so you'll need one of those with a 1" ball to use with your existing RAM mounts.
The rugged mount comes with 3 Garmin screen protectors.

Good time for me to ask, what is everyone's preference on screen protectors?
I know Drytbike Dan likes the Zagg. I grabbed some of those but am wondering if people like the Garmin protectors too.
Seems like the Zagg are not anti-glare or smudge proof, is that a big deal?


I have lots to learn too but it's pretty much all in this thread somewhere!
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014