User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #16
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,180
Hi Jost (and Welcome),
I also really like your project. It looks neat and practical. There are lots of these DOHC Hondas around going to waste, it's good to see one being thoughtfully modified. Good idea blacking out those ComStar wheels. Trust us Old Farts though, the only thing that looks less than good is the low headlight. Keep it tucked in close to the forks, but raise it up a bit. Would we lie to you?
Also, snow? Already? That's miserable.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:39 AM   #17
Bavarian Honda OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Progress

Made some Progress, I guess.
worked on the bike for 12 hours and this is the result:

Would have helped, if had somebody to help me get that 88kg engine out or to have some sort of bike lift.

What came as a surprise to me: not a single screw or bolt gave some actual resistance and I got them all out.

Not bad for a 30 year old bike that stood in the rain for the last eight months.

I will write a more detailed report with pictures and answer your replies when I get back to Munich tomorrow.

Jost.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:46 AM   #18
spdjnky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Love the direction of the project.

Just my humble opinion... after you take all the pictures of the bike during tear down transfer them to a flash drive. I have heard too many peoples computers crashing and they are out of luck.
I used electricians number cards to label every plug and circuit on my CB750 when I disassembled it. I wont remember everything otherwise.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:55 AM   #19
bmwloco
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,180
Airhead #371
bmwloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #20
Euromad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Very impressed BavNoo! Your photoshop design is awesome.
My suggestion is to do modifications in stages.
This allows you to do a certain amount of work and then ride it until you're ready for the next step.
Doesn't exhaust your money as quickly and you can spend more time getting the right piece for each detail.
Good luck!
Euromad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #21
Bavarian Honda OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
I really like the direction you're headed.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post
Hi Jost (and Welcome),
I also really like your project. It looks neat and practical. There are lots of these DOHC Hondas around going to waste, it's good to see one being thoughtfully modified. Good idea blacking out those ComStar wheels. Trust us Old Farts though, the only thing that looks less than good is the low headlight. Keep it tucked in close to the forks, but raise it up a bit. Would we lie to you?
Also, snow? Already? That's miserable.
Cheers. Well, the final position of the headlight will be chosen in real-life and adjusted, not in Photoshop. But that bridge, I will cross, when I stand in front of it.
About the snow: that was one of the earliest recordings of snow in Germany, ever. But I love the snow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdjnky View Post
Love the direction of the project.

Just my humble opinion... after you take all the pictures of the bike during tear down transfer them to a flash drive. I have heard too many peoples computers crashing and they are out of luck.
Thanks again. When tearing the bike apart, I misplaced my compact camera and had to borrow my mother's crappy Casio. Most of the photos are rubbish, I realised afterwards. Did not want to use my SLR with my greasy hands.
Apart from two separate back-up harddrives, I have the photos on dropbox. Should do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euromad View Post
Very impressed BavNoo! Your photoshop design is awesome.
My suggestion is to do modifications in stages.
This allows you to do a certain amount of work and then ride it until you're ready for the next step.
Doesn't exhaust your money as quickly and you can spend more time getting the right piece for each detail.
Good luck!
Cheers! I might do some sketches, when I find the motivation. Must be somewhere around here.
Modification in stages was my plan, too. Might do the suspension (17" + Thunderace forks & brakes, etc...) next Winter.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #22
Bavarian Honda OP
Adventurer

Hey!
Sorry, It's been a while since my last post. I've been quite busy.

Now, I'll try to give a detailed report of how the disassembly of my bike went:

Loading the bike in my mother's van wasn't too hard, thanks to a friend and a little ramp from my mother's wheelchair.

I strapped it down properly and all went smooth. 90 minutes later I was there.

By the way, this is the view form my mother's garage:

The front lift, I had was quite useless since I forgot the pin/rod that goes into the steerer/stem.

So I only lifted the bike up on the swing lift. Previous owner has ditched the centerstand, because the 4-in-1 exaust system does not allow it. I would have gotten rid of it anyways. I know, It's practical, but...

As you can see: simple garage - no table, no fancy bike lift, no fancy tools, exept my two Knipex pliers (1x big Cobra, 1x big Wirecutters - unbelievable quality and worth every cent!).

First thing after taking some photos was I let the bike run warm, then I drained the oil, changed the filter and seals and took a look at the oil-drain screw. Seems like the previous owner installed one with a magnet. There was a very tiny bit of metallic dust on the magnet, really no visible chips or so. The oil was dark.

I did not fill any oil back in. Is that bad? I am going to buy a torque wrench soon and the tighten the drain screw. The srew is in but not fully tight.

I took plenty of pictures during the disassembly and packed everything in transparent, labeled ziplock bags. screws, I put in the little bags and ziptied them to the part.

In the beginning it was all quite fun and I made good progress:

Then I reached a point, where things got more complicated:

I realised, that I wouldn't be able to lift out the engine by myself without help.
Proplem was: It was already 11PM and I did not want to stress any neighbours. Also I had to get done that night, because the garage was needed the next day and I had to get back to Munich to work.

Well, I thought, If I can't get the engine out of the motorcycle, then I could take the motorcycle off the engine.

So I took of off, the back wheel, swingarm, chain, shocks, etc.

Wenn I took off the frontwheel the whole bike tipped over just a little bit and the handlebar hit me really hard against the bottom of my chin. Really, this went extremely fast and after the stars went away I felt something like sand in my mouth. Turns out I broke off a tiny bit of the tip of my left, upper corner tooth. (Back in Munich, my flatmade who studies dentistry, said it's nothing to worry about and offered to polish it out at our kitchen table which I friendly declined)

So far I guess, it sounds pretty straight forward, but I that Honda did not give up that easy.

12 hours later, though the score was: machine: 1 point, man: two points!

Then I built an ugly, little engine stand, cleaned up the garage and got some well deserved sleep.

What's to add?
-The engine looks very dry, only arround the little, black panel behind the cylinders on the left side (see photo above), there's a bit of oil.
-The caruretor look very clean, exept for the one for cylinder number 2. Didn't take any photos of that, but will do that the next time, I'm there.
-No fins broken on the engine.
-The fork bearings are bad and were very tight/ceased.

I drove the frame and swingarm back to munich in the back of my Mercedes 190. I hust managed to queese it on the back seat.

Last week, did something spontaneous on ebay... You know how these things go...
I bought a super nice swing arm of a Yamaha XJR 1200 and It is beautiful!
I did some quick measurements: the position of the rear wheel is about 5cm further back, the width of the swingarm at the pivot is only 1mm more than the Honda swing arm.

I will do some more and precise measurements and upload photos of the swingarm in the next couple of days.

Bavarian Honda screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 03:59 PM
Bavarian Honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:56 AM   #23
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 494
Neat. I'll be interested in seeing the swing arm swap.
Kt-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #24
thumpism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
In 1974 I rode my bicycle up to the front door of that building in the background of the photo taken from the garage.
thumpism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #25
Ironhead
But Itsa Dry Heat

Oddometer: 769
I'm glad I don't have a view like that from my garage!
I'd never get a damn thing done

" Lord grant me patience, because if you grant me strength, I'll need bail money and a lawyer to go along with it"
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote