Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #49111
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsdad View Post
let me preface by saying i'm a fan of mendoteach, and follow his advice word for word, typically; however, my experience was much different in the aftermarket exhaust realm. i put the vance and hines xcr exhaust on (with a ceramic coated stock header), and it made a HUGE difference to me. i'm 250 lbs, and it will pull wheelies much easier now, even in third with a good yank of the bars and a little clutch. power over all is much better through the whole curve, with quite a bit more top end than before. my exhaust is definitely on the loud side, fyi. just my $0.02.
First, thanks for being my first ever fan. Second, I don't think the FMF Q is the power monger of aftermarket exhausts. The one thing I was very disappointed with was the weight. You hear all these stories of how pounds get shed with them. I was hoping for something substantially lighter. It made a difference, mostly on top, but pretty subtle compared to the nearly free Dave's mods. My stock exhaust also had the welds ground on the header for whatever that's worth.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #49112
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
+2 on the JB weld. I used a dremel to rough up the case surface and the back of the saver then taped off the area that I wanted the JB weld on as Steve advised me in the past . It worked out great. I wouldn't trust the silicone to hold up either, just doesn't seem like the right tool for the job.

Here's a pic of mine...

-Barron
NEVER underestimate the power of silicone on a clean surface!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #49113
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReferJohn View Post
Hey Prince-- is that the stock front rotor?
Bike looks Great in SUMO form, might get a new SUMO front fender.
I just ordered 17's on saturday
John, I have a BRAND NEW in the package Honda Red Acerbis Sumo Fender. Was about $45, yours for $25 shipped (should be cheap since you are 50 miles away).
Old 11-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #49114
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

I know this is not the spot for this, and that this little spun crack monkey is the polar opposite of our "dirt couches", but Wednesday I picked up this. Couldn't resist, I love my '99 RM250; it is very trick and in great shape, but the '06 was pretty much the last major revision the bike saw. God save the smokers! This thing had a few hours on it and was basically new. Hell yeah!

Old 11-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #49115
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
I know this is not the spot for this, and that this little spun crack monkey is the polar opposite of our "dirt couches", but Wednesday I picked up this. Couldn't resist, I love my '99 RM250; it is very trick and in great shape, but the '06 was pretty much the last major revision the bike saw. God save the smokers! This thing had a few hours on it and was basically new. Hell yeah!

I recognize the forks!
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #49116
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
I recognize the forks!
You have the 49mm Showas, I think these are 47s. They only used those beasts for a couple years. Not sure there is a better fork for our beasts than those RM forks you have.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #49117
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
NEVER underestimate the power of silicone on a clean surface!

It holds together great on the fish tanks I've built. My largest was 150 gallons.

That said I still use JB weld.

I can remove silicone on parts and clean up is easy. JB weld won't just come off.
MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #49118
ReferJohn
3RD Generation Rider

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
John, I have a BRAND NEW in the package Honda Red Acerbis Sumo Fender. Was about $45, yours for $25 shipped (should be cheap since you are 50 miles away).
Mendo---please hold this for me. pm will be sent. I am at work on my tablet- kind of a PITA
to do.
Stand by for details this evening
Thanks
John
BTW. - KICK ASS RM YOU PICKED UP
Old 11-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #49119
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

FWIW, my JB welded one fell off eventually. I used silicone this time. Time will tell. One great advantage to silicone is that it is far more tolerant of vibration and flexing. JB weld will and does crack. Essentially, it is just epoxy. That said, I don't leave home without it. There's nothing better in the field for fixing a myriad of problems.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #49120
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReferJohn View Post
Mendo---please hold this for me. pm will be sent. I am at work on my tablet- kind of a PITA
to do.
Stand by for details this evening
Thanks
John
BTW. - KICK ASS RM YOU PICKED UP
It's yours. I wasn't going to sell it to anyone until I heard from you. You're the one who wanted it
Old 11-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #49121
XR BADGER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39

Went the epoxy route, let you know how it holds up.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #49122
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,432
Quote:
You have the 49mm Showas, I think these are 47s. They only used those beasts for a couple years. Not sure there is a better fork for our beasts than those RM forks you have.
I think the 49s were 1999 and 2000. Mine are off of a 2000. Yours look just like mine. I have a spare billet top triple if you ever get the itch to go to fatbars and dont want to futz with adapters.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #49123
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:

SWEET!!! Nothing like a dirt-only play toy like that!

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #49124
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
I had a couple RM250's back when I was 20 something in the 70's. We used to tear up the strip mines with them. Still have a bum shoulder from it too. Great fun but I couldn't hang these days.

John
Old 11-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #49125
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=ThumpnRed;20078652]I think the 49s were 1999 and 2000. Mine are off of a 2000. Yours look just like mine. I have a spare billet top triple if you ever get the itch to go to fatbars and dont want to futz with adapters.

Thanks for the offer. I would take you up on it if I did t already have billet clamps on my '99. You are correct that those were the two years that they had the 49s on the RMs. Also of note, those were the first twin chamber forks offered to the market. Most of the A kit kilo buck forms the racers get are 49s.