Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
roadspirit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
only 10 days for Colombia, where should we go?

After this bad luck, we now have only 10 days that we can "use" to travel in Colombia.
Starting from the border with Quito, at Ipiales, what route and which places should we choose to visit, keeping in mind that we must be back in Ecuador in only 10 days, and that we are not fit to ride everyday for 500+ kms, we need 1 or 2 days to rest in between.

I'm thinking of following the route to Calli, Popoyan, Medellin, then back south, ride the "circuito cafeteras" (manizales, pereira, armenia, ibague), then again back to Popoyan, Calli, border.

Another choice would be after Medellin to continue north just to see Cartagena (is it really such a beautiful city?), but then time is enough just to reverse the route back to the border.

Thoughts, advices?
Thank you!

south america trip
roadspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Habibi Rocks
Banned

Oddometer: 58
Just a little North of Bogota is the beautiful small city of Tunja Boyaca with historical sites like "Puente de Boyaca".

In Tunja i stayed at the Hotel El Cid located on the plaza . not bad for approx. 9 euro (one person)
And if you like beef cooked over wood Tunja has it. Delicious !!!!!!!
next would be Socorro, Bucamaranga to Cartagena ... if your time permits .

Also , less than an hour from Tunja is " Villa de Leyva "

Habibi Rocks screwed with this post 11-16-2012 at 06:39 PM Reason: error
Habibi Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
Parcero
Mundial

Oddometer: 520
I think your idea of following the route to Cali, Popoyan, Medellín, then back south, ride the "circuito cafeteras" is a good one. On the way to or from Medellín you could start back through Mesopotamia. It's a very small but cool town southwest of Medellín. Check it out on a map. Take Via Las Palmas out of Medellín (starts near El Poblado.) Then follow signs to La Ceja, La Union, and then Mesopotamia. Nothing but twisties all the way. From there you can go to Abejorral, another very nice little town. From Mesopotamia to Abejorral it's all dirt. Could be some challenging road conditions especially after rain. After Abejorral, you can go to Sonsón (more cool roads) or head east to route 25 and boogie back to Medellín. Or, you can spend the night and then head south into the Coffee Zone the next day.

I would also recommend checking out the very picturesque Tatacoa desert, Popayan (the white city), San Agustin (great ancient ruins). Don't miss Las Lajas Sanctuary just outside of Ipiales.

If you stay in Cali, I would suggest staying at the Casa Blanca hostel. It's very biker friendly, especially since it's owned by Mike Thomsen, who also owns Motolombia. If Mike's around, he can certainly suggest some excellent routes.

You can have more fun in Colombia in 10 days than you can have in many other places in a month. Ride safe!

Light Dual Sport Fun in Michigan

R1200GS / KLR650 / XR400 / XR250 / 1950 Panhead
Parcero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,548
Short on time and wanting to stay in Southern Colombia I would go out to Buenaventura on the new road from Cali and return on the old road to Cali which is totally awesome and worth it imho. Drive through water falls.

Also if you have a little bit of time a motorail trip to San Ciperano (sp?) is a fun time.

Lots of good riding in the South of Colombia too. Previously mentioned San Agustin and the Death Road of Colombia from Mocoa to Pasto is nice and curvy mountain road. Beware of the Mouth of the Wolf section above Popayan corridor crossing to the coast South of Buenaventura, a little hot area for the drug trade.

Colombia is the greatest, you should rearrange everything and stay longer
Old 11-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
Habibi Rocks
Banned

Oddometer: 58

Thanks dude , I gotta check that road out.
Habibi Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote