ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 06:47 AM   #54481
mic_detonator
ride

Oddometer: 793
someone has the fever at my job......

mic_detonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:17 AM   #54482
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic_detonator View Post

Is the car orange too? I'm color blind and not 100% sure. ;)
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:13 AM   #54483
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
He's got a point. Sorry that all these issues popped up on you at once, but these are all normal maintenance items, except maybe the excessive WP shaft wear. These things need replaced on any other bike that gets ridden in the dirt often. A seal is made to keep dirt out, and they do a decent job for a while, but eventually they need replaced no matter what bike: fork seals, wheel bearing seals, waterpump seals, countershaft sprocket seals- I've seen them all go bad on every type of bike that was ridden often in the dirt. Same for the drive chain and a cable wearing out (whether it's a throttle cable, clutch cable, or decompression cable), they are normal maintenance items, regardless if the bike is orange, blue, yellow, or red.

Keep in mind that almost every orange thumper sees a lot of time offroad. Conversely, there are a shit ton of Jap dual sports out there that rarely, if ever, see any time offroad. IMO, that's why these issues seem more common with KTMs. But a Jap bike would see the same issues just as often if ridden the same way. I know because I've had several of both. One of my closest riding buds who always torments the guys with KTMs just dropped a couple valves on his KLX250s. Guess what, that bike was well maintained, but saw a lot of hard offroad miles.
Again I know some of these things are wear items, but it doesn't mean they were due to break or that I'm happy that they all went this weekend. And, I especially hate to see a gremlin that's got no easy fix. And, again, that's ok I knew what I was getting into when I bought the bike. There are no doubt some Japanese bikes that are just as bad, but I haven't owned one, and some of them were ridden hard before I got them. Mostly, the things I replaced on my bikes were things I broke and that's a comforting feeling to ride a bike that's never asked to be opened up, and doesn't have the reputation for it either. It isn't as nice when you have a bike with a known issue that's a ticking clock until it hits you again. No one likes that, so I'm venting. Yeah, I could have bought one of those Jap airheads again, but I wanted the thrill of a big KTM again and I also bought the headaches even if some of them are wear items.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #54484
mic_detonator
ride

Oddometer: 793
[QUOTE=indypup;20075976].

Is the car orange too?

Yes sir, looks like they caught the bug lol. Sorry im full of bad jokes today.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2
mic_detonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #54485
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
Spamola

Who wants a new Suzuk?

Stop by Pony Powersports Black Friday (11/23) through the following Monday (11/26) & have your picture taken sitting on the new Suzuki of your choice.

Please make sure there is a Pony Powersports representative in the photo with you.

Go to Suzuki's facebook page and follow their directions for uploading and entering the contest. www.facebook.com/suzukicycles

One random photo will be selected & that person will win the new Suzuki of their choice.

The odds on this contest are pretty good. I do not remember the exact number last year, but I think there was less than 1,000 entries. I'd love to see a Pony Powersports customer as the winner this year.

See you this weekend!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #54486
blackdiamondmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
That's a pretty good video, Buildit! Good story telling concept. -Mike
blackdiamondmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #54487
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
Who wants a new Suzuki?

See you this weekend!

you guys having any big Black Friday sales?

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #54488
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
you guys having any big Black Friday sales?
There will be lots of stuff, I'll post it up on our FB page. The big thing is an additional 10% off all closeout stuff. Some of that stuff, like the Yamaha Alpinestars gear is already marked dwon super low & will get an extra 10% off for Fri, Sat & Sun.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #54489
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
The seal is relatively cheap, but it's a crap design and the 20 page thread on KTMtalk with hundreds of people having the same issue details why...the seals wear too quickly into the cam shaft and from that point on you're applying a band aid that doesn't last. Some guys get very little miles before the cam shaft is worn. The cam is going to have to come out, which is a $170 part + the seal kit.

A better coating might have prevented this from being a recurring issue, or a sleeved design that could be re-fit without removing the cam. I don't know how many miles are on the bike, so that's a legitimate point it might be long past due on the cam, but from what I've read they can wear the groove prematurely.
Take a look at the Redi-Sleeves page near the top of the document and the size chart on page 130. Could this work?
http://www.timken.com/en-us/products/seals/industrial/products/Documents/7707.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
As for the chain, rollers falling off isn't normal wear IMHO, unless the chain is old and this one appears to be fairly new.
Do you know what kind of chain and what lube has been used? If the 525 has seen much road use, you can expect it to be hammering on the chain without a cush drive. Cheap chains fail faster (usually) and some lubes do little to cushion the thump from your big piston.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #54490
motodirtlover
Motodirtlover

Oddometer: 1,017
That chain was a relatively new "parts unlimited" o-ring off-road chain. It had about 200 miles on it when Swingset procured the machine.I've had hit and miss success with those. For $70, they generally work well, but I do "over-lube" chains after I wash the bike. Some last a lot longer than others. If you want a super long-lasting chain, buy either a Regina (best), RK , or DID.

As far as the cam, when Holycaveman had it apart last year rebuilding it, it looked perfect. No grooves. The engine ice coolant may have contributed to the early wear (due to the silica content), but that is unknown. There haven't been that many miles since the rebuild. (I'd guess 2-3K).

I agree with Swingset though, the KTM RFS cam is a known sore spot for wear. There is an aftermarket cam guy that makes one with an extra-hardened sleeve at the wear point by the seal.

RFS bikes can be a little service-prone when you ride them alot, but they will run a LONG time if you take care of them.
I love those things.
motodirtlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #54491
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic_detonator View Post

That's like putting a BMW badge on a KLR, it's just sad.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #54492
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post

around here I see a lot of econo-boxes with Harley stickers all over em...equally sad

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #54493
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
around here I see a lot of econo-boxes with Harley stickers all over em...equally sad
Not the same. HD on a Ford Fiesta is like a FOX racing sticker on on a chicks car. Has nothing to actually do with riding...... well, different type of riding.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #54494
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by motodirtlover View Post
That chain was a relatively new "parts unlimited" o-ring off-road chain. It had about 200 miles on it when Swingset procured the machine.I've had hit and miss success with those. For $70, they generally work well, but I do "over-lube" chains after I wash the bike. Some last a lot longer than others. If you want a super long-lasting chain, buy either a Regina (best), RK , or DID.

As far as the cam, when Holycaveman had it apart last year rebuilding it, it looked perfect. No grooves. The engine ice coolant may have contributed to the early wear (due to the silica content), but that is unknown. There haven't been that many miles since the rebuild. (I'd guess 2-3K).

I agree with Swingset though, the KTM RFS cam is a known sore spot for wear. There is an aftermarket cam guy that makes one with an extra-hardened sleeve at the wear point by the seal.

RFS bikes can be a little service-prone when you ride them alot, but they will run a LONG time if you take care of them.
I love those things.
Thanks for the info, I suspected the chain puked too early. I've only put about 200 miles on it, and it's been well lubed the whole time..most of my miles were offroad.

I have looked into sleeving the cam, but it looks like it's a little too skinny for ready-sleeves and someone machining one for me would likely be the same cost as a new cam, so it's a wash....same with a grind and coating, you're talking $150 at least in shop time for that, and hell there's a new cam....tho it may last longer than an OEM. Not sure. I don't know what's involved in replacement, I'm hoping I don't have to break the cam chain and pull the motor, I haven't found a thread detailing its replacement yet but I'm sure someone knows.

I lucked out and found a NOS decompression cable on fleabay for $10 shipped, so I'm gold there and the CS seal kit/washer is en route. I'll probably put a Primary Drive chain kit on, they've been really good on both bikes I tried them on, for the money I think they're the best deal going on chains. I tend to take good care of my chains, and they've lasted a long time. I imagine this one probably was a defect or a case of a pin/roller not getting any lube from the factory and it burned it up and made it brittle.

I'm loving the bike when it's healthy tho, I can't wait to take it out to the desert next year...it's going to be a blast on those fast open single tracks.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #54495
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
What? You don't like my stickers?
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is online now   Reply With Quote