User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #46
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
94 VFR750

Wanted that bike for years. Owned it for less then one season. Ergos were all wrong and the "whine" from the geardriven camshafts drove me crazy. I can't believe some people like that noise .
PAULIBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #47
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
Triumph Tiger 1050

Probably the worst bike I've ever ridden. Too Tall, Too fat right where your knees are, carries it's weight way too high and the worst fuel injection metering I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing.

I rode it home in evening traffic and back to the city the next morning, thought I was going to have to see a Dr for whiplash at the end of it.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #48
mattness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
vstrom 1k - couldnt "feel" the road at all. motor shook too bad past 7k rpm. i thought it sounded like a honda 400ex 4 wheeler. and it was just boring.

honda shadow 750 - no power! nuff said.

Honda Fury - more power, but get it above 60 MPH and its a chore to stay on the bastage. but it sounds great!
mattness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #49
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,813
Early 2000's Buel X1: I test rode this beast at the MotoGP when manufacturers used to bring a fleet just for the fans to try out. While power wheelies in multiple gears was fun, it could only be done in a very narrow RPM range (about 3500-5000). Below that it had bad valve ping, above that the power curve was flat as a pancake. Pretty narrow usable range.

Mid-90's Kawasaki KLR650: I swapped bikes with a friend briefly while off-roading, and I could not believe how large and heavy the 650 felt compared to my Honda XL600R. He ended up crashing it later that day because the terrain was too rough for such a monster.

Ducati Hypermotard: I wanted one of these so bad I could taste it. As soon as I sat on the bike, I knew it didn't feel right. It felt like the handlebars were up against my knees, and I would surely go over the bars if I got on the brakes too hard. A week later I sat on an Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 at the San Mateo International Motorcycle Show. I had never heard of it until that day. As soon as my butt hit the seat, I wanted one so bad I could taste it...
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #50
ViperJustin
Aerial Gunner

Oddometer: 558
Based on test rides:

Hypermotard. Just like everyone else said, you feel like you're sitting directly over the front tire. Loved the sound, loved the fact that it wheelied anytime you were more than half throttle. And it looked awesome.

R1200 GSA. Loved the way it looks. Loved how I fit on it (6'5"). But it was a bore compared to my MegaMoto.
08 MegaMoto #99529
ViperJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #51
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,181
I really, really, really wanted to love the Buell Ulysses, but after three test rides, it just didn't push my fun button. I decided that preferred a bike with a light crank/flywheel that likes to rev.
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #52
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,259
Been lucky to own a lot of bikes and ride even more.

Some of the offenders that I wanted to like: (to be fair most were new or close to it or in exceptional shape, and the tire pressures etc., were correct)

Cagiva 650 Alaruzza SS. I owned this for awhile, sort of a Mini VFR - wooden brakes, nice power band, but real slow to rev, a bit heavy and underpowered - surprise, very reliable and well put together. Bonus: Best sounds with the Bubb pipes.

Guzzi V50 Monza, loved the bike for its size, handling and light weight, super stable, but no torque, no real power, terrible way too wide gearing, which of course could not be changed.

'78 Honda CB750F. This was one of the Japanese bikes that were now supposed to handle. The flops over in corners kind of handling, required a lot of something to get it back up, what a chore. Felt piggish to me.

'99 or so Laverda 750 - their attempted comeback. Sweet handling, brakes, looks, but it was withering (in a bad way) when you realized the engine is just a larger 1970 Honda 350 that behaves, and sounds, just like one.

Kawasaki: EX500, mush all around, everything felt like mush. It was new too.

2008 Kawasaki EX250 - nicer than a EX500, but a chore to rev and ride, felt heavy. I like the 1994 - 2007 versions better.

1998 Honda VTR1000 - lovely engine. Twist and go, then get gas at 85 - 100 miles. Brakes pretty good, but another flopper in the corners, same heaviness to rightitself.

2008 Kawasaki KLR. I bought it, total crap. Brakes, power, vibes, uncomfortable, crap rusting as you watched. Good range though - but that made it worse, having to put up with misery for so long at a time.

1997 or so Honda CB750 Nighthawk - boring, everything felt muted and vague.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #53
beanmop
dude

Oddometer: 11
Honda Hawk NT 650. On paper it had so many great attributes and it looked cool too. It was a very unsatisfying ride though. Got outta that cult.
beanmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #54
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
94 VFR750

Wanted that bike for years. Owned it for less then one season. Ergos were all wrong and the "whine" from the geardriven camshafts drove me crazy. I can't believe some people like that noise .
My 94 VFR was one of my favorites, and I've had a lot! I LOVED the gear drive whine!
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #55
agspecialties
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
I hounded a guy who had a 1968 Triumph Tiger to sell it to me. After i bought it and wrenched on it, i rode it about a half of dozen times and couldn't wait to get rid of it. I am a big guy and i was told it looked like a "monkey fucking a football". So i sold the thing.
agspecialties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #56
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Harley Sportsters, be it 883, 1200, XR1200 etc. I really REALLY want to like these things but every time I take one out, all I can think of is "Is this damned ride over yet?" They are slow, heavy, ill handling and crude.

Yamaha FZ1 2001. People raved about the tube framed naked R1. I found it to be peaky an dlacking at anything under 4500 rpm which at that point it would scream to life like a 600 super sport. It was awful. Later I rode of one the first 16 valve FZ1's the result of a total redesign. Now that was a machine! Lots of pwoer through out the rev range. Funny thing, all the magaszines called these second generation FZ1's peaky.

Yamaha FJR1300. It was blowing hot air at me like I was standing in front of a blast furnace, the clutch had no feel and about 1 mm of travel, it stalled on the downshift and just felt...weird.

There are many cruisers I knew I'd hate but took for a demo anyways.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #57
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal View Post
Honda ST1300. Unstable at high speeds, threw an ungodly amount of heat on my legs, heavy and hard to maneuver at low speeds. Just didn't mesh with me. Other people seem to love them.
What he said. Just don't enjoy it.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #58
j_csquare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank.SD View Post
ZX-14R. Wish I would have kept my CBR1100xx. The ninja did everything well but I didn't love it.
Same here. I still have the ZX-14. It has grown on me, but I loved my Blackbird much more. The ZX-14 is way more powerful, but the CBR1100XX was smoother, better looking, had better build quality and was a lot cheaper to run. Simply the best bike I have ever owned.
j_csquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #59
j_csquare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by agspecialties View Post
I am a big guy and i was told it looked like a "monkey fucking a football".
j_csquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #60
NuckaMan
Space Available

Oddometer: 342
Kawi Concours 14.

Overall, it is really is a fantastic motorcycle....lots of power, good handling, decent ergo's, very capable.

But after owning now for several months and several thousand miles....it's just ok. I'll let it go if I really find out I don't enjoy riding it.

2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

2013 Triumph Bonneville
NuckaMan is offline   Reply With Quote