Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #841
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,721
thanks

as always, adv is a bad influence:

just bought the keg, 5lb CO2, regulator, etc.

haven't cleaned the keg yet, but i know it will be a hell of a lot quicker to clean one keg than to wash and sanitize 50 bottles.

hope to be drinking from the keg by the end of the week.

milk stout is ready to move to the keg, only did a primary this time (lazy). i moved the bucket into racking location so it can settle overnight.

anyone want to describe their method for carbonating? do you shake or not? how much pressure?
Old 11-19-2012, 03:40 AM   #842
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,688
Congrats! Youll never bottle again!

There are lots of ways to force carb. I like the simplest. I put the filled keg in the serving fridge. Hook it up to serving pressure, generally around 10-12 psi and forget about it for a week. It'll be carbonated perfectly, all the sediment will have dropped oit and after a pint or two you'll be drinking clear beer with minimal fuss.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:07 AM   #843
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,126
I set it to 20 psi for two days, release the gas, drop it down to about 9 or 10, and it's good to go.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #844
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by discochris View Post
I set it to 20 psi for two days, release the gas, drop it down to about 9 or 10, and it's good to go.
's my exact procedure. After a few 'tuning' days at 9 - 10, I drop it to 6 or so for serving pressure, but that will depend on your line lengths.
Nytelyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:52 AM   #845
Dansrc51
I need a cape....

Oddometer: 1,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Congrats! Youll never bottle again!

There are lots of ways to force carb. I like the simplest. I put the filled keg in the serving fridge. Hook it up to serving pressure, generally around 10-12 psi and forget about it for a week. It'll be carbonated perfectly, all the sediment will have dropped oit and after a pint or two you'll be drinking clear beer with minimal fuss.
I prefer this method. It eliminates all the stupid from the equation such as over carbing, shaking (yeast in your beer), forgetting to adjust and fighting with your regulator. Set it and forget it. Plus, a week is great for clearing your beer.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #846
bergermeister
housin'

Oddometer: 1,846
I'd like to pick up a kit to start brewing, and would appreciate your thoughts. Hopefully under $1k? I can build my own steel rack like the one I've seen in this thread to keep the numbers down. Thinking of going all grain and 5 gal kegging.

Thanks!
bergermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #847
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergermeister View Post
I'd like to pick up a kit to start brewing, and would appreciate your thoughts. Hopefully under $1k? I can build my own steel rack like the one I've seen in this thread to keep the numbers down. Thinking of going all grain and 5 gal kegging.

Thanks!
I brewed 5 gal. all grain batches with a 5 gal bucket with a false bottom, 2x ss pots (5gal&8gal), random hoses and a turkey fryer outside. Oh, and an immersion chiller.
You can get going for $2-400. Don't get sucked into thinking you need an expensive setup. You don't. The SS pots are the only major expense.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #848
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytelyte View Post
's my exact procedure. After a few 'tuning' days at 9 - 10, I drop it to 6 or so for serving pressure, but that will depend on your line lengths.
I've been going lower as well for serving - probably closer to 6-8 as I've had some really foamy batches as of late.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:02 PM   #849
Dansrc51
I need a cape....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergermeister View Post

Thanks!

shop Craigslist. People selling their brew stuff all the time as they upgrade or get bored of brewing (weird I know).

making beer is very easy. making really good beer over and over again takes some trial and error. relax...have a homebrew
Old 11-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #850
bergermeister
housin'

Oddometer: 1,846
thanks guys, those are good suggestions - and, in fact, I will be using my turkey fryer this Thursday!

anyway, the parents and inlaws want some xmas gift ideas, so I can look at new rather than craigslist.
bergermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #851
tootal
Backroad traveler

Oddometer: 195
Well I'm a shaker. You can look up a chart on the web and find out how many Volumes of CO2 is required for the style of beer your making. Look at the chart, know your beer temperature and see where you should set your pressure at. I like to get it about 33 degrees for a couple of days and settle out. Draw off the yeast and then set my CO2 pressure to what's required and start shaking it. I put an OUT connector on the CO2 and put the gas into the OUT post so it bubbles up through the beer. You shake until you don't hear it bubbling anymore. If you have the time to wait by all means do as mentioned above. But using the chart and shaking the keg will carbonate your beer in less than ten minutes and it will be right on. I have never over carbonated using this method. For an example, if you have a pilsner at 40 degress you can use 12 psi on the gauge and shake until there are no more bubbles. Done. Perfect.

The difference between ignorance and stupidity is that you can fix ignorance... if you're not stupid!
tootal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #852
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,185
I set it at 50psi, leave it 24hrs.
Or 30psi for 48hrs.

I serve most beers at 10psi (38deg). Stout at 7ish psi for now. I want a stout faucet! :cool:

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #853
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

I also bottle a six-pack of each batch I keg, using the sugar drops, so I usually have 70-100 bottles sitting in the basement for when people come over, or when I want something different.

About every fourth or fifth batch I brew, I do specifically to bottle, usually for something that I would not want to drink on a weekly basis. (plus, in order to get enough bottles, I get to buy a bunch of good beer - usually Boulevard or Sierra Nevada, since I like their stubby bottles the best). I usually do this with a porter or most recently an Irish Stout. I just tried the first couple bottles of the stout, bottled 10-1, tonight. It's very good, and since I have a Bass clone on tap right now, it makes an excellent Black and Tan.

If I didn't keg, I'd probably have lost interest long ago. Bottling is messy and a pain IMO. As it is, I brew once a month or so.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #854
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,721
50 psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
I set it at 50psi, leave it 24hrs.
Or 30psi for 48hrs.

I serve most beers at 10psi (38deg). Stout at 7ish psi for now. I want a stout faucet! :cool:

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.
i'm going to try this method.

i can wait for 24 hrs. i can't wait for two weeks. i'm hoping to be trying this stout tomorrow night, and hopefully filling a few bottles to bring along for the weekend.

good thing i don't keep food in the fridge:

Old 11-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #855
Dansrc51
I need a cape....

Make sure you check the pressure rating on your corney. most are only rated to 35 PSI. that being said, I've gone over that before, but you should know before you take a risk. most likely it will just leak, YMMV

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: